I hate Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spotless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have already finished Chem 1 and I believe I got an B or B+. But as it goes for Biology 100, I totally screwed up. I think I got a B - (minus). I hate the teacher. But this next semester, I am going full out and try my best to succeed as a Pre-med.

Because I screwed up on my first semester Biology class, Am I screwed as for the Adcomm?

Does anyone out there have any study tips for Biology?

Thanks a bunch

:clap: :rolleyes: :p

Members don't see this ad.

You're doomed.

Just kidding. Just do well in all of your courses to come, especially biology, chemistry, and med school-related subjects. There is no way that a few B's will keep you out of the admissions race.

Good luck.

"It is not who you know, but whom."

Hi Spotless,

Don't worry about the B. Just don't get too many of them. I got C's through Organic Chem (I should start an "I hate Chem" thread :) ) and I'm doing okay in the process so far. From the adcom's I've spoken with, it is important to keep your science GPA above a 3.0 (B average) and excel in your upper division courses. I recall getting my first C and freaking out thinking my med school career was going down the tubes as my GPA had with the C - however I was quick to realize that one grade isn't going to mess you up as long as you show an upward trend in your GPA.

Best of luck!! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C my first semester of college in zoology. Man that was seven years ago. Anyways, I thought I was doomed as well... but I kept up with it and did pretty good the rest of my college career.

Make sure you realize you don't have to be a biology major to be a pre-med. I was a Health Sciences major... and loved it. If I were to be a bio major I would have slit my wrists.

Q

I got pretty much straight B- my first semester, and it has gone up every semester since, and got a 3.9 last semester (fall of senior year). I haven't gotten accepted yet, but have had several interviews. My cum GPA is a 3.47 now--let's just say I ordered my transcripts as quick as I could.
As long as you have a good trend, do decent on MCAT, and have decent extracurriculars, then you should do well.
-=Eric

I hated bio after fresh year as well. now i'm fascinated by it and am obsessed with studying human biology.
beauty lies w/in. w/in the phsyical being.
you don't believe me, that's ok.

i improved my bio grades by reading/reviewing MORE OFTEN.
i read the chapter before class and after.
i did all the practice exams i could get my hands on (more that what the prof handed out in class); admittedly only applicable if prof has been teaching for a while.
and keep reviewing your notes.
oh and become an artist.
I diagram everything, i found i learn better by writing out and drawing what i know instead of just re-reading.

best of luck!

Spotless,

I also recommend flash cards. Just writing the info down again is a great review -- then you have the cards and between classes or during a boring sociology course you can review.

I accelerated my education and completed my BS in three years. Due to this, I took the MCAT in my third/senior year, before finishing organic chemistry, genetics and physiology (not that physiology is a necessity). I purchased the ExamKrackers series to aid in my study for the MCAT, and it turned out that those books were a great review and learning tool for organic chemistry. I highly recommend buying those books and using them as a study guide during your pre-med courses. I truly wish that I had them during my physics course, as it would have helped me greatly in understanding some concepts that my textbook and professor were poor at.

The key is to find out early in your undergraduate career what works for you and then just continue to practice that throughout the rest of your undergrad and post-graduate education. I am working on my Master's now, and the study habits that I got into during my undergrad are helping me earn high grades in difficult subject matter.

Let me know how everything works out for you.