I Feel Like the Application Process is Eating Me Alive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubyness

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok-- I am getting very overwhelmed by this residency application process...

Two things are bothering me the most:

1. LOR's
2. Trying to find a research project

1. LOR's-- This is like trying to do the impossible-- everyone says you have to get a letter from someone who is "nationally recognized". Well, at my school, among the faculty in the surgery dept. I don't think anyone is. They all do research, but it's not like they've written the freakin' textbook or anything!!

2. Approaching faculty about getting involved on a project has led to nada so far.

Any suggestions on dealing with these issues? Maintaining sanity?
thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

whoooooaaaaaah!

Slow down there big fellah. This is a long process and now's not the time to begin stressing. Big names don't mean as much as a great recommendation from someone who really knows you. Go for what you've got, or maybe do an away rotation where you will get to know someone else.

Secondly, it's a little late to start a research project if you're applying for residency. I think you need to ask yourself why you want to do research in the first place. It sounds like you just want to do it to look better. Unnecessary research is like an unnecessary breast augmentation. Usually you look just fine. You don't want to end up with a new "set" that look like misplaced pool floaties. Residency directors will see right through it.

Textbook writers don't get their points across in LOR's as well as someone you really know. Believe it. A call from them to a PD later in the process is much more valuable.

Rusty

Hi

As written above, get someone that knows you. A quality letter is more important in your case, than a general 5-liner. In Medicine (actually everywhere) you have to network to do well. There's no working around it. Get to know people.

good luck !
lf

thanks guys! :)

rustybruce said:
whoooooaaaaaah!

Slow down there big fellah. This is a long process and now's not the time to begin stressing. Big names don't mean as much as a great recommendation from someone who really knows you. Go for what you've got, or maybe do an away rotation where you will get to know someone else.

Secondly, it's a little late to start a research project if you're applying for residency. I think you need to ask yourself why you want to do research in the first place. It sounds like you just want to do it to look better. Unnecessary research is like an unnecessary breast augmentation. Usually you look just fine. You don't want to end up with a new "set" that look like misplaced pool floaties. Residency directors will see right through it.

Textbook writers don't get their points across in LOR's as well as someone you really know. Believe it. A call from them to a PD later in the process is much more valuable.

Rusty

Hmm, I disagree with you on some points. Many ad coms won't even bother reading an LOR if it's not from somebody they've heard of (all LOR's say good stuff). And even so, unless you really really know somebody well, there's no gaurantee that the letter they write will be that much better then a famous person who knows you less. Also, it's definitely better to have something to put down for research than to have nothing. Some ad coms may see through it, but it still won't hurt. Whereas, it could significantly help at other places.

Sledge may be right on some points. I am only speaking from experience and my experience tells me that LOR's from people who know you well and a good CV/board scores will get you most of the interviews you want. It could depend on what you're going into. A great letter from a big shot in surgery may go a long way at some programs if you're on the fence. If you're not on the fence, don't worry about it.

However:
RUSTYBRUCE's 3rd corollary to his yet unwritten golden rule: No medical student should do research just because it looks good.
Section 1: it is OK to do it for experience
Section 2: it is OK to do it if it pays well
Section 3: it is OK to do it because you like it
Section 4: IT IS NOT OK TO DO IT TO SOLELY TO FLUFF UP YOUR CV. PLEASE DON'T PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE YOU'RE NOT

also, I've started residency now and I'm still not sure what you mean by "ad com"

rubyness said:
1. LOR's-- This is like trying to do the impossible-- everyone says you have to get a letter from someone who is "nationally recognized".

I am just a lowly M2, but from my conversation with the Program Director of Rad Onc at Mayo, better to get a stellar letter from someone who really knows you, that a bland letter from a stellar doc.... oh and rock boards ;)