I didn't match, what are my options for clinical experience as med graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical student with average step scores (unfortunately 1 attempt at Step 2CS) and participated in Couple's Match.

So I didn't match and now I'm trying to figure out what's the best approach during my year off that will strengthen my application.

Reading different forums, I found clinical experience as the top choice. However, once you graduate you have no malpractice insurance coverage so unlikely to obtain any kind of clinical work.

I've been researching to try to find any exceptions or other ways to gain clinical experience during that year but with little luck. If anyone knows of programs or ways to obtain this goal that will strengthen my application, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm especially looking for programs in NY.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I know what was your successful story? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sorry you didn't match. Are you re-applying this year? What specialty are you going for? That might change what the best clinical experience/volunteer/research to improve your application.