Realistically, should I bother with taking the steps as an FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tharsis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an FMG working in the UK who is unhappy with the system,training and low pay (starting consultant/attending pay is 75k usd after taxes{82k before}, incrementally builds up to a max of 95k after 19 years as a consultant) here. I haven't taken the steps yet, but I was wondering if I should bother given my current situation:

• Graduated from a 3rd world country in 2015.
  • By the time i'm done with steps ill probably be applying to 2022 match
  • Interested in Emergency medicine mostly, (with a lesser extent interest in anaesthesia and radiology)
  • No publications, (I can fix this though)

Positives:

• I'm probably willing to settle for the more match friendly If I absolutely have to. The top 5 for img's are also 79% of all img matches ()
  • Currently undertaking a masters program in POCUS (i really don't know if this will help at all)

Honestly guys, are the specialities i'm interested incompletely out of reach for me? the match stats look bad for EM, but i don't know what to make of anaesthesia or radiology numbers. I need someone with a better understanding than me to look at those numbers and tell me if its possible (if I work really hard). Match stats summary ()

Sorry, if this is another what are my chances post. I'm at a crossroads in my life and I really need guidance. I was previously told these my preferred specialities are a pipe dream and i'd have to settle for non academic rural IM/FM if i'm lucky, but I don't know how true this is.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't take your steps your chance of matching is 0.

You likely have no chance at rads or anesthesia. However you can do IM and make 4 times what you are making now if you are in the US

Radiology or EM will be an uphill battle... Your might have a shot at anesthesia if you can get 245+ in step 2 (step 1 will be pass or fail by the time you take it). 245+ in step2 is average. However, it's not an easy score to get.

The PLAB is a joke compared to the USMLE.