I did all of my prerequisites at community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this thread makes me facepalm hugely.

PADPM and kidsfeet come with a ton of experience and knowledge about the field (infinitely more than any pre-pod, including myself). while you may disagree with what they say, it would behoove you as a pre-health student to at least respectfully disagree with what they have to say.

i personally will be starting my 1st year this fall so i generally tend to observe and read a ton, since i think one of the worst things a person can do is spew misinformed BS about a topic he or she knows very little about.

i'm not saying we need to fawn over any attendings that post on SDN, but at least be professional and respectful. you're about to head into professional school, not high school.

ps: i don't mean to sound condescending, but after working in the "real world" for a year after university, i learned an invaluable lesson. grades and academics are only half the equation to being a successful professional (this applies to nearly any occupation, not just healthcare). even if you manage to ace all your professional level schoolwork, if you have an abrasive personality in a professional setting you will likely not go anywhere in your career. using podiatry as an example, this would be that one student in the top 10% of his class who doesn't get matched to a residency because all the residency directors dislike him.

i wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this thread makes me facepalm hugely.

PADPM and kidsfeet come with a ton of experience and knowledge about the field (infinitely more than any pre-pod, including myself). while you may disagree with what they say, it would behoove you as a pre-health student to at least respectfully disagree with what they have to say.

i personally will be starting my 1st year this fall so i generally tend to observe and read a ton, since i think one of the worst things a person can do is spew misinformed BS about a topic he or she knows very little about.

i'm not saying we need to fawn over any attendings that post on SDN, but at least be professional and respectful. you're about to head into professional school, not high school.

ps: i don't mean to sound condescending, but after working in the "real world" for a year after university, i learned an invaluable lesson. grades and academics are only half the equation to being a successful professional (this applies to nearly any occupation, not just healthcare). even if you manage to ace all your professional level schoolwork, if you have an abrasive personality in a professional setting you will likely not go anywhere in your career. using podiatry as an example, this would be that one student in the top 10% of his class who doesn't get matched to a residency because all the residency directors dislike him.

i wish you the best of luck.

:thumbup: It's really quite simple, some people "get it" and some people simply don't. There is no problem with agreeing or disagreeing with someone's opinion. But you hit the nail right on the head and in this case it's obviously a case of immaturity. It couldn't be more obvious...just look at all the smiley faces....that's the first clue.

Now hopefully this embarrassment will be over, but I'm confident another cheap shot immature comment will follow.

I am done.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am done

Last edited:
SN1,

I read your previous comments before you deleted them, and the thing you need to realize is that maybe PADPM IS on an admission committee. How can you be so sure he won't be the one interviewing YOU?

You don't know who we are or how far our influences reach, but continue to think we are sheltered from you. Podiatry is a small profession and if you play your cards right, you may just be in a position to HELP people who have proven that they can help themselves.

You may want to reconsider your stance and potentially even your path.

Last edited:
He never bashed community colleges, I think he was pointing out that the quality of the education you could get at a cc doesn't fully equal what you could get at a high end school. Notice I said could because obviously a lot of factors play a part included the maturity of the student. It's not derogatory, it's just common sense. There's a reason schools like Harvard and Stanford have the reputations they have. That's not to say you can't get a good education at a community college. It's like buying a used car, where you go shopping matters just as much as what you buy.

Also, just because your credits(from any source) transfer to a 4 year doesn't mean they are equal in educational value to the courses taught at the school you are transferring them too. Schools allow transfer credits from outside sources for one reason: money. A prime example of this would be vets coming out of the military with over 60+ hrs of transfer credits that some schools almost embarrassingly fit into their curriculum to keep those big GI bill dollars at their campuses.

Seriously? Three pages?

He never bashed community colleges, I think he was pointing out that the quality of the education you could get at a cc doesn't fully equal what you could get at a high end school. Notice I said could because obviously a lot of factors play a part included the maturity of the student. It's not derogatory, it's just common sense. There's a reason schools like Harvard and Stanford have the reputations they have. That's not to say you can't get a good education at a community college. It's like buying a used car, where you go shopping matters just as much as what you buy.

Also, just because your credits(from any source) transfer to a 4 year doesn't mean they are equal in educational value to the courses taught at the school you are transferring them too. Schools allow transfer credits from outside sources for one reason: money. A prime example of this would be vets coming out of the military with over 60+ hrs of transfer credits that some schools almost embarrassingly fit into their curriculum to keep those big GI bill dollars at their campuses.

:thumbup:

I really did read all of this. I dont know why... but I did.

This thread should be closed... There isnt anything worth saying here.

Oh god. I just read three page of crap in a futile attempt to get some info...

Anyway - does anyone have any advice on taking the pre-reqs in Chicago - I'm planning on doing the gen chm sequence, the math classes (calc and its pre-reqs), and then the physics at cc. I could leave bio and orgo sequences and upper level classes for the 4 year? note: I have bachelors and am 'trying' to make the most of a la carte post bacc.

My problem is trying to pinpoint what 4 year university to do the remainder of pre-reqs...anyone have experience with landing evening classes from any of the chicago schools????????

Oh god. I just read three page of crap in a futile attempt to get some info...

Anyway - does anyone have any advice on taking the pre-reqs in Chicago - I'm planning on doing the gen chm sequence, the math classes (calc and its pre-reqs), and then the physics at cc. I could leave bio and orgo sequences and upper level classes for the 4 year? note: I have bachelors and am 'trying' to make the most of a la carte post bacc.

My problem is trying to pinpoint what 4 year university to do the remainder of pre-reqs...anyone have experience with landing evening classes from any of the chicago schools????????

Take all pre-reqs at the 4 year if possible. If there is absolutely no way to take them there, then take some at the CC and the rest at the 4 yr.

I think the most difficult thing to get over is the fact that we could all be colleagues in the near future. Regardless of whether or not members have been in practice for years, are just completing their residencies, or even just about to enter school, we are entering a profession where bickering and arguing is simply unacceptable. It provides me with no benefit to take sides in anyway but I will take note of the professionalism PADPM and KidsFeet have shown throughout this forum. They have offered great advice and have done so in a respectable fashion. As for SN1...I unfortunately regret to agree with the pre-dental student that stated his/her concern of having you in their class of future physicians. Your antics are childish and for students like myself that attempt to gather information from this site in a civil manner you simply do not exhibit the characteristics of helping those in need, and have further lead me to believe that regardless of your 4.0, you have not acquired the skills in direct correlation to bedside manner. I am not writing this to pick on you, or call you out in anyway, but I am doing it in attempt to ensure that future medical professionals regardless of MD/DO/DPM etc do not have to worry about who they will interact with, and whether or not they will be childish and argumentative.