I can't decide whether or not I should apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlesman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been stalling on my application because the more I think about it, the more I am doubting my chances of getting into medical school.

Here's my situation:
So first of all, I am applying to the MD/PhD program, NOT just the MD program.
I decided 8 months ago to forgo a PhD and to go for the joint degree
I took my MCAT in April and got a 36O

The reason why I'm having second thoughts is because I've realized that now that I am pre-med, there are certain things that I didn't do or that I don't have that could be essential to matriculating.

So I'll start off with the good stuff first. I have a pretty high GPA (3.95) at a notoriously competitive public university. I graduated with 2 awards. One for research and another award for essentially graduating #2 out of the 400+ students in my major (biology). I have done several extracurriculars pertaining to mentoring/advising as well as tutoring/teaching at the high school and collegiate level. I think I can get very good letter of recommendations from my science professors and PIs.

So here's the bad stuff. My MCAT, although objectively good, I'm not sure if it's good enough especially for MD/PhD which is even more competitive. Despite shadowing doctors in another country, I do not have the proper paperwork to show for it. The best I can do is talk about it in my personal statement and hope that admissions officers don't think that I'm trying to lie. Even though I've done research for 3 years under 2 different research positions, I have no publications. I'm afraid admissions will think that I'm incompetent when in all honesty I just wasn't lucky enough. I hadn't realized this but apparently I need a letter of recommendation from a non-science professor. I had originally been pre-grad and only looked for science professors for letters but now realize that I've screwed myself over.

I'm starting to freak out now that the deadline is coming up. Should I decide to apply anyway, I won't be submitting my application until the end of July which can potentially be too late. Right now my options are to either apply anyway and hope for the best, or to wait another year and apply the next cycle. The only problem is that if I wait another year, I will have been 3 years out of college by the time I start school and I'm not sure if admissions is going to like that. Not only that, but the MD/PhD program is 7 years. I don't know if I'm willing to wait that long to start my career so late. I've told friends about this but I feel like they are all sugar-coating my situation which is really doing me a disservice if I end up not getting into med school. I just need brutal honesty and sound advice. It's coming down to the wire and I've never been so stressed in my life. HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't hurt to just apply. The worst they will say is no and you can apply next cycle. Try and find a nonscience LOR. It couldn't be that hard. You have a great GPA and really good MCAT. Just try.

How much have you prepared you application? It sounds to me that you still need to ask for them as well as write your personal statement and submit transcripts.

I think you still would have a shot if you applied. Finish your apply done as fast as possible (dont sacrifice quality!) and apply broadly. I knew one person that got in with a similar score and relativity little EC's and semi late application. Your only choice is to give it a shot if you dont want to wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
MD/PhD applicants typically apply later in the season. There is another forum for Physician Scientists that should give you a better look at it. I'm no expert, but having a strong MCAT, GPA, and significant research experience should be what you really need to apply. Don't sweat it, and check the MD/PhD forum.

Honestly, all your bad stuff isn't bad at all. A ton of applicants don't have pubs, and adcoms don't really care that much because they realize that it's more up to the PI than it is to you. Shadowing for MD/PhD is not nearly as important as for regular MD applicants because you'd be expected to only spend ~20% of your time seeing patients as a physician scientist. I don't know where you got the idea that your MCAT isn't good enough, it's only 1 or 2 points below the averages of the most competitive MSTPs.

If you are seriously considering that route, definitely go for it and apply. If you think the MD aspect wouldn't help you much, get a PhD.