I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doc Ivy said:
RSV???

Ok I'll pimp: what are the key differences between the nephritic and the nephrotic syndromes?

Nephritic(usually acute glomerular nephritis): Active glomerular inflammation. Active sediment, typically including RBC/WBC casts. Variable protienuria. Low U Na, high U osms.

IgA nephropathy, Post-infectious, Membranoproliferative, Rapidly Progressive GN.

Nephrotic: Usually more chronic process. Bland sediment often with oval fat bodies/waxy casts. Protienuria > 2.5-3.0 g/day.

Membranous, MCD, Focal Sclerosis, DM, SLE, Amyloid etc. .

I just chalk-talked the interns on this last week!

Philo
hippocritis.com <---funny.

Members don't see this ad.

medpa said:
Can anyone explain what the difference is between azotemia and uremia? In the med dictionary they are listed as synonyms...

Azotemia is just an elevation of BUN/Creat incidentally found on labs
Uremia is Azotemia but with systemic manifestations such as edema, pericarditis, encephalopathy, acedemia, etc.

If your pt looks fine but his labs have high BUN/Creat he's azotemic
If his labs have high BUN/Creat and he looks like crap he's uremic

Doc Ivy said:

Oops! I didn't see this earlier :(

Top 3 causes of croup:
1. parainfluenza
2. RSV
3. group A strep

mycin1600 said:
peds sucks.

the kids are okay, but they're too germy. I was sent home today with strep throat (big surprise since 2/3 of the kiddos I've seen have it :rolleyes: )

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd give my left testicle to be sent home with strep throat. Can I come to your house and drink out of your glass???

MustafaMond said:
Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy and Hyperplasia are 100% synonymous terms and can be used interchangeably.
Musta-
I said the same thing while snuffling through my tears as the head of Path at our hospital repeatedly pimp-slapped me about the head and neck. I crumpled into a corner and kept mumbling..."but all it means is dribble and retention, dribble and retention". He began screaming something about the idiocy of clinicians and how urine is a sterile fluid on slides. I was left moaning in the hallway as the team left.

For the love of god don't let this happen to you. Please learn that growth in size and growth in number are NOT synonymous.

Boomer said:
I'd give my left testicle to be sent home with strep throat. Can I come to your house and drink out of your glass???

:laugh: believe it or not, my preceptor asked me why I even bothered to come in today (I had taken a rapid strep test with me when I left yesterday, so I knew it was positive). She apparently doesn't realize that we've been told to show up if we're not actually dying. I was quite surprised to be sent home...but I scooted my butt right out the door before she could change her mind! :)

DrMom said:
the kids are okay, but they're too germy. I was sent home today with strep throat (big surprise since 2/3 of the kiddos I've seen have it :rolleyes: )

You're lucky you were on peds. I spent about 4 days on inpatient medicine (and 1 call night) battling it before I got any Abx. I thought I had one of my many sinus infections, which I did, but turned out I probably had strep on top of it. I was febrile and everything, doc said I had nice exudates on my tonsils.

Did I get sent home? NOPE! I just lived on tylenol (making sure not to go over 4g/day of course ;) ) and sudafed until I got my Z-pak. MMMMMM, Z-pack. The senior resident even saw me sweating profusely as I defervesced after a dose of tylenol, asked me about it, I told him, and he just said "oh", and started rounds :mad: .

NateatUC said:
You're lucky you were on peds. I spent about 4 days on inpatient medicine (and 1 call night) battling it before I got any Abx. I thought I had one of my many sinus infections, which I did, but turned out I probably had strep on top of it. I was febrile and everything, doc said I had nice exudates on my tonsils.

Did I get sent home? NOPE! I just lived on tylenol (making sure not to go over 4g/day of course ;) ) and sudafed until I got my Z-pak. MMMMMM, Z-pack. The senior resident even saw me sweating profusely as I defervesced after a dose of tylenol, asked me about it, I told him, and he just said "oh", and started rounds :mad: .

Honestly, what you're describing is what I was expecting.

I saw tonsils the other day that were so big they had fissures. Freaking nast, dude. nast. *hands Dr. Mom and Nate popsicles

AlexRusso said:
Azotemia is just an elevation of BUN/Creat incidentally found on labs
Uremia is Azotemia but with systemic manifestations such as edema, pericarditis, encephalopathy, acedemia, etc.

If your pt looks fine but his labs have high BUN/Creat he's azotemic
If his labs have high BUN/Creat and he looks like crap he's uremic

Thanks so much for the info on uremia/azotemia!!

fuegorama said:
Musta-
I said the same thing while snuffling through my tears as the head of Path at our hospital repeatedly pimp-slapped me about the head and neck.

Please learn that growth in size and growth in number are NOT synonymous..
LOL!
Damn...sucks to get bitch-smacked by your prof.

The point is, that the terms are both coded as BPH, and physicians use both terms interchangeably...who cares that the pathology really is "hyperplasia".

Smack that punk pathologist down.

True colors are beginning to show through. This pimp is a *******. He pimps so he can learn.

However, he was asking about the Hoagland's criteria for mononucleosis.

Anyone?

It's a bit old school. :rolleyes:

Heres one for ya....

What condition is assoicated with a persistant right unbilical vein?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMaryC said:
True colors are beginning to show through. This pimp is a *******. He pimps so he can learn.

However, he was asking about the Hoagland's criteria for mononucleosis.

Anyone?

It's a bit old school. :rolleyes:

clinical illness compatible with IM
demonstration of relative and absolute lymphocytosis
more than 20% atypical lymphocytes
positive serology for heterophil antibody

DrMom said:
clinical illness compatible with IM
demonstration of relative and absolute lymphocytosis
more than 20% atypical lymphocytes
positive serology for heterophil antibody

Yup...that was the jist of it. Now, Dr.Mom, did you look that up or did you pull that out of memory?? If you can cough up facts like that you are A GENIUS!! :D

Docgeorge said:
Heres one for ya....

Edward's syndrome, trisomy 18??

DrMaryC said:
Yup...that was the jist of it. Now, Dr.Mom, did you look that up or did you pull that out of memory?? If you can cough up facts like that you are A GENIUS!! :D

:laugh: as much as I'd like to claim genius, I googled it ;)

Docgeorge said:
Heres one for ya....

meckel's?

Hi DocGeorge:

I'll give it a go.

Condition associated with a persistent right umbilical vein:

1) Truncus Arteriosus

2) Gastroschisis

misfit

misfit said:
Hi DocGeorge:

I'll give it a go.

Condition associated with a persistent right umbilical vein:

1) Truncus Arteriosus

2) Gastroschisis

misfit

DING!!!! Give a lollypop to misfit.

The anwser is Gastroschisis. There are also some association with other congenital abnormalities, but by far the most common thing is Gastroschisis.

Now I pose to you when does the Right unbilical vein usually obliterate??? (No
**** this the the question I got right after I came up with the anwser for the first one....luckily I had read up on that as well :D :D :D )

Hi DocGeorge:

The right umbilical vein usually begins to undergo atrophy (obliteration) at about 6 weeks into gestation in normal development.

misfit

misfit said:
Hi DocGeorge:

The right umbilical vein usually begins to undergo atrophy (obliteration) at about 6 weeks into gestation in normal development.

misfit

Sorry about takeing so long, forgot about this thread, but yes @ 6 weeks it starts to atrophy.