I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the #1 cause of blindness in the world?

Members don't see this ad.

DrMaryC said:

in the world

#1 is Cataract
#2 is Glaucoma

In the US, diabetic retinopathy is also a very common cause.

Masturbation, #1 cause of blindness and warts.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMaryC said:

If the question really is "preventable blindness", the usual answers are:

1. trachoma (all)
2. Vitamin A deficiency (children)

This answer probably is based on the idea that cataracts and glaucoma are not "preventable" on a global health policy basis. I'm not sure that this isn't somewhat just a matter of semantics, so I'd be prepared with any of the 4 answers.

regards

"oldbear professor"

I was sure thinking along the lines of C. trach...certainly in terms of preventables, but worldwide, may be number one anyway....

A document I found said glaucoma. My pimp thought it was river blindness :confused: .

Here's another.....How many grades of spondylolisthesis are there?

post your pimping.

Best pimp Q I've gotten so far:

What is the only condition that will make the sclera turn GREEN?

What's the life span of a sickled RBC?

DrMom said:
5, right?

Here's one I got from a classmate that was on surgery: what are 3 things that induce defecation?

Yeah, it's 5; Stage "0", I, II, III, IV. If it's >75% slipped, it's grade IV. I'm going to have to look up green sclera, defecation, and sickle cells. Or just see what everyone else posts. :D

NateatUC said:
Hmm, somebody asked me about BLUE sclera the other day (iron deficiency) but I dunno about GREEN...

So in Surgical Recall it says that scorpion bite is a cause of pancreatitis. So I was feeling pretty good about myself when I got that one. Then the attending wanted to know what species of scorpion. Sheesh!

The same attending also asked me in what animal were the parathyroid glands first discovered. (Hint: it's a very large animal that was living at the London Zoo at the time.)

I think this particular attending watches too much Discovery Channel. :D

NateatUC said:
Best pimp Q I've gotten so far:

I found a drug that can cause sclera to turn yellow or green: amsacrine. It's an antineoplastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
Here's one I got from a classmate that was on surgery: what are 3 things that induce defecation?

1. Relaxation of the puborectalis muscle. (sacral parasympathetic nn's)
2. Transient relaxation of internal anal sphincter (distention of the rectum, intrinsic & sympathetic innervation)
3. Voluntary relaxation of external anal sphincter (striated m innervated by pudendal nerve).

Am I right Dr. Mompimp? :D

DrMaryC said:
1. Relaxation of the puborectalis muscle. (sacral parasympathetic nn's)
2. Transient relaxation of internal anal sphincter (distention of the rectum, intrinsic & sympathetic innervation)
3. Voluntary relaxation of external anal sphincter (striated m innervated by pudendal nerve).

Am I right Dr. Mompimp?
:laugh:

Sounds similar to what my classmates tried...think much simpler.

DrMom said:
:laugh:

Sounds similar to what my classmates tried...think much simpler.

All right then.

1. Eating
2. Walking
3. Coffee

:idea:

First question I was ever asked was what the exact dimensions in centimeters the ungravid uterus is. :thumbdown:

Green sclerae... I would guess biliverdin reductase deficiency in someone with increased heme breakdown :confused:

My turn:
How did Wenkebach discover the phenomenon named after him? (no, he didn't do an ECG :p)

Why is diabetes mellitus named so?

Idiopathic said:
for sure trachoma. no doubt.

What must be considered in a child (<14) with elevated platelets?

CML

DrMom said:

1. Senor Tequila's
2. Mexico Lindo
3. Ricardo's

If he says those are wrong, tell him they work for me!

Mumpu said:
Why is diabetes mellitus named so?

Latin for "sugar through the urine."

How was diabetes originally tested for?

What drug is given to reverse heparin?

Feel pretty smart for knowing that one? (hint: everyone should get that via knee-jerk reaction)

Now: Where does that drug COME from? (read this question carefully--there's a bit of a subtle hint in the question itself)

Boomer said:
Latin for "sugar through the urine."

How was diabetes originally tested for?
Glucosuria imparted a sweet taste to the urine upon tasting. Yum.

Patient presents describing an exophytic, 1/2-inch papillary lesion on lingual frenulum. Without looking, #1 on your ddx (and the overwhelmingly probable dx) is...?

aphistis said:
Glucosuria imparted a sweet taste to the urine upon tasting. Yum.

Patient presents describing an exophytic, 1/2-inch papillary lesion on lingual frenulum. Without looking, #1 on your ddx (and the overwhelmingly probable dx) is...?

Sialolithiasis?

What's an MC AV? (the abbreviation is unfamiliar, sorry)

Diabetes mellitus is actually Greek, not Latin. It means "honey waterspout" for obvious reasons.

Protamine sulfate to reverse heparin. I think it comes from salmon but I don't know about the origins.

Was I right about green sclerae? :confused:

A plastic sugreon asked me what singlutus is.

Mumpu said:
Protamine sulfate to reverse heparin. I think it comes from salmon but I don't know about the origins.

It actually comes from salmon sperm. Yep, that's right... iv man fish juice... it's the protein that keeps the salmon sperm from clumping (or something like that).

My (not)favorite pimp question - what are the eponymics for the parietal pelvic and visceral pelvic fasciae?

-t

Boomer said:
Sialolithiasis?
Good guess, but sialoliths are hard and frequently invisible clinically (in addition to other pathognomonic signs & symptoms), which brings me to...

Clues #1, 2, & 3: The lesion is the color of normal tissue, asymptomatic, and patient reports an active sexual history.

Is that like an oral genital wart?

This thread just bumped to NC-17. :p

Here's my worst:

What is another name for the central sulcus? (And the answer is not fissure of Rolando)

Mumpu said:
Was I right about green sclerae? :confused:

Nope. Nobody's got it yet. I got asked this by an IM Cheif Resident, but its really more of a Peds type question.

Boomer said:
What drug is given to reverse heparin?

Feel pretty smart for knowing that one? (hint: everyone should get that via knee-jerk reaction)

Now: Where does that drug COME from? (read this question carefully--there's a bit of a subtle hint in the question itself)

Protamine sulfate. Ok, I'm going to guess porcine semen. For $100. Joking.

Espion said:
Here's my worst:

What is another name for the central sulcus? (And the answer is not fissure of Rolando)

I believe its the Sylvian Fissure.

What's the mechanism of action of imipramine?

NateatUC said:
I believe its the Sylvian Fissure.

Nope, that's a different fissure. Believe me, this is un-googleable unless you know what you're looking for. I had to break down and make him tell me the answer.
If you can figure out the answer, you deserve a million in prizes.

bigmuny said:
Masturbation, #1 cause of blindness and warts.
Now I thought it only caused hairy palms.

Human papilloma virus is the cause of genital warts.

Green sclerae in peds... Someone's been munching on crayons again?

Anyone willing to take a crack at my Wenkebach question? Hmmm? As a hint, the guy had mad physical exam skillz. :p

What one thing must you ALWAYS think about when a non-smoking patient <40 years-old presents with lung cancer?

How are pancreatitis and the lung related?

Another shot at green sclerae: chloroma?

AVMs... Brain, liver, GI, Paget's disease of bone?

Lung cancer --> hypercalcemia --> pancreatitis.

Mumpu said:
Lung cancer --> hypercalcemia --> pancreatitis.

He was looking for: triglycerides (oleic acid) -> acute lung injury -> hypoxia (Ranson's criteria) -> ARDS

DireWolf said:
What one thing must you ALWAYS think about when a non-smoking patient <40 years-old presents with lung cancer?

mets from somewhere else :confused: :confused: