I am sick of the negativity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a 3rd year and I get a chance to shadow a few urologists...
They tell me dont do it! too hard should go to radiology or derm...
Then I ask them their schedule and it is 3 days a week 9-5 and 2 days a week from 9-1pm
I am puzzeled? WTF? they do all these cool things and bitch?
When I asked about call they said it is mostly over the phone and no need to come over...
where the negativity coming from? Is it the grass is greener on the other side? is it the 50's depression? what is going on?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that maybe your attendings work in a dysfunctional system. Most urologists are pretty happy, and the relatively benign schedule is one of the nicer perks. That said, it's not derm. You will take overnight call, and you will have to come in for emergent cases and interventions in the ER. My favorite thing about the field is that you treat problems that are very detrimental to pts quality of life, generally pretty successfully. Patients love their urologists for that reason. There aren't many specialties out there that allow you to do that when you really think about it.

Lots of docs in all specialties, including urology, are pretty dissatisfied these days. More paperwork, more regulations, more hours and more hassles across the board for less pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
never heard a negative comment about medicine or urology in the 5 months I've done.

in your experience and from what you have seen, are urologists happy with their careers? lives outside of work? and job prospects/compensation?

in your experience and from what you have seen, are urologists happy with their careers? lives outside of work? and job prospects/compensation?
like I said, I've never heard a negative comment. everybody seems to be quite pleased with their career.

the chiefs I've been around this year all have jobs or potential jobs already and seem to be pleased with what they have to offer.

Where are you getting this feedback from? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm applying/interviewing this cycle and I'd prefer to avoid your institution like the plague...

Echoing others here, pretty much every urologist I've met loves their job and several have told me if they had to do it over they would have done exactly the same thing. Never met a urology chief who didn't have a job or fellowship lined up, and the work is varied, interesting, and (important to some) well compensated relative to other fields.

Plus, rads = falling asleep in a dark room by yourself looking at a computer screen, and derm = botox and acne if you like $$ and stomach-turning skin disease if you don't. Bleugh to both ;)

I concur!!!! dont worry the ones i shadowed are private practice group affiliated with the hospital I am doing my surg rotation... they are very kind to let me see their stuff but their attitude is annoying me... considering I am in love :) it is a bit a kin to your parents saying your wife is ugly :(
it just rubs me the wrong way....