Am I being too optimistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonu1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.....!!
I am an IMG with a step1 score 217( too low to aspire urology residency).
I have this opportunity to do research in Urology for an year. I was thinking with 8-10 papers under my belt and a better score in step2 I may be able to match next year. Is it worth doing or I am being too optimistic......Would like to have some honest reviews on that.

Members don't see this ad.

sonu1234 said:
Hi all.....!!
I have this opportunity to do research in Urology for an year. I was thinking with 8-10 papers under my belt and a better score in step2 I may be able to match next year. Is it worth doing or I am being too optimistic......Would like to have some honest reviews on that.

Check out urologymatch.com

You may get a better response over there and if you're going to apply next year you're going to want to check that out anyway....

I would say, just from my experience applying this year and recalling the people I met on the interview trail, IMG's don't seem to fair very well in the urology match. That's just my observation. You might also look at:

http://www.auanet.org/residents/resmatch.cfm#statistics

This shows approximately 2 of 3 US grads matched and only 1 of 4 IMGs. Less last year by half.

Best of luck!

sonu1234 said:
Hi all.....!!

Hey,

I think you'd have an uphill battle. But, honestly, anything is possible.

I'm not sure if you could write 8 papers in one year, either. But, then again, anything is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything is possible. I am sure people with this score have gotten into programs, but you need to be strong in other areas. Research is one of them.
Apply to as many places as you possibly can. If the research you are doing is related to a urology program, your research professor may be able to put in a good word for you, which may help. Honestly speaking, you are going to find it very tough to get in, but you won't know until you give it a strong shot and you seem to be going about it the right way.

hi......

I am IMG too and also intersted in Urology..... scores are not bad ... i dont have any research exp...

Can you help me .. Hw to get into research............

Thanks buddy