i am not my hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirlatheart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my mom and I were having a discussion a few minutes ago, and i'd like to know what yall think. Here's the dilemma:
I want to get dreads, but I start interviews in June. My mom thinks that I should wait until interviews are over because she thinks my hair may leave a negative impression on some interviewers. I think she may be right, but i've been wanting dreads for the longest time and now my boyfriend has them, which makes me want them even more! Do you think they will have any effect on interviewers, or will they not even notice?

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to wait until after interviews to do anything to my hair because I wasn't sure how professional it would look. Look at lots of pictures, pick out exactly how thick, neat, etc you want them and see how professional it looks on others. You definitely can get away with it, but i know i chose not to.

Getting locks started and keeping them meticulously groomed is key to how professional you can look with them. I have a couple of colleagues who have locks that look quite professional. My colleagues are in their early 40s, one male and one female. One is a surgeon and the other is an internist. I envy them but I have been warned that the "start-up" phase is key to getting and keeping good and healthy locks and you might not want to be in that phase while you are interviewing.

I believe that as long as you are neat, clean and professional, it doesn't matter if your hair is locked or not in terms of professional school interviews. In most urban areas, locks have been fairly "mainstream" unless they are pretty wild and unkept (like any extreme style) I would do some research in terms of making sure that you have some professional style options and go from there.

If you are in any way uncomfortable with your decision to lock your hair, then wait until your interviews are over (and acceptance letter in hand). I am out an about enough to say that your style, again as long as it's neat, isn't going to keep you out of school if everything else is competitive.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in any way uncomfortable with your decision to lock your hair, then wait until your interviews are over (and acceptance letter in hand). I am out an about enough to say that your style, again as long as it's neat, isn't going to keep you out of school if everything else is competitive.

Good luck!
Agreed-- the key to interviews is just that right amount of confidence, and if you're afraid you won't have it with locks, then don't do them, but if you know you can rock them neatly and with confidence, you can go for it.

What is your hair like now?? Permed but grown out, so you would use the new growth and cut off the permed parts or are you already natural???

I dreaded my hair for a little while during college. I had permed hair that had grown out (as the result of braids) about two inches. I went to a professional place and they cut off the permed part and twisted/dreaded the natural part. It looked really good. If you decided to do it, get it professionally done. It cost me about $150 in NYC at a salon that only did natural hair, but it was well worth it.

The upkeep is difficult, so keep that in mind. Interview season may last three-four months. Be prepared to pay to get your hair done during that time to look your best. It was the upkeep that killed me and I shaved my head and grew it out.

Also keep in mind the shape and size of your head. Do you look good with really short hair cuts?? if yes, good!! if not, you might not like it!!

I'd say wait until after interviews. The starter phase can be awkward. And you don't want to be learning about your new hair and how to make it professional during interview session. You can check out www.nappturality.com. In the forums they have a loc section. You can probably get some great advice there.

Lys

I have dreads:eek:.....I got accepted:D

Well mine are about a year plus....so yea...even tho for some interviews they were looking really funny. But the good thing about dreads is that except they are extremely shaggy, they look good either way. Best way to go about hair if you ask me....

You know, I'm facing a similiar delimma now.

I have been natural my entire life, so apart from the occasional press (which I haven't done for like over 6 years) I always wear cornrows, twists, or braids without extensions.

I remember sometime last year reading on the SDN black female premeds thread that if possible, it is preferable to go to interviews with straight hair pulled back in one than with braids or twists, because you're gonna meet some pretty conservative older folks who may think natural hairstyles are a bit "unorthodox." (I'm sure you get what I'm saying even though I'm not saying it.:rolleyes:)

So, after a long discussion with my Mom, I'm debating whether I should press my hair and wear it in a bun, or twist it and pull the twists back in a bun. My natural preference is of course the twists. I have six interviews packed in a two week period, so twists will definitely be more convenient, and to be honest much neater than trying to manage a press that can be wreck with a few raindrops.

Deep down I really think the hair thing cannot be that big of a deal, but you never know. I definitely want to do all within my control to have solid interview days, and even if its a minor detail, my hairstyle is definitely in my control.

So, those who are in the same boat, what have you done/ will you do? For those already done with interviews, do you think your hairstyle made any difference on the overall impression your interviewer had of you?

I have been natural my entire life, so apart from the occasional press (which I haven't done for like over 6 years) I always wear cornrows, twists, or braids without extensions.

I remember sometime last year reading on the SDN black female premeds thread that if possible, it is preferable to go to interviews with straight hair pulled back in one than with braids or twists, because you're gonna meet some pretty conservative older folks who may think natural hairstyles are a bit "unorthodox." (I'm sure you get what I'm saying even though I'm not saying it.:rolleyes:)

So, after a long discussion with my Mom, I'm debating whether I should press my hair and wear it in a bun, or twist it and pull the twists back in a bun. My natural preference is of course the twists. I have six interviews packed in a two week period, so twists will definitely be more convenient, and to be honest much neater than trying to manage a press that can be wreck with a few raindrops.

Deep down I really think the hair thing cannot be that big of a deal, but you never know. I definitely want to do all within my control to have solid interview days, and even if its a minor detail, my hairstyle is definitely in my control.

So, those who are in the same boat, what have you done/ will you do? For those already done with interviews, do you think your hairstyle made any difference on the overall impression your interviewer had of you?

I would strongly caution against trying any "new hairdo" that is not what you are used to. Natural hairstyles are mainstream in 2008 and your braids/fro are OK as long as they are neat. Anything extreme is not going to work but don't feel "compelled" to straighten you hair if you are not comfortable with this style. What you don't want to do is try to pull off something that becomes uncomfortable/fussy for you. Anything that is worrisome for you becomes magnified under the stress of an interview. If you have a natural style that is neat and professional, wear it.

The first part of the black female pre-med thread was started in 1999 which was almost ten years ago. Again, things have changed since then and you don't have to do something that is totally unnatural for you in order to get into medical/professional school. If you have been going to school/living with a natural hairstyle that is neat and comfortable, wear it on your interview.

People who have shown up with multicolored hair, buzz cutts with logos and locs that were filthy with lint (yes someone did this) were discussed in our admissions meeting. People who have with locs, braids (neat), fros that were neat and even bleached natural hair that was professionally styled have had no problems being offered admission to my two schools. Hair isn't a discussion unless it's very unkept or looks like something from a music video.

Well, I only flat-iron when the mood strikes me, not to impress anyone else so I'm not straightening my hair for interviews based on principle (also my hair is too long/thick to be *professional* -- think Diana Ross :smuggrin::laugh:).

I'll be placing my hair in a bun. :love:

Ahhhh...the politics of being chocolate interviewees. :rolleyes::p

I've only had one interview. But I don't straighten my hair... ever. And that was NOT going to change for my interview. There are some very professional and conservative styles you can hook up on natural hair. Let me see...
I found 2 great threads with nice pics. I'm only going to link a couple pics because I don't want to copy any with people's faces:

twistrollco8.jpg

da2a.jpg

49162010-S.jpg

prof3-vi.jpg

Nedjetti2.jpg

howto-yellow-back-25may2005.jpg

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

You can check out more here: Professional Hair Thread 1
and here: Professional Hair Thread 2

Lys... I guess that was a bit more than a couple pics :) Have fun with your hair

I also am planning on putting my hair in locs, but I had decided to start in February under the assumption that I would be finished with interviews by them. I was sorely mistaken, so I will be starting them in April. I know that starting locs can be a difficult and sometimes frustrating process, and I really don't need any distractions at this time in my life. I chose to keep my natural hair in braids because they are hassle-free and easy to style (for those early morning interviews).

Yeah, I thought about it and I realized it isn't worth the hassle. My twists pulled back in a bun will look a lot neater than a press, and it will take the through six interviews, so I'm just going to go with that.

I can't believe I was sweating this! I think this process has screwed with my head a bit :confused: oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else has said, as long as you look neat and well groomed, a natural style is perfectly acceptable. However, I would wait on the locs until after interview season is over so that you have adequate time to properly care for your hair.

I've only had one interview. But I don't straighten my hair... ever. And that was NOT going to change for my interview. There are some very professional and conservative styles you can hook up on natural hair. Let me see...
I found 2 great threads with nice pics. I'm only going to link a couple pics because I don't want to copy any with people's faces:

twistrollco8.jpg

da2a.jpg

49162010-S.jpg

prof3-vi.jpg

Nedjetti2.jpg

howto-yellow-back-25may2005.jpg

phpThumb.php

phpThumb.php

You can check out more here: Professional Hair Thread 1
and here: Professional Hair Thread 2

Lys... I guess that was a bit more than a couple pics :) Have fun with your hair

These are awesome and look very professional. Again, I can't imagine any of my admissions colleagues having a problem with any of these hair styles. They are neat, clean and celebrate a wonderful variety styles.

I always had long hair until about last year aug...I cut it all off...chop chop...i have gone from traditional dreadlocks twice(first time started fresh and second time with lock extension) brotherlocks(which are very versatile) to a very large afro lol...Sporting natural hair and looking professional is quite doable...however, there still are some old-school farts that believe dreadlocks are dirty and for thugs...THE NERVE OF THEM!!! If any of you are worried about the early phase of what i call "immature stage" of dreadlocks, try looking into lock extension...they can be quite expensive due to the hair costing about $20 per bundle...for an average head with medium sized locks about 6-8 bundles of hair will be needed...its all natural pure 100% human hair and they look amazing! some people charge about $200-400 not including the cost of the hair...but after about 6 hours, you will have a head full of amazing and VERY PROFESSIONAL lock extensions that look like you have been growing your healthy locks for years! I used to work at a natural hair salon doing loc maintenance and braids so i got a huge discount...but if money isnt an issue i say try that route if you want to skip the immature phase of the locking process...with the lock extension, they lock with your natural hair and you can either cut them off little by little as your hair grows, or you can just leave them in...another route is sisterlocks...i prefer this more for women because many of you have permed ends and dont want to cut your hair...With sisterlocks you can acheive locs with permed ends. they are also really really versatile! They can be braided, curled, and much more...if you wanna go the sisterlock route, try to find a trainee...they will be much cheaper than an actual certified sisterlocker...hundreds cheaper...their listings are on http://www.sisterlocks.com.

Also yahoo has a forum for sisterlocks with many many photos!

Kinky twist are another route...If you have about 4-8 inches of natural hair, this can also be a neater route for growing locks rather than the comb coils. Fresh twist can look quite stunning for an interview...they will also lock beautifully without the wierd directions that the comb coils go through...

if you all need any other info on this let me know...

thanks for the advice everyone! My hair has been natural my whole life and, like someone said earlier, is long and extremelly thick, so I try to stay braided or twisted most of the time. Right now I have kinky twists and I think I will probably just get them redone for interviews and maybe wait til after interviews to make a change. And thanks for the link fashion2088! i am definitely looking into getting sisterlocks! :thumbup:

I used to have locks and I loved them, and I cut them off. But after seeing this thread and seeing people talk about it, I think I am about to start growing my hair again. I'm applying this June so hopefully by the time interviews come around it will be long enough to do something with it. But, we shall see. God bless.

sounds good to me! and what part of LA are you from blackdr2b? im from norwalk :/

sounds good to me! and what part of LA are you from blackdr2b? im from norwalk :/

Thats wassup. I live in Carson, right on the border of Carson and Compton on Central Ave. That is my home but for right now I am up doing my postbacc at UC Davis School of Medicine.

Any tips on how to make your hair grow faster??

I have locs... I started them in June of 06. I was going to wait until I got into med school to start them but then I told myself that there is no time like the present!!! As long as your hair looks neat and professional, there shouldn't be a problem.

As for making your hair grow faster, there is no special way to fo that (well none that I know of). The key is retaining length.

I've been wondering about my hair too, although I don't have any intrviews yet. However, when I've gone to interviews for jobs I have alywas had it out and straight (for the same reasons I also only wear skirt suits, not pants). I've been fortunate in that I've only ever not gotten one hob, but I think that was moreso because it just wasn't the right fit. But I have braids now, and I've been growing out my hair for about a year now, but I always assumed that I should not wear braids for interviews regardless of the school). I planned to just find a dominican spot since they can do my hair like nobody's business, and it usually will resist some weather problems...I don't have thick hair at all, but when it's humid it's gets super puffy/frizzy. I'm guessing as long as I get an interview in the next few months humidity won't be that much of a problem. I want to see exactly what my natural texture will be so I can maybe stop getting perms or texturizers all togther. Have you all heard of miss jessies? They have some stuff called curly pudding that I want to try, although per NJB I won't be experimenting for an interview ;)

Any tips on how to make your hair grow faster??

Hair has a growing cycle and when it's up, the hair stops growing and usually falls out. Those folks with longer hair have a longer growning cycle. That being said, many folks put heat and chemicals in their already fragile hair (curly hair is far more fragile than straight hair due to the hair follicle shape). These cause the ends to fray and split. These split ends never repair themselves and need to be cut. If you want your hair to grow out as long as possible, keep the ends trimmed, minimize heat/chemical damage. The nice thing abut locks is that if they are maintained, they protect those fragile ends and hair grows nicely.

I won't put chemicals or heat in my hair. I do keep my hair moisturized, conditioned and long (it's about mid-way down my back and fairly thick) so that many mornings, I am out the door with my hair pulled back in a scrunchie wet but not dripping. It usually dries under my scrub cap by noon. I get my ends trimmed about every three weeks and thus my hair has stayed this length about the last 4 years.

When I was in medical school, I wore it buzzed (easy to take care of) and will likely buzz it again soon (I cut it short about every three to four years). I like having all one length, short or long and I love locks. At some point, my hair will be locked but that start-up period is crucial to having a great look.

Ive heard of miss jessies, but I hear its just overpriced curling creme. There is a recipe on nappturality.com that you can make that works just like it!

They also have some cool pictures of professional hairstyles!

i have had locs for 4 years now they grow extremely fast generally speaking but that first stage is pretty awkward. Not to be a conformist or anything but I would want to stand apart because of what I said, not my hairstyle. In the end do what makes you comfortable.

Best Wishes!!

I say be yourself. People need to get with the times. Especially medical school. Personally, I wouldn't go to any med school that didn't appreciate diversity. I know someone that got into UW, the #1 primary care med school in the country with a big nose ring, tattoos, and dreds. It just depends on where you apply. If you're applying to stuffy schools that don't appreciate your uniqueness and diversity, then it's a tough choice to make.

play the game; get accepted, then get huge tats on your shaved head that say **** THE DEAN or some such

btw: great hair, beautiful smile

well I don't want to put a perm in my hair since I've been growing it in and out of braids for the past year...so I'll probably hit up a dominican spot this weekend after I take my braids out and then hope it won't be humid! I don't really know what my natural texture is like...so this could be inteesting. I would love love love it though if it will look ok curly. I might need to get some miss jessies to get more definition rather than just frizz :-\

well I don't want to put a perm in my hair since I've been growing it in and out of braids for the past year...so I'll probably hit up a dominican spot this weekend after I take my braids out and then hope it won't be humid! I don't really know what my natural texture is like...so this could be inteesting. I would love love love it though if it will look ok curly. I might need to get some miss jessies to get more definition rather than just frizz :-\

I have no curly, and nothing to define. My hair looks fantastic, and so will yours :)

Lys

well its not just the curl of the hair but the hair on my face...I'm getting thicker these days, and my cheeks look I've been storing nuts for the winter LOL...so since my hair would be shorter than straight, the really question is will I look like a crack head (at leas to myself) or will it be some new cute style that will give me the freedom I've always wanted like I have with brads.

But thanks for the vote of confidence without even seeing me :D

After I read my post I realized how ridiculious I sounded, so I made a decision to wear my regular hairstyle (natural twists) to all 9 of my interviews.

So far Ive gotten three acceptances.

An aside: At my Morehouse interview, my interviewer asked me what are my favorite hairstyles to create (I did some hairdressing on the side back in the days). I said "any natural hairstyle." He took one look at my hair and said "do you have a problem with other types of hairstyles, like perms and weaves?" (or something to that effect) :confused:
Pause [in my head: OK, don't dig yourself into a hole sweetshauna]
I answered, "no, its just that Ive been natural all my life and a lot of black women use the journey from straight to natural to empower themselves, and I like being a part of that."
Three weeks later: ACCEPTED

Here's to being myself! :clap:

I have natural hair and I work with a physician. He likes my hair (I normally wear it in twists or twistout) and he likes it. However, being that I work in a hospital I get looks like "Thats not professional". I love my hair but I hate to admit that if I ever had an interview, I will def get my hair pressed because I know others will not accept my hair even though I do.

Really? Now I'm worried:D I have a twist-out now and I really like it! I am the OP (caligirlatheart) by the way, but I was having issues so I got a new profile:)