hunter hunter HUNTER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, all,
I'm encouraged to hear so much positive feedback about Hunter on this thread. I'm looking to register for this fall, but I only submitted my application today, which is a few weeks past the Feb. 1 "early review" deadline. That means, according to the website, that if I'm admitted I won't be guaranteed a spot in my fall classes. Has anyone been in this position and had it work out? Does the program usually fill up? Any insight much appreciated. Thanks!

This situation applies to me, too (sent my app the 22nd). I would like to do my post bac at Hunter, but my greatest concern is not being able to get into the classes. My friend who did her post bac at hunter said that it should be no problem. i'm applying to city college and stony brook's post bacs as well. although i do know that you can take classes at other CUNY schools and the grades will be on the same transcript, i would like to take all of my classes at hunter because of the committee letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Hunter-- Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Seriously. If you don't harass admins you will never get anything done correctly (or done at all). In their defense they get absolutely slammed with applications because of the cheap tuition.

The most frustrating part is that the class average for every test I have taken yet at Hunter has been failing. There are so many kids taking up seats who are just going to fail anyway. The most nerve-wracking part of this whole process has been wondering whether I'll get a seat in a class and be able to finish on time, not the class material itself.

Reactions: 1 user
This situation applies to me, too (sent my app the 22nd). I would like to do my post bac at Hunter, but my greatest concern is not being able to get into the classes. My friend who did her post bac at hunter said that it should be no problem. i'm applying to city college and stony brook's post bacs as well. although i do know that you can take classes at other CUNY schools and the grades will be on the same transcript, i would like to take all of my classes at hunter because of the committee letter.

I am in a similar boat with engdoc2 and jayccee (I applied to CUNY on Mar 17th).. and I'm debating between registering as a non-degree student at Hunter vs trying to take classes at another CUNY (if I don't get accepted to Hunter for this Fall).

One of the primary classes I'm trying to pick up is Orgo I, which I'm guessing is a pain to find a spot for anywhere you go. Does anyone have any experience with trying to register for Orgo I as a non-degree transfer student at Hunter?

Also, is there anyone else who has been in a similar situation as a "late" applicant? How probable is it to get accepted to Hunter if you submitted your application several weeks after the deadline? Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am preparing my Spring '11 application for Hunter's PBSET post-bacc. program -- I took most of the pre-reqs but need to improve my grades big time.

I have taken several math and science classes that are not pre-med courses: e.g. linear algebra. Should I include them in my GPA, or just the math/science classes that are considered pre-reqs?

Last edited:
Has anyone take Physical Chem in general and with Lous Massa specifically? I have a full time 9-5 and this literally the only class I could sign up for as a non-degree that could help my chances next time around on the app.

Just a little bump to solicit new experiences from anyone out there who has them to share.

I'm thinking about applying as a general student for the Spring semester, taking a calc class or something while I'm still working and saving money, and then bumping up to full time & applying to the postbac program come Fall. Anybody done something like this and want to share about it?

I'd also be happy to hear any new thoughts on student acceptance rates, where graduates end up going, and stuff like that. How do recs work, if most professors are unavailable for individual recommendations and you mostly just get a committee letter?

Just a little bump to solicit new experiences from anyone out there who has them to share.

I'm thinking about applying as a general student for the Spring semester, taking a calc class or something while I'm still working and saving money, and then bumping up to full time & applying to the postbac program come Fall. Anybody done something like this and want to share about it?

I'd also be happy to hear any new thoughts on student acceptance rates, where graduates end up going, and stuff like that. How do recs work, if most professors are unavailable for individual recommendations and you mostly just get a committee letter?

Hi Tiercelet,

I'm finishing up my first year as a post-bacc at Hunter and I've only got good things to say. Your best bet for info, etc. is to go to the Yahoo Groups page for Hunter's Post-Bacc community. Not quite as entertaining as SDN but plenty of information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc/

I'm waiting on admin approval at the yahoo group linked above (thanks!), but in the meantime figured I'd bump this thread up. I'm thinking about trying to start taking some postbac classes at Hunter in the fall and apply into the official premed program for the next application cycle. I did my undergrad at Columbia and feel a little weird about going somewhere else but I'm just not sure I can justify the cost of another 2 years there when I'd be paying in-state tuition at Hunter...

is there anyone else currently enrolled/thinking of enrolling in the program in the fall? I know this is a long thread already but it's a little old and I'd love some up-to-date insight. This late in the game, is there any chance I'd get into something like bio or gen chem for fall semester (since the Feb.1 transfer/2nd degree deadline for taking classes as a matriculated student has long passed...and it seems better to be a matriculated student than a non-degree, right?)

also, seems like the consensus re. advising is that you just need to be aggressive and proactive. what about volunteer/research/shadowing opportunities? does the pre-health office have any resources to help hook you up with that kind of thing?

Good chance for gen chem. so-so for bio. Basically classes that have an attached lab (like bio) are constrained by lab spots available. Gen chem is just a big lecture with no attached lab (lab is separate course) so there is a better chance at getting in.

Pre-health office might have some ideas for volunteering and there are some opportunities sent to the internal mailing list but you are largely on your own in terms of finding research/volunteer gigs.

is there anyone else currently enrolled/thinking of enrolling in the program in the fall? I know this is a long thread already but it's a little old and I'd love some up-to-date insight. This late in the game, is there any chance I'd get into something like bio or gen chem for fall semester (since the Feb.1 transfer/2nd degree deadline for taking classes as a matriculated student has long passed...and it seems better to be a matriculated student than a non-degree, right?)

also, seems like the consensus re. advising is that you just need to be aggressive and proactive. what about volunteer/research/shadowing opportunities? does the pre-health office have any resources to help hook you up with that kind of thing?

After finishing Hunter's post-bac program I have very few positive things to say about the school. You get what you pay for, I suppose. Several of the teachers are good, some even great. However, everything else about the school is a bureaucratic nightmare.

Examples:
1. After taking a semester there as a non-matric student and applying for the post-bac program I was denied because the program did not receive all my transcripts. I asked how this was possible as I submitted my transcripts from my undergraduate institution months in advance. They replied that they did not receive my Hunter transcripts for this semester. Even though it's the same school and the transcript would be blank because I was in the middle of the class/semester. This blew my mind.

2. 2 of my chemistry professors made grading mistakes and I could not get them corrected because they simply left and/or stopped replying to any contact requests. My physics prof simply went back to India at the end of the semester.

3. I requested a Spring committee letter in March of this year. It's almost October. It's still not done yet.

4. I requested my transcript sent to aadsas August 24th. My undergraduate institution had it done in a week. They did not receive Hunter's until 9/21. Almost a month later.

I'm throwing myself a "I never have to deal with anyone from Hunter ever again" party when they finally send my committee letter.

ETM125- I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Hunter. I heard too many stories like yours that I changed my preference to CCNY after I submitted my application to CUNY. While I was able to get into the classes I needed I had many similar experiences as yours at CCNY. I could have tried to pursue a committee letter from CCNY but knowing what I know about the CUNY system and how poor the CCNY Pre-med Director was, I decided to collect my own letters. I wouldn't trust something as important as a committee letter to her or anyone in CUNY.

In order to get into the classes they needed, two of my friends were literally reduced to tears and spent wasted days running between the Chemistry department to the bursar to the pre-science people (not sure why these people exist). And it wasn't like they were trying to do anything complex or pull a fast one. If you are trying to finish your classes with any alacrity you are going to deal with a Kafkaesque bureaucracy. It was maddening! For instance, I had actually taken my Chemistry sequence at Hunter and was trying to sign up for an organic chem lab that required gen chem as a pre-req. The stupid registrar at CCNY said my 9 credit sequence (3 cr+ 3cr +3cr) was not equivalent to the one that was offered at CCNY because their sequence was only 8 credits (4 cr+ 4cr). God forbid. It's like these people would complain if they were given a nice porterhouse at mcdonalds if they asked for a big mac. That's how stupid and illogical they were. It took me an entire day to register for two classes during the orientation. When the online transcript service broke down I asked the woman in the science office if I could register for my courses at that time because I had physically brought transcripts. She didn't seem to understand...

Obviously, you can sense my frustration. I'm sure not everyone had such a bad experience with the bureaucracy but the red tape of CUNY made the "big red tape" of my undergrad, Cornell, seem like first class customer service and efficiency. I was just shocked that these people in administration and advising, employed largely with city, state, and federal dollars could keep a decently paying job that millions of people would probably lick someone's shoes to have. My year (I tried to get in and out as quickly as possible) in this system basically turned me into a libertarian regarding the role of government...and this is coming from someone who spent the summer of 2008 working for the Obama Campaign.

Yet it was super cheap and i didn't go into debt.. and I was happy about that. Having taken courses at Hunter, CCNY, and Cornell I have come to realize that these silly (yet difficult) pre-reqs are basically interchangeable-- just make sure you study hard for the MCAT and make sure you get at least a 30. A friend of mine was insistent on taking his courses at Columbia and I was adamant that it was not worth 6.5X times the price. He stressed the linkage opportunities but I told him if you could get the grades you needed to link and the MCAT score you needed (around a 35) you would definitely get in somewhere decent without the premium. Plus, I've heard very mixed things about Columbia. Having $40-$50k in debt going into med school in addition to any other undergrad debt is crippling. Think about all of the interest before you finish your residency and start making big bucks.

Any Hunter students have recommendation/advice on a good place to take Precalculus during the summer & get credit transferred to Hunter?

Since I am in the certificate program for a fall start, I can't enroll in any summer classes at Hunter, but I would love to get precalc out of the way.

(Silly me thinking since I took precalc in high school, I wouldnt have to retake at college level!! Or that it should be easy to take a summer class at the college I am enrolled in! This bureaucracy is ridic!)