hunter hunter HUNTER!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the hunter postbac community has a yahoo group, which sends out mass emailings about events, etc. follow this link and subscribe:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc/

there's a party this friday, feb. 4th, to celebrate the first week of classes-- subscribe to the group to get the info. . .

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
i've searched online for the hunter post bac website but cannot seem to find it. does hunter have a formal post bac program?

according to the aamc website, hunter is not listed. am i missing something obvious here?

where can i download an application?

thanks in advance! :)

take care.

Has anyone here ever gotten an LOR DIRECTLY from Professor Alaie?

Members don't see this ad :)
stoleyerscrubz said:
Has anyone here ever gotten an LOR DIRECTLY from Professor Alaie?

i know someone who did-- as long as she knows you fairly well i'm sure she'd do it.

I walked into the premed office for the first time last week and was told the deadline for LOR submissions is March 1st. If you do not have everything in by then the next chance you will have to get a committee letter is in the Fall. There are 2 interviews you have to go through and then based on your LORs, interviews,transcripts etc they may or may not write a committee letter. I heard the acceptance rate to medical schools is 60%+ so perhaps they are very selective.

Anyhow my point is that everyone should open a file ASAP. I am going to use interfolio.com since that is my only option if I want to submit my application early (summer 2005).

Everyone including Professor Alaie told me that if you want LOR's from Bio 101/102 then you should get them from the Lab TA or recitation instuctor since they are working as "adjunct professors". Professor Alaie does not wirte LORs so be sure you attend the recitations and get an LOR before the semester is over.

There is one girl that lives in Professor Alaie's office and was asking tons of questions during lecture last fall and I'm wondering if she got an LOR.

Good luck.

:luck:

I was told that the deadline is not a drop dead deadline. meaning they start giving out interviews on march 1 but you can still turn in your packet a little later. They just stop accepting the packet once the interview spots have filled up.

Hello,
I am currently a student at the college of staten island. i just decided to go here because it was the closest of the bargain cuny schools to where i live (brooklyn). but i am finding out that the premed advisors here are more advisors who specifically want to send you to suny downstate brooklyn (which is alright, but i dont want to be limited), and that the school is ver new (about 10 years), and so does not have much of a reputation for anything. i like the classes (i have a's so far in gen bio, chem, calc, and psych), and the staff is very nice.

But i am wondering if i should transfer to hunter?

would i really be able to take advantage of hunters premed post bac program since i have already completed the majority of my premed classes at csi?
the only remaining required premed classes i have to take are ochem and physics (i might take another bio class or psych class for fun).

does the hunter name really make that much of a difference (compared to cunys staten island college, also a 4 year college)?

i wanted to take the mcats in 2006, and do all that applying stuff then.

thanks in advance!

stoleyerscrubz said:
I walked into the premed office for the first time last week and was told the deadline for LOR submissions is March 1st. If you do not have everything in by then the next chance you will have to get a committee letter is in the Fall. There are 2 interviews you have to go through and then based on your LORs, interviews,transcripts etc they may or may not write a committee letter. I heard the acceptance rate to medical schools is 60%+ so perhaps they are very selective.

Anyhow my point is that everyone should open a file ASAP. I am going to use interfolio.com since that is my only option if I want to submit my application early (summer 2005).

Everyone including Professor Alaie told me that if you want LOR's from Bio 101/102 then you should get them from the Lab TA or recitation instuctor since they are working as "adjunct professors". Professor Alaie does not wirte LORs so be sure you attend the recitations and get an LOR before the semester is over.

There is one girl that lives in Professor Alaie's office and was asking tons of questions during lecture last fall and I'm wondering if she got an LOR.

Good luck.

:luck:

this is a prime example of why you need to hound the premed office for information from day 1 of your time at hunter. . . some days they will say one thing, other days they will say something completely different. your best bet is to get to that office early and often!!

good luck

Hi I recently got this email from the yahoo group for Hunter post-bacc concerning applying without the committee letter.
Good Luck

It’s been my experience from applying this year that, while it may be slightly better to have a committee letter, if you have a good excuse not to have one (as is your case), then LORs are FINE. I actually did it both ways— some schools I sent the committee letter too (those were late) and others I just relied on LORs (those were a little earlier). I’ve had about equal succes with either ones.

Of course, what’s more important are your grades and MCAT scores— if they’re not strong, you don’t have to worry about letters— they won’t even look at them.

You can find more information from the guide to the application process at the following link:
http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4AwrQm...stbacc's Guide to the Application Process.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks. I was hoping my post would help out others in this thread.

My die is cast. I decided to go with interfolio.com for my LORs. I am set on applying this summer. I didn't want to give myself or my letter writers the aggravation of a 1-2 week deadline.

Thanks Lindyhopper, That was cool.. hehe...
This yahoo responder who you quoted here on the forum was actually replying to a post I made in that same yahoo group a few days ago! I'm t*******[email protected] :)
I feel so attended to here, heehee!

Thanks much,

gaki

Lindyhopper said:
Hi I recently got this email from the yahoo group for Hunter post-bacc concerning applying without the committee letter.
Good Luck

It’s been my experience from applying this year that, while it may be slightly better to have a committee letter, if you have a good excuse not to have one (as is your case), then LORs are FINE. I actually did it both ways— some schools I sent the committee letter too (those were late) and others I just relied on LORs (those were a little earlier). I’ve had about equal succes with either ones.

Of course, what’s more important are your grades and MCAT scores— if they’re not strong, you don’t have to worry about letters— they won’t even look at them.

You can find more information from the guide to the application process at the following link:
http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4AwrQm...stbacc's Guide to the Application Process.pdf

Hope this helps

Only reasons I would switch to Hunter if I were you was if:
1. You HATE your school/professors
2. You have 30 or more credits to complete
3. Going to Hunter is more convenient or just as convenient as your present school due to location.

You probably know the professors at your school more so it will be easier to get stronger LORs.

Supposedly Hunter has linkages with 2 hospitals but I forget which ones they are in NYC.

The Hunter name helps locally but this is not NYU, Columbia,etc.

You take the dreaded CPE yet? This will be my 2nd semester that I will ask for a waiver to take it. Wish I took it in January.

gaki said:
the only remaining required premed classes i have to take are ochem and physics (i might take another bio class or psych class for fun).

does the hunter name really make that much of a difference (compared to cunys staten island college, also a 4 year college)?

Hello, thanks for your feedback

I have already sent in my application to Hunter :p
I have been thinking about it, and decided Hunter might be better after all, not just because its "Hunter" compared to "Staten Island" but it looks like it will be easier for me to get in some hospital volunteer time if I go there. My commute to Staten Island was kind of yucky, but not too bad.. but Hunter is more central to places to volunteer.

I was actually doing great with my professors at Staten Island.. my professors seem to like me and say nice things about me :) .. I am kind of reluctant to leave for that reason, but hopefully they will be willing to write LORs for me later even if I transfer. Also, I have been there for only a year, so hopefully I can make as good an impression at Hunter so quickly.

luckily I am exempt (I think) from the CPE, since I already have a degree. Is it really hard? The Staten Island students seemed to have to do all kinds of extraneous this and that to be able to graduate.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Oh yeah, what is interfolio? Is this a good site to know?

gaki

stoleyerscrubz said:
Only reasons I would switch to Hunter if I were you was if:
1. You HATE your school/professors
2. You have 30 or more credits to complete
3. Going to Hunter is more convenient or just as convenient as your present school due to location.

You probably know the professors at your school more so it will be easier to get stronger LORs.

Supposedly Hunter has linkages with 2 hospitals but I forget which ones they are in NYC.

The Hunter name helps locally but this is not NYU, Columbia,etc.

You take the dreaded CPE yet? This will be my 2nd semester that I will ask for a waiver to take it. Wish I took it in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are welcome.

interfolio is a website that you can use for your LORs(lettors of recommendation) instead of using the university's premed office. Open a file in the premed office ASAP and get your LORs in right away too. I missed the deadline so I have to go with interfolio.

Summer registration starts around March 15th. a good time to get those GERs out the way.

There are a number of hospitals near Hunter. One is Mount Sinai and another is Cornell Weill-NY Presbyterian. The cool thing about Cornell Weill-NY Presbyterian is that you get direct patient contact in the ED. When I last checked at Mount Sinai they did not allow volounteers in the ED at all, but they do have other departments. Cornell Weill is about a 15 minute walk or 10 minute(waiting can take 10 minutes in addition to that) trip by bus.

Good luck

gaki said:
Thanks again for your feedback.

Oh yeah, what is interfolio? Is this a good site to know?

gaki

thanks for the handy information and tips :)

Good luck with your applications! :)

stoleyerscrubz said:
You are welcome.

interfolio is a website that you can use for your LORs(lettors of recommendation) instead of using the university's premed office. Open a file in the premed office ASAP and get your LORs in right away too. I missed the deadline so I have to go with interfolio.

There are a number of hospitals neat Hunter. One is Mount Sinai and another is Cornell Weill-NY Presbyterian. The cool thing about Cornell Weill-NY Presbyterian is that you get direct patient contact in the ED. When I last checked at Mount Sinai they did not allow volounteers in the EDat all, but they do have other departments. Cornell Weill is about a 15 minute walk or 10 minute(waiting can take 10 minutes in addition to that) trip by bus.

Summer registration starts around March 15th. a good time to get those GERs out the way.

Good luck

did you say that A&P is harder than Gen Bio!! that's great news! I took A&P 1&2 as a nursing student at hunter and loved it!! now that i decided to become premed in 2006, at least i will know that bio will at least be easier than chem and physics. thanks for the heads up!!

Lindyhopper said:
Good Luck

Hope this helps

Lindyhopper, how do you like the MA program at Hunter? Do you still have access to the pre-med advisory committee support? Is the application severely competitve and how is financial aid? I am currently finalizing my applications to one year - two year masters programs and wondering how I missed Hunter given my residence.

Other hunter post-baccers, can someone once and for all explain in detail the linkage to Cornell/Downstate. Is it a true linkage where if you get a certain mcat score and gpa at the program you can apply and skip the glide year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

SP98

My understanding is that there are three linkage programs; Cornell, Downstate, & Stony Brook. There is a PDF file that explains Hunter's post-bacc program including the linkages. Unfortunately, I don't have the file. But the linkages allow you to avoid the glide year.

I really like my MA program but for most applicants a SMP or certificate program is the most direct route. Consider programs like UMDNJ, Georgetown SMP, Drexel, BU, & PCOM. They are designed to get people into Med school & the courses give you a real leg up on Med school.

Hunter offers core Bio courses in the evening. I'll end up taking demanding grad courses in Cell, Molecular, Developmental Bio, Genetics, Neuro I & II, a biotech lab, & a seminar in which I did a paper review of the molecular basis of coronary artery disease. I'm generally pleased with the level of instruction. I don't think the program admission is particularly rigourous. They often treat the MA as a feeder to their PhD program.

A lot of people take courses as non-Matrics. If you have a BA & have taken the GREs they'll let you register. The core evening classes have a number of Med school applicant who work in different NYC labs.

I don't know about finanical aid or the committee letter for MA students.

The yahoo group may be an excellent place for many questions.

Hey there--

I am in charge of the Hunter post-bacc group this year, and am working on an alumni database (mostly as a resource for current students). Would you be willing to send me your information (name, email, med school, etc) to [email protected]?

Thanks,

--ilana

divinemsm said:
..hmmm , never noticed this thread before...I took some pre-req classes at Hunter ( microbiology and Organic Chem II )...as for the administration not always being on the up and up, I would tend to agree...HOWEVER, the whole medical school application process , on the whole , is a MISSION, to say the least: you have to be more than tenacious and conscientious in terms of accomplishing the individual steps...from the MCAT, AMCAS, LORs, interviews, thank you notes, updates, letters of interest, yada yada yada...think of it as training for the upcoming journey ! It's been a few years since I was at Hunter, but please feel free to PM me if you have any questions !

M.

I totally agree! Hunter has done so much for me in the past three years, which is one of the reasons that I'm posting here.

I am one of the co-presidents of the Hunter postbacc group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc/). One of the projects that we started this year was trying to track down alumni of the hunter postbacc program. We are in the process of building an alumni database for the current students to use as a resource (e.g. contacting alumni about their medical schools and advice, etc). If there are any Hunter alumni out there, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

--ilana

juniper456 said:
forget those overpriced fancy postbacc programs-- come to HUNTER! i, too, considered (and was accepted to) columbia, bryn mawr, bennington, etc., but ended up at hunter for financial reasons. i've completed one year and couldn't be happier. well, actually i could be happier if the administration was a bit more organized. . . but in terms of education quality it's definitely on-par with the others. especially in bio. and i know-- i went to an ivy school for undergrad.

just my two cents.

Is Hunter only for New York State residents?

Anyone can apply to Hunter College and being out of state will only effect your tuition.

Love2Learn said:
Is Hunter only for New York State residents?

i just couldn't bear to see my dear hunter thread so far down on the list. . .

:love:

juniper456 said:
i just couldn't bear to see my dear hunter thread so far down on the list. . .

:love:

For all of you out there who are trying to decide, Hunter is THE BEST-- it's 1/10th the price of some other private schools, the education is much better (I went to a foofy private undergrad and thought the teaching was far superior at Hunter), and the community is wonderful and non-competitive!

Is it too late for me to apply to Hunter as a postbacc and start in the fall?

Also, does anyone know what are the requirements for hte application, and where online to find hte application?

I just got wait listed at Drexel, and I live close to nyc, so i'm hoping to apply to hunter as a back up...but now i'm thinking maybe just going to hunter anyway

Please help, i'm so confused!!! :(

Thanks!!!

If you do not get into the post-bacc program at Hunter college you can take classes as a nondegree seeking student. If you search on here someone else did that last year and was able to get enrolled into classes off of the waitlist and also was able to go over the number of credits that are allowed for nondegree seeking students.

Good luck.

dazdandkonfuzd said:

Also, does anyone know what are the requirements for hte application, and where online to find hte application?

I just got wait listed at Drexel, and I live close to nyc, so i'm hoping to apply to hunter as a back up...but now i'm thinking maybe just going to hunter anyway

Thanks!!!

Finally took the CPE! :laugh:

So I missed the 1st one because I had exams and was told that it would not count against me. Missed the 2nd because I scheduled it on a Saturday during winter break (I was being lazy). Then I get a letter saying I better pass the 3rd one and I was not exempt for my first one. Then I had a classes at hunter on monday June 20th decided to have a big lunch before the exam and decided a power nap would help me out...yeah you know I showed up 15min late and they tell me I will have to come back on the 24th and hope there are some no-shows.

I'm glad I finally took it though because it looked like prep for the MCAT writing sample so now I don't think I will prepare for that. I'm taking the August MCAT.

before the exam:Read the sample a couple times and highlight/make notes, write the main idea and the exam should be a breeze. look at how the example of the perfect sample is structured(did not look that great to me).
during the exam: reread the prompt a few times. read task 1 and make an outline. reread the prompt again and just write. I realized I misead the prompt and had to start over after writing a whole page.

Task 2 is very easy. Just read a 1/2 page essay and compare it to some charts/graphs.

Some guy started trouble because he wanted to keep his writing sample since he did not finish it and wanted to cancel the rest of his exam. so manage your time well for task 1.

Another lady did not even know there was a 9 page essay to read before hand so she had to reschedule for Saturday. I hope she was not lazy like me.

You should still be able to apply for the Fall, but check with the admissions office to be sure. You will in all likelihood get a registration date that is scheduled for late August, and classes may be full then, but if you are persistent there is generally a way into classes. For hints, I'd suggest joining the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc and reading the Guide they have posted there - it gives a lot of tips to getting into closed classes.

p.s. Most postbaccs are registered as non-degree pre-med students. This application is much faster to process than the 2nd degree, matriculated student application. Definitely do the former; should you need to become matriculated to get federal aid, you can do so for the second semester going forward.

Best of luck!

dazdandkonfuzd said:

Thanks!!!

Juniper,
I'm interested in applying to Hunter because I've actually heard a lot of reactions similar to yours. I'm a little unclear on the application process though. Is it like Bryn Mawr, Columbia, Tufts etc in that it involves the formal application process, high selectivity etc or is it simply a registration process? Can you still qualify for letters of rec, premed sponsorship etc? I haven't been able to find any concrete details of the programs and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

juniper456 said:
forget those overpriced fancy postbacc programs-- come to HUNTER! i, too, considered (and was accepted to) columbia, bryn mawr, bennington, etc., but ended up at hunter for financial reasons. i've completed one year and couldn't be happier. well, actually i could be happier if the administration was a bit more organized. . . but in terms of education quality it's definitely on-par with the others. especially in bio. and i know-- i went to an ivy school for undergrad.

just my two cents.

bpgil said:
Juniper,
I'm interested in applying to Hunter because I've actually heard a lot of reactions similar to yours. I'm a little unclear on the application process though. Is it like Bryn Mawr, Columbia, Tufts etc in that it involves the formal application process, high selectivity etc or is it simply a registration process? Can you still qualify for letters of rec, premed sponsorship etc? I haven't been able to find any concrete details of the programs and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Hi there,

You can find the Hunter application (a very short one) on hunter's website. Just click on the following address: http://admissions.hunter.cuny.edu/Undergrad Page/NonDegree/NDappl.htm

good luck!

--ilana

Sorry if this is a weird question...but did any of you Hunter post-baccs go to (and struggle) at an Ivy league undergrad school? Hunter sounds like a great school with a strong program but i'm just tryint to get some honest feedback about the difficulty relative to a top school. thank you!

mynamewastaken said:
Sorry if this is a weird question...but did any of you Hunter post-baccs go to (and struggle) at an Ivy league undergrad school? Hunter sounds like a great school with a strong program but i'm just tryint to get some honest feedback about the difficulty relative to a top school. thank you!
Hi..as an Ivy League graduate who took some science classes at Hunter prior to applying to med school, I can assure you that at least with respect to Penn, Hunter was much easier. HOWEVER, this does not equate to " easy " by any stretch of the imagination...at the time when I was at Hunter, there were quite a few students who had already graduated from " top schools " , and as such, the competitive nature followed into the post-bacc program. The coursework can be challenging, but at the very least, you wont be competing with the Chemical Engineering Majors/ Biophysics majors for your grades..I found that to be an immense relief..hope this helps!

That helps very much. I happen to be a fellow Penn grad! It seems logical that the nature of this students from top schools follow, but I assumed (and hoped) that the overall environment would be less competitive and relatively less difficult. Thanks again.

mynamewastaken said:

hey--

I went to the University of Chicago and did my postbacc at hunter. Yes, the classes were easier, but not in a "this is a joke and a waste of my time" sort of way-- remember, the concepts that you learn are the same and the books that you use are the same or comprable to what you would use at your undergrad institution. I found the work to be challenging and quite intellectually stimulating. Also, many postbaccs take the easier classes by choice-- the intro to physics class at hunter is not calculus based (at my undergrad it was). But they do offer a calculus based intro to physics class as well.

In my opinion, one of the reasons that the classes may be 'easier', is because the teaching is far superior to anything I had at my undergraduate institution.

hunter is one of the CUNY schools and you may take the premed classes as a matriculated student, post-bacc, or unmatriculated student. In each case you would still be able to use the premed committee (do this VERY early), take premed classes, get LORs, get a premed committee letter,etc.

If you have a C average you should be able to matriculate to Hunter college and I do not think there is any favoritism for instate students.

there is a linkage program that you would have to ask others about as there are not many spots offered and I don't know much about it.

I'm not sure what premed sponsorship means.

bpgil said:
involves the formal application process, high selectivity etc or is it simply a registration process? Can you still qualify for letters of rec, premed sponsorship etc? I haven't been able to find any concrete details of the programs and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ditto on everything Ilana said. I went to an Ivy League school and was quickly 'weeded' out by gen chem and bio. It was taught at a ridiculously high level and the text books were horrible (i.e. they were not teaching text books) - I felt like an idiot. Hunter's pace is certainly a bit more relaxed (well, except maybe Orgo!), but the teaching was outstanding. That is to say, professors actually TAUGHT. A novel idea sometimes at an Ivy school where I find they do more presenting than teaching. At Hunter, they started at the beginning and built up the material from there. You still cover a lot of material, and Orgo is no joke, but again, if you make sure to get with a good professor, you will amaze yourself with what you learn. I think the proof of that, too, is in the fact that folks who do well in the pre-med classes generally also do well on the MCATs.

You will have to work, but if you had the brains to attend an Ivy league undergraduate instiution in the first place you should be a-ok at Hunter. I loved it and it has made me a huge appreciator of public education. Hunter is, IMHO, an undiscovered and/or underappreciated gem.

Good luck!

mynamewastaken said:

Again, thank you so much....at the very least it is clear the student body is amazing. I appreciate all the help. Best of luck to all of you!

I realize it may vary tremendously, but do most post-baccs take night or day classes? I'll be commuting from Long Island and I've been trying to plan ahead to create (if i can!) a convenient and efficient schedule....any advice? Thank you!

most take night classes but it is next to impossible to take more than 1 science course if you restrict yourself to ONLY night classes. Usually there is only one lecture for the night classes in the basic sciences and maybe 1-2 lectures during the day. The Science departments don't seem to try to put basic science classes in a schedule to allow you to take 2 science clourses at night.

I could look up some class schedules if you need me to.

City College is also an excellent CUny school and I was told that Queens college has a solid science program as well but I never looked into it.

mynamewastaken said:
I realize it may vary tremendously, but do most post-baccs take night or day classes? I'll be commuting from Long Island and I've been trying to plan ahead to create (if i can!) a convenient and efficient schedule....any advice? Thank you!

I'm trying to decide between Hunter and some of the pricier alternatives and want to make sure that I'm preparing myself best for a couple of years down the road. My undergrad grades weren't great, so to be a competitive med school applicant down the road I know I need to do very well as a post bac. My question is, will doing well at Hunter help to make up for my not so fantastic grades, or should I rely more on the name and structure of one of the more expensive, more selective programs? I don't think there's a simple answer to this, so I'd really like to hear any opinions people have. Also, I know that a lot of students can't handle the academics of harder classes (like orgo) in Hunter's program and drop out and that the attrition rate throws off the overall percentage of enrolled students who get into med school...but does anyone have an idea of the success rate of students who do make it through the whole course load? Thanks a lot.

bpgil said:
. . . does anyone have an idea of the success rate of students who do make it through the whole course load? . .

Hunter has a pretty diverse student population. I would generally say it has good teachers, a solid program, little administratative support, & a good placement record.
A good place to ask more specific questions is this active Hunter post-bacc yahoo discussion group. It's like a mini-SDN for the Hunter post-bac community.

mynamewastaken said:
what's your background like?

Thanks for the reply...here's a little background. I went to a pretty respected liberal arts school and took very few science classes and was an overall mediocre student (at best..finished with a 2.8). After college I worked for 3 years and change for a photo agency...met some pretty interesting people and did well with the company...though not the place to pick up a lot of skills transferable to medicine. very high pressue, deadline oriented work, but very little science outside of darkroom work. anyway, i left my job several months ago to take a couple of classes at an ivy school (largely unrelated..math and finance), where i did well and to figure out how to get started with medicine. i've applied to a few structured programs and to hunter and HES and realize that even with great grades i may not be the most competitive applicant ever. i'm trying to be realistic and figure out if this is a pipedream or if Hunter's program could make me a more attractive applicant. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

bpgil,

You're correct in that there is no easy answer, but there are a few things to consider. GPA is CRITICAL in this game. Your post-bacc GPA that is. And while grades are certainly not handed out on a silver platter at Hunter, I would venture to say that it is a good bit easier to get an A there than at a school such as Columbia. I attended an Ivy as an undergrad, and Hunter as a post-bacc and the latter was definitely easier (don't get me wrong though, you will still need to work hard to get an A!) If you have a 4.0 or close to it in your post-bacc, where you did your postbacc will not matter. Where the name of a post-bacc might factor in a bit more is say if you get Bs. In that case, a B from Columbia might look a bit stronger than a B from Hunter, though exactly how much is really hard to say.

Do not discount yourself as a competitive applicant at this stage of the game! Attending medical school with your background (or really with most any background) is NOT a pipedream in the slightest. Most post-baccs do not have a stellar GPA - you are hardly alone in that. And, with respect to your work not being science-related - it doesn't matter in the least. Some of the applicants I have known to do best in terms of acceptances have been musicians, writers, and massage therapists. In evaluating non-traditional students, medical schools really like to see colorful stories, backgrounds, life experiences, etc. What matters is not WHAT you did but HOW you did it. Where you good at what you did? Did you show an enthusiasm for working and for learning? etc.

You will obviously want to be sure that going forward you begin to incorporate some sort of medical exposure/experience into your activities, as that is important for medical schools to see so that they trust that you are making an educated, informed decision. But, as long as you do that, do well in your coursework, and do anything else you can that might make you stand out as a candidate (i.e. make you different from the swarms of others applying), you can be as competitive as the next person!

Don't think twice about your background. You are perfectly situated to be as successful as you want to be in this process.

Best of luck to you!

bpgil said:
Thanks for the reply...here's a little background. I went to a pretty respected liberal arts school and took very few science classes and was an overall mediocre student (at best..finished with a 2.8). After college I worked for 3 years and change for a photo agency...met some pretty interesting people and did well with the company...though not the place to pick up a lot of skills transferable to medicine. very high pressue, deadline oriented work, but very little science outside of darkroom work. anyway, i left my job several months ago to take a couple of classes at an ivy school (largely unrelated..math and finance), where i did well and to figure out how to get started with medicine. i've applied to a few structured programs and to hunter and HES and realize that even with great grades i may not be the most competitive applicant ever. i'm trying to be realistic and figure out if this is a pipedream or if Hunter's program could make me a more attractive applicant. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, while there is certainly a good-sized pool of post-baccs that take evening classes, there is also a large group that takes day classes. So, bottom line, you can do either. Most classes are offered both in the evening and day, though Biology will only be offered in the evening going forward. There are plenty of folks who take only evening classes and manage to work it into their work schedule. In terms of getting into classes - it can be tricky no matter whether you are trying to get into day or evening classes. The most important thing is to be on top of your registration date, especially once you are already at Hunter and are on the normal registration schedule. If you are only registering this August for classes this fall, this is late registration, and getting into classes might seem hard - but there is almost always a way in. For hints on how to get in, I'd recommend joining the mini-sdn-type yahoo site for hunter postbaccs (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreHealthPostBacc) and reading the related section in the Post-bacc Guide to Hunter document.

Do note that many 'evening' classes actually start at 5:30, so you may need to be able to leave LI pretty early to get to Hunter in time.

Good luck!

mynamewastaken said:

thanks for this great thread. it's a fact that
hunter is among best postbac programs out there.
i hope to start this fall.

my questions are:

1. what range of medical schools do postbacs
after completing the program? do we have data
on this? there are data for some years back,
but these are discontinued.

2. dr. alaie-petrillo. as you know, she teaches
huge classes. i'm sure all want a LOR from her.
700 students. 1 professor. am i expecting
endless lines during office hours? how is she
really going to get to know you (and vice-versa)
given the size of the classes?

let me phrase it another way. how is the program
noncompetitive when 1. it is inexpensive and good
and 2. huge number of students attend, and all
seek the same goal?

Solipsis,

To answer (or not) your questions:
1) The current premed office does not keep statistics. It's one of the (rather large) short-fallings of the current office. There is, however, a new pre-health advisor starting this fall, and I trust things will change as soon as that person gets his/her bearings. But, anecdotally, post-baccs do well in their acceptances. If you go to the yahoo groups page that keeps getting brought up in these posts, under the 'Database' portion of the page, there is a database of a long (though still only partial) list of the schools to which postbaccs were accepted this year - it will give you a good flavor as to where folks go. But, certainly students do very well in getting into all the NYC schools, SUNY schools and generally schools in this area (Jefferson, Drexel, etc). The list is not limited to this area, but it seems a lot of folks do like to stay around here.

2) Dr. Alaie does not write LORs/evals. For the exact reason you mentioned (i.e. the class size being huge), Biology is the one class in which you are not expected to get an evaluation from the professor. Instead you get them from your recitation and lab TAs. Her office hour lines are not horrendously long, as recitation and lab TAs also hold office hours.

3) Whether a school is competitive in nature or not has mostly to do with the type of student body it boasts. Hunters students, especially the post-baccs, are of a very collegial nature. Undergrads too, as they are generally not from a privileged background (as most or at least many Ivy kids are), and they have worked hard to get where they are. Also, not all the classes are THAT huge. Bio 100 is enormous for a few reasons: 1) only 1 prof teaches it 2) Starting this fall, there is only 1 section - which means that all 700 students will be in the auditorium at one time. They used to be split up over two sections 3) Many undergrads take the class to fill their core science requirement - meaning many students in the class are NOT pre-med. Therefore, although the class is large in number, that number does not reflect the number of pre-med students. The rest of your classes will be smaller in size. But, you will still need to make an effort to get the professor to get to know you so s/he can write you a meaningful evaluation at the end of the semester.

Post-baccs are all in the same boat, and at Hunter they like to support one another through this usually somewhat scary albeit exciting adventure. You'll get a feel for that right away on the yahoo group. That's exactly why Hunter is special - students help and support each other. We all want the same thing (that is to get into med school), but there is no reason that everyone can't achieve that same goal.

Good luck.

solipsis said:
thanks for this great thread. it's a fact that
hunter is among best postbac programs out there.
i hope to start this fall.

my questions are:

1. what range of medical schools do postbacs
after completing the program? do we have data
on this? there are data for some years back,
but these are discontinued.

2. dr. alaie-petrillo. as you know, she teaches
huge classes. i'm sure all want a LOR from her.
700 students. 1 professor. am i expecting
endless lines during office hours? how is she
really going to get to know you (and vice-versa)
given the size of the classes?

let me phrase it another way. how is the program
noncompetitive when 1. it is inexpensive and good
and 2. huge number of students attend, and all
seek the same goal?

When Dr. Alaie told me that I thought she had to be BS'ing me. I know a couple of students who would monopolize class time with off topic questions and office hours last year and I figured they were gunning for an exception to her rule.

She had office hours I think only once/week for 2 hours so there seemed to always be a small line(2-7 people) outside her office. She puts a lot of effort into picking solid TA's that she expects you to seek help from and to get your LOR. Don't blow off recitation.

RogueRules said:
2) Dr. Alaie does not write LORs/evals. For the exact reason you mentioned (i.e. the class size being huge), Biology is the one class in which you are not expected to get an evaluation from the professor. Instead you get them from your recitation and lab TAs. Her office hour lines are not horrendously long, as recitation and lab TAs also hold office hours.

Dr Alaie was not BS'ing you. Don't get me wrong - she will and does write LORs for the 3-5 students she hand-picks to TA for her, but that's it. No one else gets one. That of course, does not mean that students don't try. She has plenty of people asking her for letters, but they all get the same answer: NO. Just because a professor sets a rule, doesn't mean students won't gun for it anyways! But, with her, they won't get very far at all. They just get redirected to their TAs.

stoleyerscrubz said:
When Dr. Alaie told me that I thought she had to be BS'ing me. I know a couple of students who would monopolize class time with off topic questions and office hours last year and I figured they were gunning for an exception to her rule.

She had office hours I think only once/week for 2 hours so there seemed to always be a small line(2-7 people) outside her office. She puts a lot of effort into picking solid TA's that she expects you to seek help from and to get your LOR. Don't blow off recitation.