Humanitarian Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a GMO what is the possibility of doing Humanitarian work overseas if you would like too or is that not really an option as a GMO? Because I'm aware of the military and specifically the Navy doing such operations.

I plan on applying for the HPSP at the end of this coming summer in hopes of possibly serving as a GMO in remote locations or do volunteer/humanitarian work overseas. I rather fill my active duty time straight out of med school for 4 years then apply for a civilian GME.

Members don't see this ad.

It is of course possible but don't expect it. I could be wrong but I see a lot of HPSP applicants under the illusion they can "deploy" for humanitarian missions to avoid combat deployments. Be prepared not to and look for a billet where it may be possible. In general the Comfort and Mercy are staffed with board certified physicians. I am sure there are always exceptions to the rule however.

It is of course possible but don't expect it. I could be wrong but I see a lot of HPSP applicants under the illusion they can "deploy" for humanitarian missions to avoid combat deployments. Be prepared not to and look for a billet where it may be possible. In general the Comfort and Mercy are staffed with board certified physicians. I am sure there are always exceptions to the rule however.

Thanks for the response, and I wouldn't use it as intentions to avoid deployment, I would fulfill the combat deployment if needed, I was just wondering about Humanitarian work like on the side when available

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, and I wouldn't use it as intentions to avoid deployment, I would fulfill the combat deployment if needed, I was just wondering about Humanitarian work like on the side when available

Pretty unlikely. GMOs aren't really part of that mission except in rare circumstances. Also, the Navy version of humanitarian work is to show up for a couple of weeks, put on a show, and move along. Its pretty superficial.

As a GMO what is the possibility of doing Humanitarian work overseas if you would like too or is that not really an option as a GMO? Because I'm aware of the military and specifically the Navy doing such operations.

I plan on applying for the HPSP at the end of this coming summer in hopes of possibly serving as a GMO in remote locations or do volunteer/humanitarian work overseas. I rather fill my active duty time straight out of med school for 4 years then apply for a civilian GME.

Some other food for thought.

As a GMO you will have several hoops to jump through even to go on relief missions while on personal leave.

You will have to get approval in writing prior to going, check in with embassy both on arrival and departure. If you want to go anywhere that has significant travel advisory, you can pretty much forget it.

Some other food for thought.

As a GMO you will have several hoops to jump through even to go on relief missions while on personal leave.

You will have to get approval in writing prior to going, check in with embassy both on arrival and departure. If you want to go anywhere that has significant travel advisory, you can pretty much forget it.

Alright, I guess someone can go the route with the volunteer abroad programs if willing to help overseas

You could always to Public Health HPSP. You're not in jungles of S America, but you would be providing medical care to an underserved population here in the states. If your goal is treating the underserved primarily, then that seems like a plausible route.