Navy Finding Joy in Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastrapathy

I’m just here so I don’t get fined
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A .ppt posted on the MC sharepoint site from the SL meeting (among others) has that title. It’s not FOUO but I didn’t ask my source for permission to post it so you Navy types will have to review on your own.

Members don't see this ad.

You know where joy in work used to be had: the O Club. Sure would be awesome to see some of those come back to life even if just a portion of what they used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give the Army any ideas. They'll put it on JKO along with a 30 question test and make it mandatory training...

Reactions: 1 users
Is this anything like the resiliency training that the Army mandated awhile ago? One of the tag lines from that series was "hunt the good stuff". I sat through several days' worth of lectures on that in BOLC, and then had to do it periodically until separation. Nothing like building up resiliency with a mind-numbing lecture while the clinical work piles up in your absence. The irony was palpable. Which says nothing of the not-so-implicit message of, "If things suck, then don't point it out and try to fix it. Internalize it, because it'll all be better if you just change your attitude."

Reactions: 1 user
Has no one seen this yet? It’s soo good

I just read it. I suppose there are some people who would enjoy and benefit from it. There's something to be said for taking time to enjoy the good things in your life/job.

I wouldn't voluntarily attend such an exercise. A mandatory session in which I was directed to share my thankfulness with random people, like some kind of strained family Thanksgiving round-the-table thank-a-thon modeled after a junior high after-school TV special, would fill me with a boiling rage. I don't think I could be a constructive participant under those circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this anything like the resiliency training that the Army mandated awhile ago? One of the tag lines from that series was "hunt the good stuff". I sat through several days' worth of lectures on that in BOLC, and then had to do it periodically until separation. Nothing like building up resiliency with a mind-numbing lecture while the clinical work piles up in your absence. The irony was palpable. Which says nothing of the not-so-implicit message of, "If things suck, then don't point it out and try to fix it. Internalize it, because it'll all be better if you just change your attitude."
This was exactly my take on the “hunt the good stuff” phase. What they really meant was “ignore the bad stuff even if there’s an easy fix and try to concentrate on anything that doesn’t make you want to blow your brains out. What about something outside of work, since nothing here is worthwhile?”

It was like an assault victim going to their happy place. Just over here hunting the good stuff.

There’s actually a difference between “make he best out of things” and “hunt the good stuff.” The former indicates that you enjoy the good stuff, but you’re also trying to fix the bad.

It was just like every person at my first duty station saying “it could be worse.” That was basically the introduction at that station. Yep. It could be worse. It could also be a hell of a lot better. So now we’re back to square one.