This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillmakesuretopass

Reaction score
I am divided between NYU and Buffalo. I am from brooklyn so I can stay home and commute which is 1 hour to an hour and 15 minutes. If I stay in buffalo then I save commuting time but I will live by myself so have to do cooking and other chores.

NYU Pros:
- GET HPSP and save $450,000 tuition and stay at home so, save the stipend of $2,000 even help my parents pay off my home mortgage early.
- Also military might allow me to get VA home loans.
- Stay at home so save time on chores
- In Air Force HPSP they make me do AEGD which is a good residency program.
- Diverse population of patients.
- In HPSP I won't have loans and if I save, at end of five years I will have about $200k -$250k saved for me to buy my own practice when I come back to the civilian world.
- Also in the military people say it's a bit easier to specialize in OMFS because no one wants to spend 4 years as one of the lowest-paid OMFS in the country. So, do you think there is a higher chance of me getting straight into OMFS residency out of dental school in the military?

NYU Cons:
- Commute which is 1 hour to hour and 15 minutes
- Heard how competitive the environment is
- they kick out students if you fail three classes
- the class size is very big
- Will I be able to own practice right after I get out of the military if I have the money to buy it? Or if I work as an associate for a year or 2 to learn the skills do you think it's doable to get your own practice?
- I don't want to go to NYU and then get kicked out.

Buffalo Pros:
- Cheaper. The total cost of attendance = $350k including living expenses. But tuition is only $250k so doesn't make sense to take HPSP thus, buffalo I will take loans.
- when I went there it had a very community-like feeling. I felt the faculty really care about you
- the students seemed very helpful to each other less of a competitive environment.
- I heard they try to help if you are struggling and don't kick out many students.
- The clinical years are great.
- We each get our on the station.
- No commute probably 5-10 minutes at most.
- Use PAYE OR REPAYE so monthly payments of only $800 - $1200 initially.
- Hopefully, have my own practice in 3-4 years.

Buffalo Cons:
- I have to stay away from home so time is spent doing chores. Moreover, it wouldn't make sense to take HPSP so, lose the stipend money as well.
- Harder to specialize in civilian programs compared to the military.
- Away from family and friends (but really doesn't matter).
- I might have to go to a rural setting for 2-4 years after graduation to pay off the debt and save for having my own practice. So, it ends up being like HPSP.

Thus, I can't decide which one to pick and if you people can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I like both can't pick one. What would you do if you were in my position?

*****AT THE END WHICH IS BETTER NYU OR BUFFALO*****

Sorry for the long post. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chores are factoring into your decision? Do you get waited on hand and foot?

Military is a great deal. If you take HPSP while living at home and getting a living stipend it’s a pretty good gig. Don’t overestimate the ease of specializing in the military, you still need to do well. If you want OMFS in the military get ready for 10 years of service. You may be one of the lowest paid surgeons but you will be one of the highest paid residents.

OR you can be a GP and specialize once you get out after 4 years, and if you get into a surgery program you can use your GI Bill to supplement your residency stipend.

Reactions: 1 users
Harder to specialize in civilian programs compared to the military.
This is probably only true for OMFS. It can be harder to get into some military specialties compared to civilian programs.

Have you already been selected for the HPSP? Or, are you just speculating here?

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably only true for OMFS. It can be harder to get into some military specialties compared to civilian programs.

Have you already been selected for the HPSP? Or, are you just speculating here?

Big Hoss
I am speculating here but the person who interviewed was really nice and said he would definitely recommend me. So, I am being hopeful here.

If you were in my place and had received the HPSP what would you pick?

I am speculating here but the person who interviewed was really nice and said he would definitely recommend me. So, I am being hopeful here.

If you were in my place and had received the HPSP what would you pick?
He has been in your place and did receive HPSP.

Don’t be quick to speculate being awarded HPSP. And specifically Air Force. School is expensive and it is very competitive. It is also very easy to be medically disqualified. Plan on taking loans and hope to receive the scholarship.

Have you been accepted to both schools?

This thread is funny.

logic andykassier GIF

Reactions: 1 user
Cost aside, those that have attended NYU have not been so kind in their comments on here. I don’t know anyone personally who went there. The class size seems crazy to me. I have two friends that went to Buffalo and they said it was a solid program.

Also, never count on getting the HPSP. The HPSP has probably less than a 50% acceptance rate now. The military is shrinking the number of dentist spots, so it’s getting very competitive. I think I read on SDN that the average DAT for the Navy last cycle was 23.

All that said, I’d go to Buffalo. I went to an “affordable” state school vs. fancy expensive schools, even though I had the HPSP. I went to a school where I thought I would thrive most as a student. No regrets.

Big Hoss

Cost aside, those that have attended NYU have not been so kind in their comments on here. I don’t know anyone personally who went there. The class size seems crazy to me. I have two friends that went to Buffalo and they said it was a solid program.

Also, never count on getting the HPSP. The HPSP has probably less than a 50% acceptance rate now. The military is shrinking the number of dentist spots, so it’s getting very competitive. I think I read on SDN that the average DAT for the Navy last cycle was 23.

All that said, I’d go to Buffalo. I went to an “affordable” state school vs. fancy expensive schools, even though I had the HPSP. I went to a school where I thought I would thrive most as a student. No regrets.

Big Hoss
THIS^
i would bet that the acceptance rate for HPSP is well under 50%...

I would go to Buffalo scholarship or not.

Any school that has a reputation for students repeating years/failing out and diminishing clinical experience should probably be avoided. Aka don’t go to NYU.

would you really feel comfortable going to a school that kicks out their students? knowing you might not come out a dentist at the end of it and being left with 6 figures of debt?

given all your priorities (omfs residency, cost is factor, wanting a good program), all signs are pointing towards buffalo. it would be shocking if anyone picked nyu over buffalo, even if cost is the same. curriculums are vastly different