hpsp hole in ear and skill atrophy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onigiri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a big concern for skill atrophy for primary care docs in the military medicine? I think psychiatry will definitely not.

Lastly, I used to have gauges as big as a eraser on a pencil. It didn't fully close up, but it looks closed. You can barely see through my right hole and cannot see anything at all in my left ear. They are slightly camouflaged slits.

Will I need to get them closed up before I can join?

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of primary care opportunities in the mil, so skill/knowledge atrophy is less of a concern for primary care, although you may find yourself losing the internal medicine aspects if you end up in a GMO type spot. I think skill atrophy is more of a worry with surgeons.

Not sure about the gauges. I doubt the mil would allow that to prevent ensnaring another doc.

Reactions: 1 user
Riceball, the gauge holes will depend upon whoever reviews you at MEPS. If they think they're earring holes, you'll get a pass. If they think they're gauge holes, you'll have to get them fixed. If they're that small, it's a fairly easy thing to do.

Reactions: 1 user
request to a dodmerb physical instead of MEPS, far less nuisance