HPSP for DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bafanculo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the HPSP scholarship program is available to pay for Osteopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad.

bafanculo,
There are actually a large percentage of D.O.'s practicing in the military. I applied for the Army HPSP in October and was easily awarded a scholarship with an Osteopathic acceptance. I actually feel like D.O.'s are more popular with the military than MD's (although this is just my opinion based on feeling and not fact).

Later,
Leighton

Members don't see this ad :)
Gen. Tommy Franks personal physician is a D.O. Travels with the guy wherever he goes. :clap: :clap: :D

Last time I heard an estimate, the number of D.O.s in the military is around 10%, which is more than the 7-8% overall representation of D.O.s. Overall, it is a D.O. friendly environment. By the way, there have been osteopathic surgeon generals.

bafanculo:

I was offered an HPSP scholarship by the Air Force. I signed the contract on Tuesday, and have absolutely no reservations. If you are looking for more info, check out the threads in the Financial Aid Forum. A search on "military" or "HPSP" throughout SDN posts will give the best results. Information is surprisingly lacking on the web, but if you type "Luke's HPSP page" into google, it will lead you to a great site with a lot of links--mainly for the Air Force, but all of the programs are very similar. Good luck in your search, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I'm accepting the Air Force scholarship too. I know the Navy has quite a few spots open as well. Good luck to you all! For those doing the Air Force scholarship...when will you be going to COT?

I got the COT info in the mail yesterday. I'm hoping to attend the June session. I could attend the July/early August session, but that would play havoc with my plans to move to Phoenix the 1st week of Aug. My girlfriend has said she'd be really pissed if she gets stuck with all of the packing duties.

In the COT info packet, they enclose a CD that explains what to expect and how to prepare physically for the tour. I'd like to do well on all of the fitness tests so I can graduate with honors. I did my first 1.5 mile run yesterday and wasn't nearly as slow as I expected to be.

I'll also be receiving an Air Force HPSP and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be commissioned on Monday and I'm planning to attend COT in June also. It looks like there will be a few of us at that session.

I have also applied to the usaf hpsp. My board met on March 25...I have heard that I might here back by the middle of april. what was the turn around for the rest of you?? I am really hoping for this to work out, but I know that it is very competitive. I hope to be joining the rest of you in June for COT. Later KEN

I just received my af hpsp notification by snail mail today. SoCal, you should probably hear in the next few days. Got mine relatively quickly, since I'm in San Antonio. Good Luck!

Cyndi

Thanks Cyndi...hopefully I will be hearing some good news soon. Congratulations with your acceptance.

I just got commissioned last friday...hopefully I can make it into the June 3rd COT. How's everyone else doing with the COT dates?

Is anybody else still waiting to here from the military regarding this scholarship?

F/A- I tried burning a copy of the CD, but I could not. If you pm me your address, I would be happy to mail you my copy. I have not attended COT yet, but I did go through AF Basic Training 3 years ago. At COT, I believe that you can expect minimal physical conditioning, lots of AF related academics, some field training, and a decent dose of military customs, courtesies, and uniform wear. I enjoyed Basic, so I'm looking forward to COT. I work with nurses at Wilford Hall who all went through COT and said it was nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Cyndi

Hey Kenny have you heard from the Air Force yet. I'm waiting to here back from the Navy. Hopefully by the end of next week.

Justin