HPSP and DO match List statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you currently in DO school, and/or graduates of, could give me a little information about your experiences with HPSP and military match. The search engines are falling short on this one, y'all. I'm going through the HPSP program, and ideally would want a military residency match. As a DO, do you find it challenging to get a military match? Are there many or very few slots? Just probing and seeing what struggles my future may hold.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe others have more experience with this, but my understanding is that the military doesn't care if you're MD or DO like the civilian world does.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't speak for the match, but some of my friends in school are doing HPSP. Nothing but props to them. If you're already in the thick of things, forgive me, but one thing to be aware of is the fact that officer training consumes both your summers after M1 and M2. While kind of inconvenient for M1, it's doable and can be fun.

The issue is you need to plan your boards accordingly during M2. My friends didn't really get a dedicated study period and had to take their boards super early/late in order to attend.

Your match is much earlier (Dec), and you need to have auditions at military residencies if you want somewhere specific. The good news is uncle Sam is uninterested in an unmatched DO, so your pretty much guaranteed an intern year, possibly followed by a flight surgeon (or equivelent) year or two at the worst. You should really be asking this in milmed tho.

Reactions: 1 user