HPSP class of 2022 (Medical, Dental, Optometry, Clinical Psych, Veterinary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why are you applying?

• Total voters
Kind of, we do have 2 year scholarships but to be offered that you have to apply to the 3 year one first and put on the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Vet Corps HPSP.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 81
E9763DD3-1F5E-41C2-8B15-E62AA305E1AD.jpeg

made for the 4 yrs Army program, dental. can i accept only 3 yrs?

Members don't see this ad :)
First off congrats!
Second: I’m Not sure... probably a question for your recruiter

My recruiter said no... If I want to do so, it's a whole new application in the future cycle.

made for the 4 yrs Army program, dental. can i accept only 3 yrs?

A. You asked for and got one of 65 coveted slots - congratulations
B. If you were to get a three-year scholarship, should you take the 20K accession bonus you are going to owe four years anyway
C. If by some miracle (and that's what it would take to get a three-year without being one of the "roll-overs") you still have to apply for the AEGD
D. You essentially got your answer prior to posting on SDN. Were you hoping the answer would change from SDN members?

Finally, in all fairness to the others who applied for the four-year, and missed the mark because your application was just that much better, please turn it down as quickly as possible so that someone else can get it.

Reactions: 1 user
A. You asked for and got one of 65 coveted slots - congratulations
B. If you were to get a three-year scholarship, should you take the 20K accession bonus you are going to owe four years anyway
C. If by some miracle (and that's what it would take to get a three-year without being one of the "roll-overs") you still have to apply for the AEGD
D. You essentially got your answer prior to posting on SDN. Were you hoping the answer would change from SDN members?

Finally, in all fairness to the others who applied for the four-year, and missed the mark because your application was just that much better, please turn it down as quickly as possible so that someone else can get it.

Thank you for a straitforward and clear answer. However,

B. Isn't the obligatory service years after graduation 1-on-1 match? Like, 4 years scholarship leaves me 4 years contract and 3 leaves 3?
D. I got the answer AFTER I posted this. I applied for HPSP when I was AD, so there are some time discrepancy between my location and my recruiter. I didn't want to call him off-business hour. And that's why I posted the "update" for what I figured out to share with my peers.

Thank you for a straitforward and clear answer. However,

B. Isn't the obligatory service years after graduation 1-on-1 match? Like, 4 years scholarship leaves me 4 years contract and 3 leaves 3?
D. I got the answer AFTER I posted this. I applied for HPSP when I was AD, so there are some time discrepancy between my location and my recruiter. I didn't want to call him off-business hour. And that's why I posted the "update" for what I figured out to share with my peers.
The service is 1 to 1 match, but if you take the sign on bonus it is an automatic 4 year obligation. So whether you take the 3 year scholarship or 4 year scholarship, you will serve 4 years payback with the sign on bonus.

My recruiter said no... If I want to do so, it's a whole new application in the future cycle.

You would have to re-board for the three year scholarship, it is either take the four year now or decline in which you would be pretty much black listed when you apply for the three year application because you just wasted hours and hours of peoples time applying for something you didn't even plan on accepting.

You would have to re-board for the three year scholarship, it is either take the four year now or decline in which you would be pretty much black listed when you apply for the three year application because you just wasted hours and hours of peoples time applying for something you didn't even plan on accepting.

“Blacklisting” due to this is poor form on our recruiters part and should be squashed like a bug at any hint of it. People are allowed to change their mind at any point until they swear in, yes it’s a lot of work for many individuals but tough, that’s the job of the recruiter.

I can assure you that if I ever heard of this happening in the Navy from an applicant I would be on the phone with BUMED in a heartbeat.

Put a note in the application that they previously applied and withdrew and let the selection board decide what that means. The recruiters job is to recruit, they don’t get to be judge and jury as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

“Blacklisting” due to this is poor form on our recruiters part and should be squashed like a bug at any hint of it. People are allowed to change their mind at any point until they swear in, yes it’s a lot of work for many individuals but tough, that’s the job of the recruiter.

I can assure you that if I ever heard of this happening in the Navy from an applicant I would be on the phone with BUMED in a heartbeat.

Put a note in the application that they previously applied and withdrew and let the selection board decide what that means. The recruiters job is to recruit, they don’t get to be judge and jury as well.

I didn't say they couldn't apply but they lose trust in that person if they have already declined once. In a position where it is at least double the amount of applicants to positions, who would take a shot at someone who is on the fence when you have another quality applicant standing right behind them?

who would take a shot at someone who is on the fence when you have another quality applicant standing right behind them?

If they are a better applicant I certainly would. Let’s be honest here for a second, the “double the number of applicants” is a reality that is only played out in numbers and goes out the window real quick when you take into consideration the quality of the applicants. The number of applicants has been driven up by the number of very new, very expensive schools who accept many subpar applicants. These are the same applicants that are being driven to HPSP because they can’t figure out how to pay $50k+ a year in tuition alone.

If someone is a strong applicant and they pull out of the 4 year, you can sure bet I will still press “accept” on that person as a 3 year as long as they are still a strong applicant and the spots are open. I’d rather have someone who was on the fence, but a strong applicant than a poor applicant who is “all in.”

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are a better applicant I certainly would. Let’s be honest here for a second, the “double the number of applicants” is a reality that is only played out in numbers and goes out the window real quick when you take into consideration the quality of the applicants. The number of applicants has been driven up by the number of very new, very expensive schools who accept many subpar applicants. These are the same applicants that are being driven to HPSP because they can’t figure out how to pay $50k+ a year in tuition alone.

If someone is a strong applicant and they pull out of the 4 year, you can sure bet I will still press “accept” on that person as a 3 year as long as they are still a strong applicant and the spots are open. I’d rather have someone who was on the fence, but a strong applicant than a poor applicant who is “all in.”

True, luckily I am not sitting on the board to make those decisions so if they want to apply I help them apply. I think we can agree that the recruiter's job is to help someone apply not make the decision if they can apply.

Update, Vet HPSP has been pushed to a September board and the Dental HPSP is now in October for the 2023 class. This means you want to start working on your packets very soon if interested in those programs. Also MC HPSP can now apply as early as September for the 2023 class.

Has anyone heard back regarding the March boards for Army medical HPSP?

Has anyone heard back regarding the March boards for Army medical HPSP?
Still waiting for the Navy March boards, my recruiter says they’ve been behind...don’t know about Army

This is possibly the WORST advise an Army recruiter can give. I try not to step on the Recruiting Command's toes, but for years and years they have been submitting packages in June, July August and September. Many schools start in the June/July timeframe. It can take anywhere from three weeks to three months for the scroll to come back from Sec Def (depending on his schedule). Add in the possibility of needing a medical or moral waiver, missing documents, documents not signed, not dated correctly and you have the recipe for a very frustrating first military experience.

PLUS we are now dealing with the Direct Commission Course. We can send you before graduate school starts, allowing for BOLC-B between M1 and M2 which is the optimal time. BOLC-B any later while in HPSP is, problematic. BOLC-B after HPSP means reporting to PGY-1 in August instead of June.

Remember, you can't get any scholarship benefits until your packet has been forwarded to the HPSP Student Management Office. It is your best interest to get your recruiter to get your packet in and approved not only so that you get your stipend and tuition paid on time but so that you can fulfill the necessary military training in the optimal timeframe.
Hi,
I am attending MSU COM which goes year round. I will have to do BOLC-B later than M2. Why is reporting to PGY-1 in August rather than June problematic? Would you still consider this problematic if I do military residency(Army)?

Congrats to everyone who received the scholarship. I commissioned into the Air Force a couple weeks ago. Great feeling!

Hi,
I am attending MSU COM which goes year round. I will have to do BOLC-B later than M2. Why is reporting to PGY-1 in August rather than June problematic? Would you still consider this problematic if I do military residency(Army)?

Everyone reports in June, to get oriented, find housing etc., with a start of PGY-1 very late June first week of July, and run continuously for 365 days. The ACGME determines how many of those 365 can be missed (usually something like 5 days for vacation around Christmas).

By reporting in August, you still need to report in, get oriented, find housing etc. So, you will start PGY-1 two months behind your peers, and graduate two months behind them. Which means you start PGY-2 two months late and so on. So, eventually your peers will start receiving bonuses that you will not get until 60 days later.

Hi,

Yes, it will be problematic. One reason that people forget is that internship and residency are evaluated evolutions and you will be constantly compared against your peers. When they are all on their third month of rotations you would be on your first and it will be human nature for your evaluators to forget it is your first. So as your co-interns are getting to that high speed level you are just trying to figure out how to write insulin orders. Because it takes you longer and your presentations are on the “first month intern” level people naturally assume your medical knowledge is suspect. You will quickly find yourself under the microscope unless you are an above average intern that is able to quickly adapt and overcome. The first impression you present will live on throughout the rest of residency.

Beyond that there are also the already mentioned logistical and money issues.

Hi,

You may want to see if your school will give you an exception. We have other full time schools that will give the student credits for BOLC, it is a contracted requirement. I am sure they have run into this before.

You may want to see if your school will give you an exception. We have other full time schools that will give the student credits for BOLC, it is a contracted requirement. I am sure they have run into this before.
Thank you for the advice!

Do they do reviews by state or at a national level?? Still waiting to hear back from Naval April review :(

Does anyone know how they inform you if you received the scholarship? (Email, phone call, letter, etc.) I'm already accepted to a school, have great grades, and a 500+ on the MCAT. However, one subsection of my MCAT is a 123, so my recruiter said they are starting to approve waivers for that sort of thing now. I'm just wondering when I'll be approved/when I will/how I will find out if I got the scholarship.

Does anyone know how they inform you if you received the scholarship? (Email, phone call, letter, etc.) I'm already accepted to a school, have great grades, and a 500+ on the MCAT. However, one subsection of my MCAT is a 123, so my recruiter said they are starting to approve waivers for that sort of thing now. I'm just wondering when I'll be approved/when I will/how I will find out if I got the scholarship.
Your recruiter should know

Hi! I’m a med school applicant for this year, I was wondering when was a good time to apply for this scholarship? Should I apply for it before I get any interviews or is it better to apply after I have gotten an acceptance to a medical school. My amcas application will be submitted on the 31st so I was just wondering when would be a good time. Thank you!

Hi! I’m a med school applicant for this year, I was wondering when was a good time to apply for this scholarship? Should I apply for it before I get any interviews or is it better to apply after I have gotten an acceptance to a medical school. My amcas application will be submitted on the 31st so I was just wondering when would be a good time. Thank you!

Apply as soon as you can. As long as you’ve already taken the mcat you should be good to go with applying. You want to apply before everyone else, makes the process far easier and quicker.

Apply as soon as you can. As long as you’ve already taken the mcat you should be good to go with applying. You want to apply before everyone else, makes the process far easier and quicker.

Okay! Thank you!

I start school next week and was approved for the scholarship late March. Still waiting to be commissioned. I went ahead and accepted financial aid for the school year, but was wondering if I should fill out the scholarship reporting form for my school and adjust my loan amount accordingly? I tried to get ahold of my recruiter but he's been kinda MIA lately.

Let the school know about the scholarship, but also let them know that you have not received any of the benefits yet, and that right now they cannot invoice the Army for your tuition. Loaning out the entire year may be/probably is a bit of overkill. I normally tell the students to loan out the first semester. That way, once the scholarship kicks in, the school will invoice the Army for the entire semester, and once the Contracting Office releases the money to the school, they will either cut you a check, or credit your student account. Then if you so wish, you can pay off the loan with little or no interest.

You are good to apply now, I am working four applicants now in your class and most are done with their packets already. Let me know if you need help finding a recruiter!