HPSP class of 2022 (Medical, Dental, Optometry, Clinical Psych, Veterinary)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why are you applying?

• Total voters

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a thread for those who are applying to HPSP for the next cycle. Feel free to share info or ask questions. I will try and keep updated numbers, stats or anything that will help you apply. I can also help you find a good healthcare recruiter if you are applying Army. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a template for the actually HPSP application? I just went through MEPS

Is there a template for the actually HPSP application? I just went through MEPS

Yes, your recruiter will have the application and a list of all the paperwork you need to get to apply. Are you working with a healthcare recruiter already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an active duty medic in the army with less than 2 years left in my contract, how do i get released from active duty to attend medical school via the mdssp route

I'm an active duty medic in the army with less than 2 years left in my contract, how do i get released from active duty to attend medical school via the mdssp route

You would have to get a conditional release 4187 from your branch. I would get that first before starting to apply for medical school because the last thing you want to happen is use your resources on apps and travel only to find out they won't release you from your contract. Feel free to PM me if you want my phone number to help you get a 4187.

Last edited:
I'm about to start my second year in a clinical psych Ph.D. program. I learned about HPSP a bit late during my first year so I missed the application boat, but I believe there's some leeway for second years to still apply. From my understanding, Clinical Psych HPSP slots are for people that have 3 academic years + 1 year internship still ahead of them, which is my current situation.

I'm going the Navy route. My medical recruiter has told me that they won't know how many slots/applications they're taking until Oct. 2017, but I feel like I'm just sitting on my hands until then, which is frustrating since I know the application process takes a few months.

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do while I wait?

I'm about to start my second year in a clinical psych Ph.D. program. I learned about HPSP a bit late during my first year so I missed the application boat, but I believe there's some leeway for second years to still apply. From my understanding, Clinical Psych HPSP slots are for people that have 3 academic years + 1 year internship still ahead of them, which is my current situation.

I'm going the Navy route. My medical recruiter has told me that they won't know how many slots/applications they're taking until Oct. 2017, but I feel like I'm just sitting on my hands until then, which is frustrating since I know the application process takes a few months.

Anyone have any ideas for what I can do while I wait?

On the Army side we do the same thing and we also have 1 year slots (about 6 of them)
I would have already been putting together your packet. We need 3-5 letters of recommendation, your personal statement, the physical could be scheduled since it is good for two years, also they could start collecting your source documents like birth certificate, SSN card, Transcripts..etc. Not sure if they require the same stuff in the Navy. Anyone in a student program I capitalize on the summer since I know that is when you have the most time.

On the Army side we do the same thing and we also have 1 year slots (about 6 of them)
I would have already been putting together your packet. We need 3-5 letters of recommendation, your personal statement, the physical could be scheduled since it is good for two years, also they could start collecting your source documents like birth certificate, SSN card, Transcripts..etc. Not sure if they require the same stuff in the Navy. Anyone in a student program I capitalize on the summer since I know that is when you have the most time.

Out of curiosity, what is the organizational structure for the Army's psychologists? Are they placed in a separate branch (e.g. the Medical Corps for the Navy)? Also as far as training goes, do they go through standard officer training or is there something in place for less combat-oriented roles (lawyers/doctors/chaplains etc...).

Thanks!

For the Army you are placed in the Medical Service Corps (73B). You would attend the Army Medical Department Basic Officer's Leaders Course. If you search AMEDD BOLC on Youtube they have videos of the last class that went through.

Don't forget, BOLC is in addition to the four week DCC for anyone who commissions after 1 Oct 2016...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, I appreciate the extra info. Do you happen to know how the HPSP slots are split up? I could see them being divvied up by branch, field, cost, current needs, etc..., so I'd be curious to know what determines how many applications can be accepted.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the extra info. Do you happen to know how the HPSP slots are split up? I could see them being divvied up by branch, field, cost, current needs, etc..., so I'd be curious to know what determines how many applications can be accepted.

Thanks again.

Just realized this question was for clinical Psych HPSP, for Army it is 2 two year scholarships and 6 one year scholarships. It changes year to year but it will be close to that number.

Last edited:
Hi all, I've already applied to dental school for this 2017-2018 cycle and I'm interested in the navy. I know it's kind of late, but I just started talking to a recruiter just to get the facts straight. They got the ball rolling pretty fast, and they want me to send in all my stuff for this year's boards. However, I'm more interested in the 3 year HPSP than the 4 year, and what the recruiter explained to me was that the 3 years are only for the people who apply in March who don't get the scholarship and then get supported by the Bureau of Medicine. Should I tell my recruiter I'm more interested in the 3 year program? Should I just apply in March 2018? If I apply in March does that decrease my chance of getting any scholarship? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I've already applied to dental school for this 2017-2018 cycle and I'm interested in the navy. I know it's kind of late, but I just started talking to a recruiter just to get the facts straight. They got the ball rolling pretty fast, and they want me to send in all my stuff for this year's boards. However, I'm more interested in the 3 year HPSP than the 4 year, and what the recruiter explained to me was that the 3 years are only for the people who apply in March who don't get the scholarship and then get supported by the Bureau of Medicine. Should I tell my recruiter I'm more interested in the 3 year program? Should I just apply in March 2018? If I apply in March does that decrease my chance of getting any scholarship? Thanks for any advice.

As I am only a Army recruiter I can only tell you how ours works on our side. If you want to apply for the 3 year you would just wait until between your first and second year and we would board you then. Everyone on our side has to re board regardless if they were wait listed for the four year scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the requirements for Navy and Air Force MCAT scores-- both overall and for each subsection? Thank you in advanced for your help.

Hi Everyone, I’m currently in the process of applying for the naval HPSP. My physical and interviews are scheduled in a couple weeks. I’ve completed the main online paperwork and background checks. My recruiter told me I probably won’t be able to submit my packet until the Feb 1 board (she said the Jan 1 board needs everything submitted by Dec 15). What are my handed of getting the scholarship? I feel like I’m super late and didn’t realize how competitive it was. My gpa is 3.9 and DAT is 22. Thanks!

Hi Everyone, I’m currently in the process of applying for the naval HPSP. My physical and interviews are scheduled in a couple weeks. I’ve completed the main online paperwork and background checks. My recruiter told me I probably won’t be able to submit my packet until the Feb 1 board (she said the Jan 1 board needs everything submitted by Dec 15). What are my handed of getting the scholarship? I feel like I’m super late and didn’t realize how competitive it was. My gpa is 3.9 and DAT is 22. Thanks!

I am not sure about how competitive the Navy one is but for the Army you would be in big trouble. The board for us is 23 January we have 53 slots and usually board 120-150 applicants each year. You would be on the outside looking in for us for sure. Your best bet is you will get selected but put on the order of merit list where they rank you not based on when you board but your stats/what school you got in etc. So if anyone declines you will hopefully be towards the top of that list. Our deadline is 9 January, if you already have a completed physical and the rest of your documents you may want to build a packet with the Army to have double the chances. Just a thought. Also no interviews required for Army so you can get it all done within a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know the requirements for Navy and Air Force MCAT scores-- both overall and for each subsection? Thank you in advanced for your help.
Not sure about Navy. I believe Air Force Mcat is no lower than a 123 in each subsection with a 494 overall. I believe automatic acceptance (matrix applicants) need a 504 (don’t quote me on that) to avoid interviews/references/board selection.

Also, word of advice. Always apply early (if you’re on time, you’re late.) The hpsp process is long and tidious, and scroll approval can last months. I was fortunate enough to have an automatic acceptance and had my scroll approved this month. Don’t wait till the last minute and have to worry about paying for your professional school by yourself.

I recently talked to a recruiter about the army HPSP. He said that over the past 5 years, they have not filled all of the med school scholarships. I need to lose weight before I actually apply and he said that as long as I submit by june I should be able to get everything approved by the time school starts.

I recently talked to a recruiter about the army HPSP. He said that over the past 5 years, they have not filled all of the med school scholarships. I need to lose weight before I actually apply and he said that as long as I submit by june I should be able to get everything approved by the time school starts.
I would start as soon as you can. You may be able to squeeze in, but you don’t want to wait until the very end. It’ll make it much more difficult having to worry about whether your funds will come in on time.

I would start as soon as you can. You may be able to squeeze in, but you don’t want to wait until the very end. It’ll make it much more difficult having to worry about whether your funds will come in on time.
For sure. I started working out and eating better this week. Once I get down to the weight I will apply, but I can't apply until I can make the physical standards.

he said that as long as I submit by june I should be able to get everything approved by the time school starts.

This is possibly the WORST advice an Army recruiter can give. I try not to step on the Recruiting Command's toes, but for years and years they have been submitting packages in June, July August and September. Many schools start in the June/July timeframe. It can take anywhere from three weeks to three months for the scroll to come back from Sec Def (depending on his schedule). Add in the possibility of needing a medical or moral waiver, missing documents, documents not signed, not dated correctly and you have the recipe for a very frustrating first military experience.

PLUS we are now dealing with the Direct Commission Course. We can send you before graduate school starts, allowing for BOLC-B between M1 and M2 which is the optimal time. BOLC-B any later while in HPSP is, problematic. BOLC-B after HPSP means reporting to PGY-1 in August instead of June.

Remember, you can't get any scholarship benefits until your packet has been forwarded to the HPSP Student Management Office. It is your best interest to get your recruiter to get your packet in and approved not only so that you get your stipend and tuition paid on time but so that you can fulfill the necessary military training in the optimal timeframe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is possibly the WORST advise an Army recruiter can give. I try not to step on the Recruiting Command's toes, but for years and years they have been submitting packages in June, July August and September. Many schools start in the June/July timeframe. It can take anywhere from three weeks to three months for the scroll to come back from Sec Def (depending on his schedule). Add in the possibility of needing a medical or moral waiver, missing documents, documents not signed, not dated correctly and you have the recipe for a very frustrating first military experience.

PLUS we are now dealing with the Direct Commission Course. We can send you before graduate school starts, allowing for BOLC-B between M1 and M2 which is the optimal time. BOLC-B any later while in HPSP is, problematic. BOLC-B after HPSP means reporting to PGY-1 in August instead of June.

Remember, you can't get any scholarship benefits until your packet has been forwarded to the HPSP Student Management Office. It is your best interest to get your recruiter to get your packet in and approved not only so that you get your stipend and tuition paid on time but so that you can fulfill the necessary military training in the optimal timeframe.
I appreciate the advice! I have to meet the physical requirements of the army before submitting the packet though right?

I appreciate the advice! I have to meet the physical requirements of the army before submitting the packet though right?
I literally just did MEPS Tuesday (Navy). You don’t have to be at weight until MEPS this is the first time they actually take your weight and look at the standard required., I started the process in October and did MEPS in December so about 8 weeks. Absolutely start the process now because there’s a long checklist including getting LORs. Start the process and have your recruiter schedule you for MEPS In maybe March/April so you can lose some weight.

I literally just did MEPS Tuesday (Navy). You don’t have to be at weight until MEPS this is the first time they actually take your weight and look at the standard required., I started the process in October and did MEPS in December so about 8 weeks. Absolutely start the process now because there’s a long checklist including getting LORs. Start the process and have your recruiter schedule you for MEPS In maybe March/April so you can lose some weight.
I agree. The whole process took me from August until December. And that was early and as an automatic acceptance so it’ll take longer for most of the people.

We filled them last year in June. Not sure why the recruiter would tell you that. @USArmyHPSP is right, it is very important to get the process moving, especially since they now require DCC and most applicants this year are trying to go before they start their first year of medical school.

any Navy recruiter here? I heard there is only one national position for HSCP for 2021 this year for medical and it has been filled. Is there a possibility that they might add another one? Has that ever happened? I know what HPSP is, and my packet is ready, and I am done with meps, but b/c of my financial situation, it makes for sense for me to take HSCP than HPSP.

What is DCC? I'm currently being boarded for Jan 9, do you think i would be compete in time?

Direct Commission Course, you should have no issues getting enrolled to attend in May-June. Just keep pressuring your recruiter so they don't forget about you.

Direct Commission Course, you should have no issues getting enrolled to attend in May-June. Just keep pressuring your recruiter so they don't forget about you.
So what are my chances of being offered the medical scholarship? My recruiter said he won't know results until about 3 weeks post-board. Just curious how many scholarships there are left.

Question for everybody. I applied for the 2022 cycle for Navy dental, and am on the January board likely to hear back in the next few weeks (or so I was told). I got a call last week from a background investigator to do my security clearance interview, but after going through threads here it sounds like you're only supposed to be interviewed after the official acceptance.

Has anybody else had this happen, or is it a typical procedure in that order? I know security clearances are expensive so I figured they would only do it for those they extended the scholarship to.

So what are my chances of being offered the medical scholarship? My recruiter said he won't know results until about 3 weeks post-board. Just curious how many scholarships there are left.

Because you are applying early you have a very good shot at getting it. It is those who wait until May to start applying who usually get left out.

You can start your packet before making physical requirements, but you'll have to either make tape for body fat % requirements or weight.

Where you at right now and how much do you have to lose?

I started the process for commissioning and was at 31% body fat percentage. I got down to 22% in about 3 months with lots of healthy eating and working out like crazy. They can't schedule you at MEPS until you are at the body fat % or weight, but at least you will have all your paperwork rolling which takes awhile. You can hit up a local Army recruiter to get taped for your body fat % while you are working towards your weight and doing paperwork. Just don't go to MEPS and fail the tape test. Depending how far over you are determines how long you have to wait before you can go back for your recheck.

You can start your packet before making physical requirements, but you'll have to either make tape for body fat % requirements or weight.

Where you at right now and how much do you have to lose?

I started the process for commissioning and was at 31% body fat percentage. I got down to 22% in about 3 months with lots of healthy eating and working out like crazy. They can't schedule you at MEPS until you are at the body fat % or weight, but at least you will have all your paperwork rolling which takes awhile. You can hit up a local Army recruiter to get taped for your body fat % while you are working towards your weight and doing paperwork. Just don't go to MEPS and fail the tape test. Depending how far over you are determines how long you have to wait before you can go back for your recheck.

I started at 317 four weeks ago and I'm at 299 today. I measured myself a couple of days ago and was at 51 in abdomem and 19 in neck. For my age and height, I have to lose 10 inches in my abdomen. The nutrionist that I met with said I have to get down to about 238 to be at 22% body fat.

I started at 317 four weeks ago and I'm at 299 today. I measured myself a couple of days ago and was at 51 in abdomem and 19 in neck. For my age and height, I have to lose 10 inches in my abdomen. The nutrionist that I met with said I have to get down to about 238 to be at 22% body fat.
Unfortunately, that is a lot of weight to lose quickly. Plus, if you do lose the weight, you still have to pass basic training PT test. I recommend maybe taking a year to diet and exercise and take a 3 year scholarship as opposed to a 4 year.

Last edited:
Because the key is always to excel. Not just meet the minimum. But you can always prove me wrong! I wish you the best of luck!

I agree with the others that is a huge amount of weight to lose. Just to illustrate it. I started the process of speaking with a recruiter in 2014. I weighed 315 and had a 48 inch abdomen and 19 inch neck. It took me almost a year to get down to 265 lbs. Then it took me about 3 months to go from 255 lbs to 216 lbs. The main problem I had was even after losing all that weight, I lost it quickly so I had a lot of loose skin. So even though I was a lot smaller, I had a lot of excess skin around my belly so I kept failing tape. It took a lot of planks, crunches, sit-ups, and running to finally tighten that skin back up and make the body fat % measurements.

So I agree with others you're going to need probably a year or so of heavy exercise, high protein/low carb/low fat diet to get where you need to be.

It can be done. I did it. It wasn't easy, but it's amazing how much better you feel when you drop almost a whole person! Good luck!

Last edited:
Oh and I would suggest make sure you're doing 3 days at least of cardio a week (HIIT high interval intensity training - run full on sprint as fast as you can go for 1 minute, then a comfortable speed for a minute, then spring again, etc. for 30 minutes. This will get your heart rate elevated and burn more calories). I would also lift weights 3 days a week. You don't need to get scwholl or anything, but resistance training will help with the loose skin. Also I did a lot of yoga. Yes it was comical to see my 300+ lbs of fatness doing yoga, but that stuff works! I was amazed how much better my back and core felt after just a couple weeks of yoga. Also a lot of planks (work up to 2 minutes of regular plank and then 2 minutes of side planks) as this will help suck your stomach in as well as the running will help you suck the gut in too.

Don't forget about your neck either. You will be amazed how quick that 19 inch neck will shrink to 17 inches! It's a cruel game for the way the military measures body fat %. It seemed for every 3-4 inches in my abdomen I would lose I would drop .5 to 1.0 inches in my neck making progress be 0 and was extremely frustrating! I would suggest getting a neck harness (amazon sells some good ones) and start with 10 lbs on it doing 20-30 slow control extensions up and down and work your way up to heavier weight and also do the same with neck sideways extensions. Pull ups, dips, and shrugs will also help your neck stay big and buff to increase your neck to abdomen ratio for the body fat % measurements.

Reactions: 2 users
This guy sounds like he knows what he’s talking about lol

This guy sounds like he knows what he’s talking about lol

When you go see the local recruiter to do your measurements they can give you some pointers on how to stand, place your shoulders, etc. to hide some of the inches too.

Unfortunately, that is a lot of weight to lose quickly. Plus, if you do lose the weight, you still have to pass basic training PT test. I recommend maybe taking a year to diet and exercise and take a 3 year scholarship as opposed to a 4 year.
I agree with the others that is a huge amount of weight to lose. Just to illustrate it. I started the process of speaking with a recruiter in 2014. I weighed 315 and had a 48 inch abdomen and 19 inch neck. It took me almost a year to get down to 265 lbs. Then it took me about 3 months to go from 255 lbs to 216 lbs. The main problem I had was even after losing all that weight, I lost it quickly so I had a lot of loose skin. So even though I was a lot smaller, I had a lot of excess skin around my belly so I kept failing tape. It took a lot of planks, crunches, sit-ups, and running to finally tighten that skin back up and make the body fat % measurements.

So I agree with others you're going to need probably a year or so of heavy exercise, high protein/low carb/low fat diet to get where you need to be.

It can be done. I did it. It wasn't easy, but it's amazing how much better you feel when you drop almost a whole person! Good luck!

For sure. Thanks both of y'all for the information and suggestions. I have been doing the couch to 5k for running and I go to a place that offers hour long HIIT classes with core/weight/cardio training. I'm going to see how my weight loss continues and take it from there. I'm not eating at caloric deficit extremes, just letting my progress happen. If I don't hit the goal and have to do the 3 year, that is fine with me. I have gone on this journey before and unfortunately let time constraints lose my progress. I had gone from 340 down to 265 2 years ago, but I gained most of it back.

For sure. Thanks both of y'all for the information and suggestions. I have been doing the couch to 5k for running and I go to a place that offers hour long HIIT classes with core/weight/cardio training. I'm going to see how my weight loss continues and take it from there. I'm not eating at caloric deficit extremes, just letting my progress happen. If I don't hit the goal and have to do the 3 year, that is fine with me. I have gone on this journey before and unfortunately let time constraints lose my progress. I had gone from 340 down to 265 2 years ago, but I gained most of it back.

It all comes down to how bad you want it and how far you're willing to go. Awesome job on losing the weight before. Every journey starts with that initial step. Just keep eating right, exercising right, and drinking water (I drink literally 2 gallons a day. Chug that stuff!) to flush fat out of your system. Good luck man!

Will mild exercise induced asthma keep me out? I haven't needed steroids, a control, or a rescue inhaler in a long time. The only thing is that I feel slight shortness of breath and a cough with deep breath after a cardio/HIIT workout.

Will mild exercise induced asthma keep me out? I haven't needed steroids, a control, or a rescue inhaler in a long time. The only thing is that I feel slight shortness of breath and a cough with deep breath after a cardio/HIIT workout.
Usually, I believe it is an automatic DQ. But, if you pass a pulmonary function test they may dismiss it. Especially if it was diagnosed at a very young age

Hard to say, I have had applicants that have been denied and also ones that have been granted a waiver for asthma. Just depends on history, current medications and the PFT results. I would for sure get a physical done before you go to far into the application process though.

Anyone hear that only 3 years veterinary HPSP are being offered currently?