HPSP Army Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds2025

Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to get into my top dental school. After receiving admission just a couple weeks ago, I immediately felt so much relief!

Sadly, I recently found out that I have been placed on the waitlist/OML for the US Army HPSP. My recruiter believes the reason was that my acceptance letter came shortly after the board convened so they were not able to include it as part of my application. Overall, I am still really happy to have gotten my top choice school and will go forward with taking out the $150,000+ in loans for D1.

Does anyone have any insight on being waitlisted for the HPSP Army or other branches? Is there a typical time period where I can expect to hear back if a few people do drop off the program? I am really hoping to hear back with some good news but I understand that is not something to count on given that the program is highly competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the oml too but my recruiter did mention that they can pull from it through October and those selected have until July to accept the offer.

I have been fortunate enough to get into my top dental school. After receiving admission just a couple weeks ago, I immediately felt so much relief!

Sadly, I recently found out that I have been placed on the waitlist/OML for the US Army HPSP. My recruiter believes the reason was that my acceptance letter came shortly after the board convened so they were not able to include it as part of my application. Overall, I am still really happy to have gotten my top choice school and will go forward with taking out the $150,000+ in loans for D1.

Does anyone have any insight on being waitlisted for the HPSP Army or other branches? Is there a typical time period where I can expect to hear back if a few people do drop off the program? I am really hoping to hear back with some good news but I understand that is not something to count on given that the program is highly competitive.
Sincere question...Why is the cost of attendance of your top school going to cost 150k+ just for D1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sincere question...Why is the cost of attendance of your top school going to cost 150k+ just for D1?
its USC or NYU. I have a friend at USC and they decided to max out loans (cuz what difference is it spending $135k vs $150k at that point - is their reasoning). It's a "top choice" probably because they have low stats and it is their only acceptance

Hope you get off the OML soon.. Did you apply to other branches as well?

Congrats on the acceptance but boyy $600k loans for 4 years is astronomical.

Apply for the NHSC scholarship program too. Thats what I have and I also attend a school that 150k+ a year. The application cycle opens up around April or May.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about the dental side, but on the HPSP side, the OML list moves, and people on the list can get the scholarship. The HPSP Board meets (I think) monthly through October, as Predentthrowaway0110 mentioned, and the Board can approve people from the OML list for the scholarship every time it meets. Also, if you don't get the HPSP scholarship this year, you should be able to apply again next year for a three year scholarship, with a concomitant decrease in your service commitment. Good luck! I hope you get the HPSP scholarship!

Reactions: 1 user