How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Have some random scores and basically no idea what to expect:

UWSA 1 (Taken in March): 200
UWSA2 (One week into dedicated 6 weeks studying): 220
DIT Pred. Exam: 220
NBME 11: 200
NBME 12 (Taken the day after NBME 11): 219

UW %: 65% @ 70% finished.

Took NBME 12 a week ago and have been going through my final pass of FA ever since. Hoping I can somehow pull off a 220+. Test on 6/24.

:xf:

5/28 NBME6: 250
6/4 UWSA1: 257
6/11 UWSA2: 265
6/15 NBME 11: 261
6/17 NBME 12: 257

UWorld 79%

Test on 6/22. Started dedicated study on 5/6, 12 hours/day 6 days/week. Just finished getting through First Aid this week, and working on my last comb through now. I was hoping to take the day before completely off, but I'm a little behind on this last pass already so I will most likely do a half day.

I. Can't. Wait. To. Be. Done. With. This.

Don't think you're going to cut it man. Drop out while you still can ;)

How long have you been studying? What have you been doing? What is your goal score?

I finished DIT, FA+RR Path++uwqbank. My goal score is 180> :oops:. My uworld qbank average is 78% with 2%unused questions. I am just hoping to pass this exam. I have been studying for 5 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my progress so far: For the record, below - average osteopathic student. lazier than most others on here, really had to psyche myself out to study for this test..took the comlex and did average last summer, was too lazy to study for the step 1 at the time. Am applying to residencies this fall and decided to take step 1 and step 2 this summer to augment my chances of matching specialty of choice.

UWSA 1 : 216 ( 8 weeks out, after first run of FA and having read most of goljan throughout the year, along with some other books for my shelf exams. done with first run of uworld, 62% average )

NBME 6 : 440 / 207 ( wtf? 6 weeks out. If i remember correctly was about 75% or so correct. After 2 weeks of studying, pretty annoyed. About half done with second run of UWorld with a 80% average )

NBME 5: 520 / 226 ( 4 weeks out. Just after internal medicine shelf exam. Finished second run of Uworld with 81%, Started UsmleRx and finished roughly 50% with predictive score of 238, read HY cell bio and rapid review biochem cover to cover. This wasn't with expanded feedback so not sure how many i got wrong )

NBME 11: 640/256 - 15 wrong - (Test is in 2 weeks. Pretty happy. To be honest, i did flip back to my notes to check on a few answers I was iffy about and remember some equations, but i ended up getting most of these wrong anyways, so i'd say inflation from having my notes around is 10 points or so tops. Felt most of the questions were straightforward..so surprised how many questions are step 2 /clinically oriented, wouldn't know them if i hadn't seen it on rotations. )

NBME 12: will take in 5 days

NBME 7 : will take 1 week out. Supposed to be an ego booster and closest to real thing from what i hear.

keep in mind i've been studying a few hours here and there for step 2, have taken all my shelf exams and done fairly well, and have already learned most of this stuff last summer for the comlex..so i guess it's a lot of review. that being said i'd be happy with anything over a 220. Surprised with the gains i made from nbme 5 to nbme 11 but i'd say i've mastered uworld and FA at this point , am just reviewing and doing 100-200 questions a day now.

Last edited:
So I guess form 11 overestimates...by a lot?

I don't know. based on my qbank percentages and other assessments, my nbme 6 made absolutely no sense in the scheme of things. it just seems to be an outlier for some people. I don't think nbme 11 over estimates by much..i only missed 15 out of 4 blocks to score in the 250's and i wouldn't say it was an easy test ( like nbme 5 / uwsa 2 ) by any means.

I finished DIT, FA+RR Path++uwqbank. My goal score is 180> :oops:. My uworld qbank average is 78% with 2%unused questions. I am just hoping to pass this exam. I have been studying for 5 weeks.

Thats a huge discrepancy between your uworld average and what you're actually scoring on NBMEs. Do you have any issues with test taking? Based on what you've done in your studying and your (very good) UWorld scores, you should be rollin'.

UWSA1: 195 (pre-studying)
NBME 6: 226 (5/31)
NBME 7: 254 (6/19)
NBME 11: 235 (6/19)

......not sure what to make of the 20 point difference between 11 and 7 one the same day. I did do nbme 11 2nd and felt tired/pressed for time. (edit: I just checked and I missed the same amount in set#3 of nbme 11 as I did in all of nbme 7....wtfff)

What do you guys think? should I just average the two scores?

does anyone know of a good review for genetics? it continues to be a weakness and even going through UW hasn't helped.

NBME 11 (month ago): 224
UWA1 (2 weeks ago): 236
NBME 5 (today): 228

Exam in under 4 weeks, initial goal was 240. might be happy right now with a 230. I've read F.A. several times, trying to work on my weaknesses which don't like to stick in my head. finished UW with a 72%. So frustrated :(

just took UWSA#2 tonight/early AM: 700/256 , a week out from my exam (last week of the month). I'm not sure...should I feel relieved or freak out? some say UW assessments overestimate, some say under. sadface. I'm still kind of hopeful.

I changed up my studies over the last 2 weeks or so and per suggestion from SDNers, made flash cards of most of my weaknesses in F.A. and have gone through most of them. I also read the blue margins in Goljan RR over the last few days and got the 2 week free trial of Gunner Training (questions only -- was curious after reading so much about it on the exam experiences thread) and I think all that also helped a lot (mayhaps?). I felt a lot better taking this UW assessment. or maybe it was the 5 hour energy I took that's kept me up at 3:30 am... anyway, I'm going to take NBMEs 6 and 7 later this week. fingers crossed. :)

I'm taking a practice test at the prometric center in a few days. I have bad test anxiety so I figured this will help me get use to the center/environment and see if my 5 hour energy will continue to be awesome during an 8:30am exam ;) I hear it's the same thing as the free 150 (well not so free in this case)...is that true?

and thanks to those who gave advice/suggestions earlier! really helped, i think (/hope) :D

Thats a huge discrepancy between your uworld average and what you're actually scoring on NBMEs. Do you have any issues with test taking? Based on what you've done in your studying and your (very good) UWorld scores, you should be rollin'.

Thanks for motivations really appreciate it. I have no idea myself how i am doing good in uworld questions and barely passing nbme's. I will be ripping FA like crazy :D .I have 1 more NBME voucher from school you think i should take nbme 11 or not ?

Hi folks,

Thought I'd throw in my scores since my exam is this Friday (6/24):
Began studying May 9. Did 2 blocks Uworld/day (random, timed) along with subject reviews for 1-3 days each, depending on how much I felt I needed to study each topic. Resources were mostly FA, RR, and some BRS Phys.

UWSA 1 (5/27): 232
NBME 7 (6/3): 224
UWSA 2 (6/11): 252
NBME 12 (6/14): 235
Free 150 (today, 6/20): 92% (medfriends gives 264 but I know better than to trust that!)

I finished UWorld on 6/10, final average 60%. I reset the entire bank and have been doing 6 blocks/day since, and my current cumulative average is 80% with ~500 questions to go before Friday. Obviously I learned a lot the first time through, and can now fly through a lot of the "buzzword" questions and spend more time on the questions that make you think.

So, I think I have a shot at scoring 240+, though I do wish my NBME 12 score was a bit higher. I'm not planning on taking any more NBMEs; just gonna finish up UWorld, run through some flash cards, and spend the next 3 days memorizing those stupid details in FA.

Good luck to all of you who are taking the exam this week! I, for one, am looking forward to a nice cold beer when it's all over. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UWSA1: 195 (pre-studying)
NBME 6: 226 (5/31)
NBME 7: 254 (6/19)
NBME 11: 235 (6/19)

......not sure what to make of the 20 point difference between 11 and 7 one the same day. I did do nbme 11 2nd and felt tired/pressed for time. (edit: I just checked and I missed the same amount in set#3 of nbme 11 as I did in all of nbme 7....wtfff)

What do you guys think? should I just average the two scores?

I would anticipate scoring closer to the lower score. I scored in the 250's on nbme 11 and did significantly lower on my other assessments, and am expecting a score more in the 220's or low 230's as opposed to a 250. it's always safer to assume a very high score in a set of more average scores may be an outlier - that way if you kick ***** on the real thing it's a pleasant surprise, and if you don't, you won't be as disappointed.

Well took NBME 11 last night. Doing much better and feeling a bit more confident going into this last week.

NBME 1 218 (prestudying)
NBME 2 205 ( no freakin clue what this was about)
NBME 6 228
NBME 7 247
NBME 11 254

Heres to hoping the trend continues.

I would anticipate scoring closer to the lower score. I scored in the 250's on nbme 11 and did significantly lower on my other assessments, and am expecting a score more in the 220's or low 230's as opposed to a 250. it's always safer to assume a very high score in a set of more average scores may be an outlier - that way if you kick ***** on the real thing it's a pleasant surprise, and if you don't, you won't be as disappointed.

yea it's probably better to assume lower. I'm hoping for 240+ so 235 isn't too far

Last edited:
I took NBME 6 today and got a similar score. This is several weeks after getting a 230 on NBME 11. I am two days out from my exam X_X.

At least I will probably pass?

Good Luck on your step1, i am sure you will kill the exam. I have similar scores to yours at least nbme7, will be taking nbme 11 on 27th, my exam is on july 7th and i hope i pass :bang:

ummm i dunno if anyone else agrees, but i though NBME 11 was horrible. Both of the UWSA's put me in the 260s, and #11 barely put me into 240 (granted that the UWSA's overestimate). and then browsing through the q's people are posting in the NMBE 12 thread, it just seems like the NBME's are really hard. My average in UWorld is around 76%, consistently scoring in the 80s and even 90s in the last blocks.

Am i the only one who feels this way?? my exam's this week so i dont plan to do any more NBME's, and im just scared the real thing is gonna rock me off my high expectations...

No Studying: 210 NBME school administered.
6.5 Weeks out: 214 NBME 3
5 Weeks out: 240 Free 150 NBME.
5 Weeks out: 235 UWSA1
3.5 Weeks out: 220 NBME 6 (Today)

Man, for me NBME 6 sections 1 and 2 were freaking brutal. I missed more than 10 q's on each of those sections (ugh). After a lunch break (20 min, tried to stimulate a real exam), I took sections 3 and 4, and missed 5-6 on each of them. I think it might be that I was a little tired in the morning and not in the "zone".

Regardless 220 is a 220. Do you guys think it's possible to hit 240+ at this point? I am starting DIT tomorrow, plus a second run through UWORLD, leaving about 4-5 days to fully run through FA before the exam.

I had a question about how the percentages correct on the UWSAs correlate with the predicted 3 number scores. Like I remember taking my UWSA1 back in March and I got a 74% which translated to a 248, then I took UWSA2 recently and got a 93.5% which was an 800/265. But does anyone know what the lowest percent you can get and still score a predicted 265 is? Not that this is particularly important or anything, I was just wondering.

ummm i dunno if anyone else agrees, but i though NBME 11 was horrible. Both of the UWSA's put me in the 260s, and #11 barely put me into 240 (granted that the UWSA's overestimate). and then browsing through the q's people are posting in the NMBE 12 thread, it just seems like the NBME's are really hard. My average in UWorld is around 76%, consistently scoring in the 80s and even 90s in the last blocks.

Am i the only one who feels this way?? my exam's this week so i dont plan to do any more NBME's, and im just scared the real thing is gonna rock me off my high expectations...

I feel the same. Same uworld average of 76% with many in the 80s. I thought nbme 11 was difficult as well but I don't know how it compares to the real thing.

We all have our unique experiences. My NBME 12 and UWSA 2 were both really close to each other in the score estimate department.

noob1,

With regard to your mentioned score discrepancy between NBME 11 and the others you've taken, is there evidence that 11 over-predicts? Has anyone else also found this to be true?

I wouldn't say it overpredicts..I'm a firm believer that there are certainly some forms that cater better to some people's knowledge...ie, some people rock out nbme 6 and bomb nbme 11 or vice versa, so maybe that plays a role.

in my opinion, I think nbme 11 is a fairly hard test with a pretty tough curve..for me personally , I think i took it right when i started to 'peak' and everything came together so i scored my highest on it. i can't explain what happened to me on nbme 6, maybe just an off day. a lot of dumb mistakes in hind sight , and it was my first NBME ( i think UW tests are too easy so i don't even count those ). I gained roughly 25 points every 2 weeks of studying from nbme to nbme which i would say isn't unheard of when you're putting in 12 hours a day...so yeah, long story short, i don't think it overpredicts..it's a pretty tough curve actually.

No Studying: 210 NBME school administered.
6.5 Weeks out: 214 NBME 3
5 Weeks out: 240 Free 150 NBME.
5 Weeks out: 235 UWSA1
3.5 Weeks out: 220 NBME 6 (Today)

Man, for me NBME 6 sections 1 and 2 were freaking brutal. I missed more than 10 q's on each of those sections (ugh). After a lunch break (20 min, tried to stimulate a real exam), I took sections 3 and 4, and missed 5-6 on each of them. I think it might be that I was a little tired in the morning and not in the "zone".

Regardless 220 is a 220. Do you guys think it's possible to hit 240+ at this point? I am starting DIT tomorrow, plus a second run through UWORLD, leaving about 4-5 days to fully run through FA before the exam.

I thought nbme 6 was ridiculous. I went form a 207 on that to a 224 on nbme 5 and then a 254 on nbme 11 in 4 weeks so i think you'll be fine.

~5 weeks out - NBME 6 - 189
~4 weeks out - NBME 12 - 214
Today (2 weeks out) - NBME 11 - 245

Is NBME 11 supposed to be an easy one?

I still have 2 weeks until my test. Considering moving it up (goal 230+). Based on UW avg (64% random 46 timed) I'm barely there.

~5 weeks out - NBME 6 - 189
~4 weeks out - NBME 12 - 214
Today (2 weeks out) - NBME 11 - 245

Is NBME 11 supposed to be an easy one?

I still have 2 weeks until my test. Considering moving it up (goal 230+). Based on UW avg (64% random 46 timed) I'm barely there.

Well a 214 seems awfully low for a 64% on uworld and a 245 seems pretty high. you're probably somewhere in the middle, is my guess.

Well a 214 seems awfully low for a 64% on uworld and a 245 seems pretty high. you're probably somewhere in the middle, is my guess.
Yeah idk 6 and 12 could just be because I wasn't prepared. And 11 just seemed like it had a lot of gimme questions. I'm scared of forgetting basic stuff like that in the next couple weeks.

But then again I could definitely fit in another pass or 2 of FA and finish my UW incorrects.

is there a correlation between the free 150 and the real exam? I took it at the testing center...a week away from my exam. score = 85% (medfriends = 249).

is there a correlation between the free 150 and the real exam? I took it at the testing center...a week away from my exam. score = 85% (medfriends = 249).

Probably some level of correlation if it is consistent with your other practice scores. Looks like you are in good shape.

I scored a 240 on the free 150 about a week and half a ago, with a 235 following on a UWSA1. 2 days ago I took NBME 6 and got slammed with a 220. Now I was slightly fatigued and overlooked over some simple mistakes...but take it as you will.

I think the free 150 overpredicts a little bit, but use it as a confidence booster :)

I scored a 240 on the free 150 about a week and half a ago, with a 235 following on a UWSA1. 2 days ago I took NBME 6 and got slammed with a 220. Now I was slightly fatigued and overlooked over some simple mistakes...but take it as you will.

I think the free 150 overpredicts a little bit, but use it as a confidence booster :)

oh, no I'm scared now haha...got 256 on UWSA2 on sunday, 249 today on the 150 at the prometric center (btw -- I'm happy I paid for that. definitely helped me get used to the check in/out/break procedures, though the test interface isn't the same as the real thing).

however, I just went through the free one available online and found the questions were different from what I took earlier, with the exception of at least 10 questions. I found this second one to be a lot easier, though my percentage was about the same. I'm going to take NBME 6 in a couple days. it's not that I'm upset with my scores (def not!), just concerned that they might be inflated :(

EDIT: okay, I lied. had only done 2/3 blocks of the online free 150 when I wrote the above. finished the new one with a 88% (I didn't change answers for the questions I'd already seen, to be fair to myself :p) which equals a 255, a point different from UWSA2. hate feeling so unsure =/

Last edited:
School paid for NBME test at end of classes (no study): 500/200
UWorld test 1 (after 3 weeks of study): 610/242
NBME 11 (4 weeks of study): 570/238
UWorld test 2 (3 days left): 670/252

I'm hoping to get a 240. Think there is any utility in taking NBME 7 or 12 just for more practice and maybe some extra confidence? I wish UWorld didn't seem to over estimate scores quite so much. I know I'm probably being neurotic, but I can't help but thinking that I'm going to get unlucky and score poorly. Every time I review a section in FA it seems like there are more things I don't know than stuff I remember. How could I possibly score well if on any given page I am learning new stuff.

School paid for NBME test at end of classes (no study): 500/200
UWorld test 1 (after 3 weeks of study): 610/242
NBME 11 (4 weeks of study): 570/238
UWorld test 2 (3 days left): 670/252

I'm hoping to get a 240.
Think there is any utility in taking NBME 7 or 12 just for more practice and maybe some extra confidence? I wish UWorld didn't seem to over estimate scores quite so much. I know I'm probably being neurotic, but I can't help but thinking that I'm going to get unlucky and score poorly. Every time I review a section in FA it seems like there are more things I don't know than stuff I remember. How could I possibly score well if on any given page I am learning new stuff.

I'm rooting for you, Valko! I'm also in the 240-hopeful club :) I'm going to do NBME 6 and 7 + 12 (to simulate the real exam) myself a few days before my test since those seem to be pretty good predictors of the real thing.

man i was going over incorrect NBME questions and i made so many ridiculous mistakes that could have been avoided :beat:

NBME 5 - 6 weeks back -- 212
NBME 6 - 4 weeks back -- 207

NBME 12 - 2 weeks back - 550/233
NBME 11 - last week - 570/238

I hope I can go up a few more points, got another 2 weeks for my exam.

Should I do FA over twice? How are RR audio lectures? i thought i could brush up on some path.

This forum has been of great help to me, and surely, for many others. Thanks!

Does anyone have the correlation for the Free 150 NBME? What does a 85% translate to?

Thanks!!!

alright so I took a Kaplan full length - 70% (estimated 238)
the next day I took NBME 11 and score a 212, which was a 4pt drop from my previous NBME 6 about 10 days ago. See progress in signature

Although I am SUPER sick and hard time seeing the screen yesterday I still was sad about the drop in points?! Dunno what much else to do?!

Advice?! Pep talks!!! Anything!!! thanks

the next day I took NBME 11 and score a 212, which was a 4pt drop from my previous NBME 6 about 10 days ago. See progress in signature

Although I am SUPER sick and hard time seeing the screen yesterday I still was sad about the drop in points?! Dunno what much else to do?!

It's all about being in the right state of mind when you take a NBME. Remember, the threshold for error is VERY low and making silly errors is not forgiving. So, like you said, you were sick and that was probably the reason why :)

Keep at it you got a few weeks left! :xf:

Also I noticed that you opted to do Kaplan exam, forget them and go straight to the NBME. I don't trust Kaplan, hated their Qbank, felt that NBME and UWorld were where the money was at. Hell, I would rather do the free 150 USMLE world questions over the Kaplan assessment.

I agree with Gresh!

You have to be on top of your game to make progress or maintain consistency after you have "hit your peak" (whatever that means). Being sick certainly takes away from that.

If I was in your shoes, I would not take any NBME tests until I started feeling better. I'd review my study aids until I felt physically well enough to take another NBME. Then I would treat the NBME like the real deal: wake up like it's the test day, do your test in a controlled and quiet environment, etc.

Keep up the good work and good luck! :)

Alright....

NBME 12 (2 weeks in): 228
UWSA 1 (3 weeks in): 232
NBME 11 (3.5 weeks in): 245
UWSA 2 (Today-a lil over 3.5 weeks in): 234

Uworld complete at 63%

I really was hopeful after NBME 11, not sure wtf happened in the last two days...

I take the test on the 28th, any suggestions?

It's all about being in the right state of mind when you take a NBME. Remember, the threshold for error is VERY low and making silly errors is not forgiving. So, like you said, you were sick and that was probably the reason why :)

Keep at it you got a few weeks left! :xf:

Also I noticed that you opted to do Kaplan exam, forget them and go straight to the NBME. I don't trust Kaplan, hated their Qbank, felt that NBME and UWorld were where the money was at. Hell, I would rather do the free 150 USMLE world questions over the Kaplan assessment.

I agree with Gresh!

You have to be on top of your game to make progress or maintain consistency after you have "hit your peak" (whatever that means). Being sick certainly takes away from that.

If I was in your shoes, I would not take any NBME tests until I started feeling better. I'd review my study aids until I felt physically well enough to take another NBME. Then I would treat the NBME like the real deal: wake up like it's the test day, do your test in a controlled and quiet environment, etc.

Keep up the good work and good luck! :)

Thanks guys full hardheartedly ... yeah I decided today to just sit in bed with my FA and read over stuff. Didn't even go to Kaplan class for the second half because I felt like crap.

The Kaplan full length I took because it was offered as a proctored test, so it was more for the 8hrs, sitting on my butt, planning out my time etc... experience... plus the random noises in the room etc....

Love being on SDN!!! Makes me feel less suicidal :p j/k .... keep up the good work too guys!!! this will soon be over!

Alright....

NBME 12 (2 weeks in): 228
UWSA 1 (3 weeks in): 232
NBME 11 (3.5 weeks in): 245
UWSA 2 (Today-a lil over 3.5 weeks in): 234

Uworld complete at 63%

I really was hopeful after NBME 11, not sure wtf happened in the last two days...

I take the test on the 28th, any suggestions?

Wow... I must say I wish I had scores like yours :s.... from the looks of it though, you took NBME 11 and UWSA 2 very close to each other... and it is possible that you are burning yourself out. Since your test date is approaching in less than a week, for your own state of mind I would stop doing NBMEs... you have 1 week, review FA and do blocks of questions. Here's an example of my plan 1 week before (I have 6 days planned)

7am wake up
8am to 10 am - 2 blocks (random, unused/all)
10-11:30 review blocks
Lunch
12:30 - 6:30 - read FA, either preset subject, or whatever I was weak in the 2 blocks in the morning
Dinner + walk
7:30 - 10:30 2 more blocks and review
11-11:30 bed time

UWSA 1 : 216 - 8 weeks left

NBME 6 : 440 / 207 - 6 weeks left

NBME 5: 520 / 226 - 4 weeks left

NBME 11: 640/256 - 16 days left ( 15 wrong )

NBME 12: 590/242 - 12 days left ( Just finished it. 23 wrong. this test was hard )

NBME 7 : will take 1 week from test.

For everyone talking about NBME 11, i definitely found it a bit more straightforward than 12, but i also think that is because it had a bit more pathology and biochem, and a lot less physio and anatomy. I felt like 12 had a ton of anatomy and physio - and i'm not the best at these two topics. I blew off a lot of the 'up and down' physiology arrow questions bc of fatigue, and i started this test at around 330 after studying since 7 am, so maybe that explains the score dip. At the same time, i felt my nbme 11 might be a bit of a fluke and the 242 seems a bit more real given the progression of my other tests. 12 more days, I hope to finish my last 6 DIT lectures, my last 8 pathoma lectures, and make 2 full runs of FA and redo ~ 1000 Uworld questions in this time.

I don't know what to think! My scores this past week have been all over the place:

NBME 7 - 254
NBME 11 - 235
NBME 12 - 233
Free 150 - 257 (med friends - 90%)
UWSA 2 - 263 (82/93/70/86)

Hopefuly I can expect a score in mid/upper 240s :xf: but NBME 11/12 were such a downer compared to the others.