How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

err just took the first block of the Free150 and made an 89% and it felt MUCH easier than NBME 11/12 and yet on those I made 90-91%. I test tomorrow and I feel lazy and freaked out at the same time

So one day left before game day, I just finished another FA pass. I don't want to study all day the day before the test but I want to do something should I take the free 150, read my DIT study guide, both? Im leaning towards reading the dit guide, im not sure that more questions will accomplish anything at this point. Thanks for any input.

So one day left before game day, I just finished another FA pass. I don't want to study all day the day before the test but I want to do something should I take the free 150, read my DIT study guide, both? Im leaning towards reading the dit guide, im not sure that more questions will accomplish anything at this point. Thanks for any input.
study guide:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's getting hard for me too! I would have thought that I would be more motivated to study harder as I get closer to the test day but the exact opposite is happening :laugh:

Exactly! I figured I would be in a study panic but just looking at FA makes me wanna :barf:

Looks like there are a lot of people taking it this saturday...

I think I'll also look over the DIT study guide the day before and hope I get a favorable test...

Burnout is setting in pretty bad at this point, every time I open first aid I... :sleep:

4 weeks out - NBME 6 - 224
3 weeks out - NBME 12 - 235
2 weeks out - UWSA 2 - 256
8 days out - NBME 7 - 233
7 days out - NMBE 11 - 240
6 days out - Prometric Free 150 - 87% (medfriends = 253)
3 days out - UWSA 1 - 252

I saved UWSA 1 for last as I hoped it would provide a boost of confidence and a sense of security in my final days of studying. As I was taking the test I was thinking that the questions were very difficult. I was hoping just to break a 225 as I entered the 4th block. When I clicked on score report out popped a 252. This confirms for me that no matter how difficult you feel the questions are - you can score well on this exam. You can bomb one section and ace another - just stay focused.

Eliminating answer choices and making quality guesses can translate into a 10 to 20 point difference on this exam. When I take my exam on Saturday, I expect to see a run of unbelievably difficult questions. I will stay confident, think carefully, and know that I gave it my best shot.

Let's all kill this beast :thumbup:

4 weeks out - NBME 6 - 224
3 weeks out - NBME 12 - 235
2 weeks out - UWSA 2 - 256
8 days out - NBME 7 - 233
7 days out - NMBE 11 - 240
6 days out - Prometric Free 150 - 87% (medfriends = 253)
3 days out - UWSA 1 - 252

I saved UWSA 1 for last as I hoped it would provide a boost of confidence and a sense of security in my final days of studying. As I was taking the test I was thinking that the questions were very difficult. I was hoping just to break a 225 as I entered the 4th block. When I clicked on score report out popped a 252. This confirms for me that no matter how difficult you feel the questions are - you can score well on this exam. You can bomb one section and ace another - just stay focused.

Eliminating answer choices and making quality guesses can translate into a 10 to 20 point difference on this exam. When I take my exam on Saturday, I expect to see a run of unbelievably difficult questions. I will stay confident, think carefully, and know that I gave it my best shot.

Let's all kill this beast :thumbup:
Goodl luck dude...ill be there taking it with you at some other location!

NBME6 (in March, way pre studying) - 185
4 weeks out (2 weeks in) UWSA1 - 219
3 weeks out (3 weeks in) NBME 12 - 235
2 weeks out (today) NBME 11 - 228

Kind of bummed I went down from last week. I'm hoping this week and not last was somewhat of a fluke. I still have about half of UWorld to go, and I'm half through my second pass of firstaid. I'm thinking to take UWSA2 Friday, then NBME 7 Monday or Tuesday (week before the exam). Opinions? Goal was a 240... and I still would love that....

2 weeks out (today) NBME 11 - 228

Kind of bummed I went down from last week. I'm hoping this week and not last was somewhat of a fluke. I still have about half of UWorld to go, and I'm half through my second pass of firstaid. I'm thinking to take UWSA2 Friday, then NBME 7 Monday or Tuesday (week before the exam). Opinions? Goal was a 240... and I still would love that....
I agree ....Hit up FA in the last week and make sure you finish UW.

hey guys,

i have 5 full days left until the big day and 400+ uworld questions to go (unused). percentage is at 69% on random, timed blocks which i've done only over the past 2 weeks or so. latest nbme (12) was at 221 one week ago.

my question is: should i take these last 5 days to try to finish all those questions or focus more on reviewing first aid, which i haven't done in a full-on reading over, structured kind of way (other than as i review uworld). i.e., no second pass yet.

those who've taken the test, how would you weight more passes of first aid against questions?

thoughts? sooooooo appreciated!!

eeeeeek.

My progress so far:

Kaplan Qbank (During MS2): 100% complete, 63% correct
UW: 89% complete, 69% correct
NBME 12 (2 wks out): 540/231
NBME 11 (1.5 wks out): 610/247
UWSA 1 (9 days out): 670/252
Free 150 (7 days out): 92%

UWSA 2 and NBME 7 left I think...starting to feel rdy

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a tough call. I am in a similar boat:

UW1- 250 (3weeks out)
NBME 6-247 (2 weeks out)
UW2- 264 (yesterday)
NBME 12- 233!! (today)

What to do!! 6 days out. Did make some stupid errors, but seriously. If felt just like a uworld block to me only the behavior questions were 50 times harder!!! Probably shouldn't have taken that one so close, since I knew it wasn't a confidence booster, but common. Any suggestions. I am planning on trying to finish U world and maybe take one more NBME before the time is d-day. The problem with re-reading first aid is I feel I already have a decent grasp on that stuff. Only 6 of the questions that I got wrong today was I able to look up the answer definitively in FA. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

hey guys,

i have 5 full days left until the big day and 400+ uworld questions to go (unused). percentage is at 69% on random, timed blocks which i've done only over the past 2 weeks or so. latest nbme (12) was at 221 one week ago.

my question is: should i take these last 5 days to try to finish all those questions or focus more on reviewing first aid, which i haven't done in a full-on reading over, structured kind of way (other than as i review uworld). i.e., no second pass yet.

those who've taken the test, how would you weight more passes of first aid against questions?

thoughts? sooooooo appreciated!!

eeeeeek.

Lol I have the raw data and could have done the analysis if I cared but don't care anymore since I'm done with the exam. I have an extremely strong hunch though that they do randomize it properly because if they're not competent enough to do that, they shouldn't be giving these exams.

haha...shouldn't you be off somewhere having fun in the sun?

It is a tough call. I am in a similar boat:

UW1- 250 (3weeks out)
NBME 6-247 (2 weeks out)
UW2- 264 (yesterday)
NBME 12- 233!! (today)

What to do!! 6 days out. Did make some stupid errors, but seriously. If felt just like a uworld block to me only the behavior questions were 50 times harder!!! Probably shouldn't have taken that one so close, since I knew it wasn't a confidence booster, but common. Any suggestions. I am planning on trying to finish U world and maybe take one more NBME before the time is d-day. The problem with re-reading first aid is I feel I already have a decent grasp on that stuff. Only 6 of the questions that I got wrong today was I able to look up the answer definitively in FA. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I also had a significantly lower score on NBME 12. I think it's just a tough one.

UW1 - 230 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 12 - 233 (1 week ago)
UW2 - 234 (today)

I have 4 days left... What should I do? 1 more quick run of FA?!

How should I go over UW2? It usually takes me a long time to go through 1 block and I don't want to sacrifice that time so close to test day.

It felt that I didn't remember a lot of small details.

I would be so happy to get at least a 230 on the real test.

UW1 - 230 (2 weeks ago)
NBME 12 - 233 (1 week ago)
UW2 - 234 (today)

I have 4 days left... What should I do? 1 more quick run of FA?!

How should I go over UW2? It usually takes me a long time to go through 1 block and I don't want to sacrifice that time so close to test day.

It felt that I didn't remember a lot of small details.

I would be so happy to get at least a 230 on the real test.

I'm in the same boat, I took NBME12 and it was a confidence shattering experience. I also have 4 days left, and I've been spending time reviewing stuff I'm good at (so I don't miss the easy points) and reviewing stuff I suck at so I can improve on those areas, probably where I'm losing most of my points. Just hammer through FA, maybe do those rapid review associations and pix the day before... that's what I'm planning on doing.

I think I made a lot of stupid mistakes on NBME12...but it's definitely a harder exam I think.

Like a lot of you, I'm just four days out and wondering where to go to next. The prep guy at our school said to just review through FA and do incorrects on your qbank of choice (Kaplan for me....jumped on that bandwagon before I heard about UWorld and decided it was too expensive), but I ended up caving and getting a UWorld subscription too. Now wondering if I should just start doing random blocks of UWorld or just review FA and my old questions.

Oh, and progression.
School-based CBSE - 195 (5 weeks out)
NBME 7 - 200 (3 weeks)
NBME 12 - 205 (2 weeks)
NBME 11 - 240! (1 week; hopefully this isn't a fluke)

I'd be eternally happy with anything north of 240, but satisfied with 230+.

Like a lot of you, I'm just four days out and wondering where to go to next. The prep guy at our school said to just review through FA and do incorrects on your qbank of choice (Kaplan for me....jumped on that bandwagon before I heard about UWorld and decided it was too expensive), but I ended up caving and getting a UWorld subscription too. Now wondering if I should just start doing random blocks of UWorld or just review FA and my old questions.

Oh, and progression.
School-based CBSE - 195 (5 weeks out)
NBME 7 - 200 (3 weeks)
NBME 12 - 205 (2 weeks)
NBME 11 - 240! (1 week; hopefully this isn't a fluke)

I'd be eternally happy with anything north of 240, but satisfied with 230+.

Damn, that's a huge jump in one week! Good job!

definitely feeling like I'm hitting a plateau. nbme 12 was HARD and it was really difficult for me to finish it. I didn't get that feeling at all from nbme 11 and frankly I'm just glad my score didn't take a nosedive on 12. taking free 150 tomorrow and one final pass at FA.

gotta find it in me to just not get too tired. I'm looking over UWSA #2 right now and I just checked out during the 3rd block. I read a hemoglobin of 19.6 as a hematocrit and thought "wow, he's really anemic." I'm really afraid of making those mistakes on test day :eek:.

Last edited:
nbme 7: 214 (4 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 250 (3 weeks out)
nbme 11: 233 (2 weeks out)
nbme 12: 235 (1 week out)
UWSA 2: 250 (6 days out)
UW 100% complete, 67% overall, recently more like 70%

definitely feeling like I'm hitting a plateau. nbme 12 was HARD and it was really difficult for me to finish it. I didn't get that feeling at all from nbme 11 and frankly I'm just glad my score didn't take a nosedive on 12. taking free 150 tomorrow and one final pass at FA.

gotta find it in me to just not get too tired. I'm looking over UWSA #2 right now and I just checked out during the 3rd block. I read a hemoglobin of 19.6 as a hematocrit and thought "wow, he's really anemic." I'm really afraid of making those mistakes on test day :eek:.

Those are solid scores. When is your test?

UWorld 100% complete 69%
Kaplan 100% complete 68% (50% of it was done during finals studying)

5/23 (5 days in to studying) NBME 5: 221
5/31 UWSA 1: 244
6/3 NBME 7: 231
6/6 UWSA 2: 256
6/7 Free 150 (actually 138): 91% (256 on medfriends)
6/10: NBME 12: 242
6/12: NBME 6: 238
6/15 (today) NBME 11: 254

Can't believe it but after 4 wks I am just 2 days out from the beast. I'm going to finish the last 80 or so pages in FA tonight and then do some light review for a couple hours tmrw.

I am very nervous because I never thought it was possible that I could get above a 240 but based on how I've done on my practice tests and Qbanks I know now that it is within reach. I started out thinking I'd be happy with anything above a 230 (which I most certainly will still be) but I'd love to realize my potential and get a 240+. This is my last post until after the test so wish me luck, and to anyone taking it tomorrow or friday I wish you the best of luck!

UWorld 100% complete 69%
Kaplan 100% complete 68% (50% of it was done during finals studying)

5/23 (5 days in to studying) NBME 5: 221
5/31 UWSA 1: 244
6/3 NBME 7: 231
6/6 UWSA 2: 256
6/7 Free 150 (actually 138): 91% (256 on medfriends)
6/10: NBME 12: 242
6/12: NBME 6: 238
6/15 (today) NBME 11: 254

Can't believe it but after 4 wks I am just 2 days out from the beast. I'm going to finish the last 80 or so pages in FA tonight and then do some light review for a couple hours tmrw.

I am very nervous because I never thought it was possible that I could get above a 240 but based on how I've done on my practice tests and Qbanks I know now that it is within reach. I started out thinking I'd be happy with anything above a 230 (which I most certainly will still be) but I'd love to realize my potential and get a 240+. This is my last post until after the test so wish me luck, and to anyone taking it tomorrow or friday I wish you the best of luck!
Good luck..rock it

Okay I have a week left to study (exam on 24th). I've done 40% of UW (averaging 59%) and I've read 50 pages of FA thoroughly. My NBME 12 was a 200 (took it a week days ago). What should I focus on for my last week to maximize my score? I don't think I can finish both FA and UW...I'm somewhat familiar with most of first aid already by glancing through it during MS2 and in doing questions, but I haven't really committed much of it to memory.

Should I focus on getting one good pass through FA and using my extra time on UW? Or should I focus on finishing UW and focusing on my weaknesses in FA? Any alternative suggestions? I'm starting to panic here :scared:

Okay I have a week left to study (exam on 24th). I've done 40% of UW (averaging 59%) and I've read 50 pages of FA thoroughly. My NBME 12 was a 200 (took it a week days ago). What should I focus on for my last week to maximize my score? I don't think I can finish both FA and UW...I'm somewhat familiar with most of first aid already by glancing through it during MS2 and in doing questions, but I haven't really committed much of it to memory.

Should I focus on getting one good pass through FA and using my extra time on UW? Or should I focus on finishing UW and focusing on my weaknesses in FA? Any alternative suggestions? I'm starting to panic here :scared:

I would suggest reading FA completely - trying to pick up stuff you are weak at. Do a block of q's every morning (timed) and If u can do more - do more questions. Def. get through FA though.

My progress so far:

UWSA 2 (5 days out): 620/244

Man was the 2nd half of UWSA 2 a tough one. Still I'm pretty happy with how I did. I think I'll take NBME 7 and that'll be it, but I think I'm ready for this thing.

My progress so far:

Man was the 2nd half of UWSA 2 a tough one. Still I'm pretty happy with how I did. I think I'll take NBME 7 and that'll be it, but I think I'm ready for this thing.
You're totally ready! Nice set of scores :)

My progress so far:

Agreed on UWSa2...i dropped 6pts from UWSA1 and i took it 3 weeks later!!

I have ~5 days left. Should I go over incorrect answers (~700) or go thru FA one more time?

I did both. My major thing was getting through First Aid (did it in 4) and I would start the morning with a block of incorrects in tutor mode and then crank it out. Every now and then I'd sprinkle in 5 to 10 incorrect questions just to break up the monotony of First Aid. I was able to do in 4 days and leave that 5th day for 2 blocks of missed questions and then the flash cards I made and photos.

I didn't do ALL of my incorrects, but I did do enough to be around 200 incorrect by the end.

2 weeks out NBME 11 - 228

9 days out (today) UWSA2 - 236

Really frustrated. My goal is/was a 240, and I just feel like I've been regressing since I took NBME 12. If this weren't UW2 I would be less upset. I have 35% of UWorld left, and am about 2/3 through my second pass of FA.

For what its worth, I def. did worse on the sections I haven't gone through a second time. Additionally, a girl plopped down a few seats over from me and noshed this really crunchy salad during my last block.

Delaying isn't an option, and I'm not sure I would if I could. From here, I'm planning on taking NBME7 on Tuesday morning at the test center, hitting my low points in FA, finishing UW and doing my incorrects again. Any advice?

Thanks. I got a 214 on NBME 11 after a 226 on UWSA 1, which I took less than a week ago.

I was hoping to take NBME 7 soon - i heard that is easier.

yea i'm doing nbme 7/11 back to back tmro.....hopefully this goes well....
I also heard NBME 7 can be pickier on small facts but its less thinking involved...so some ppl find it harder just bc they dont reamember the facts

I'm feelin' a little weird. I've only taken one NBME self-assessment, and that was today. At the end of the year, we took a basic science exam that was, from what I can gather, the same basic thing. The scoring was a little more funky with that one, however.

Anyway, I scored 'around' a 240 with that one. (Like I said, the scoring was weird, so I can only say that I scored above a 240, but under a 245) That was about a month ago. Today, after studying for a month, I scored a 242...It felt like a much harder test, but I thought I did much better.

I take the exam on the 30th...I'm hoping to bring my real score up to a 250+...We'll see I guess.

I've heard NBME 7 and 11 are the most representative of the real thing, score wise...

Form 11 was really hard though...only scored a 219 here :(

Anyone know last year's national average for Step 1?

I've heard NBME 7 and 11 are the most representative of the real thing, score wise...

Form 11 was really hard though...only scored a 219 here :(

Anyone know last year's national average for Step 1?

221 I think... I've heard many different things about the 'best score predictor'. I wouldn't go in thinking you are only capable of doing a 219 because nbme 11 said so. I think it is different for different people and depends on the specific test questions they get.

My progress so far:

UW: 100% complete, 69% correct
NBME 7 (3 days out): 600/245

Ready to take this exam on!

Last edited:
Try your hardest to not look at the exams as a predictor, but rather an assessment of what you need to work on.

People get obsessed with the scores, but in the end, that is the least important part of it. You are already studying your arse off, so what can you do more on that front? You can refine your studying to your weak points and eliminate the stupid mistakes.

5/28 NBME6: 250
6/4 UWSA1: 257
6/11 UWSA2: 265
6/15 NBME 11: 261
6/17 NBME 12: 257

UWorld 79%

Test on 6/22. Started dedicated study on 5/6, 12 hours/day 6 days/week. Just finished getting through First Aid this week, and working on my last comb through now. I was hoping to take the day before completely off, but I'm a little behind on this last pass already so I will most likely do a half day.

I. Can't. Wait. To. Be. Done. With. This.

Yea, you've probably peaked out a while ago. When you're in that score range, there isn't much that first aid can teach you either. ;)

Try your hardest to not look at the exams as a predictor, but rather an assessment of what you need to work on.

People get obsessed with the scores, but in the end, that is the least important part of it. You are already studying your arse off, so what can you do more on that front? You can refine your studying to your weak points and eliminate the stupid mistakes.

But this would require me to be a rational person.

04/04/2011- nbme 3= 226 ( ryte after school board review)
05/30/2011-nbme 6= 210
06/11/2011-nbme 12=193
06/19/2011-nbme 7- 207

Exam on july 7th, any advise would be appreciated (+ and -) lol.

Is it worth it for me to take NBME 7? My exam is on Thursday, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of taking another practice test. Here are my previous scores:

School administered test (6 weeks ago): 210
NBME 11 (4 weeks ago): 214
NBME 6 (3 weeks ago): 228
UWSA 1 (2 weeks ago): 242
UWSA 2 (1.5 weeks ago): 245

I'm kind of worried that the UWSA's aren't representative, but at the same time I might be freaked out if I take NBME 7 right now and don't do well. However, it could also be a confidence booster if I do well. Is it worth taking this close to test day or should I just forget about it?

04/04/2011- nbme 3= 226 ( ryte after school board review)
05/30/2011-nbme 6= 210
06/11/2011-nbme 12=193
06/19/2011-nbme 7- 207

Exam on july 7th, any advise would be appreciated (+ and -) lol.

How long have you been studying? What have you been doing? What is your goal score?