How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall my study period has been great, although I have to admit it's getting harder to stay motivated after doing well on the NBMEs, a part of me wants to schedule my test for a sooner date. After doing well on 2 I thought it may have been a fluke, but today's score on 3 made me feel better. I've actually learned something in these last two years!

I feel exactly the same. Part of me wants to take this sheet tomorrow and have a nice lil summer break.

But I would shoot myself if I screwed it up, so I'll keep on pressing and telling myself my NBMEs are just luck.

My little update:

(6 weeks out) NBME 5: 224/520
(5.5 weeks out) NBME 4: 226/530
(4 weeks out) UW assessment: 238/590
(~3 weeks out) NBME 1: 234/570
(8 days out) NBME 2: 244/620
Actual: 243
UW cumulative avg:66% with 100% completed. I plan on going through my incorrect questions.
Last 305 unused questions: ~72% (66%-82%)
Subjects left: biochem, immuno, cell bio, behavioral, 2nd half of BRS physio, Female Repro
8 days out and I think I'm becoming superstitious :scared::luck:
Test:6/10

Last edited:
My little update:

(6 weeks out) NBME 5: 224/520
(5.5 weeks out) NBME 4: 226/530
(4 weeks out) UW assessment: 238/590
(~3 weeks out) NBME 1: 234/570
(8 days out) NBME 2: 244/620

UW cumulative avg:66% with 100% completed. I plan on going through my incorrect questions.
Last 305 unused questions: ~72% (66%-82%)
Subjects left: biochem, immuno, cell bio, behavioral, 2nd half of BRS physio, Female Repro
8 days out and I think I'm becoming superstitious :scared::luck:
Test:6/10

Nice update and congrats on the progress! Looks like you're headed for a very good score...

Members don't see this ad :)
Since apparently just editing the original post won't do, I'll follow suit:

Started Studying 5/16 (after Finals). Schedule is as follows (each day ends with 3 hours of random block of UW):

2 days of Physio (BRS + FA)
4 days of Path (RR + FA)
2 days of Behavioral (HY + FA)
4 days of Micro/Immuno (Ridiculously Simple & HY + FA)
4 days of Pharm (deja + FA... mostly FA and notecards I've made)
3 days of Biochem (RR + HY + FA)
2 days of Anatomy (Road Map, HY Cell and Molecular, and Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously simple + FA [solely FA for embryo])
4.5 days for review
-0.5 days for annotated FA Biochem
-2.0 days for once through FA
-1.0 days for equations/pharm/immuno/biochem diseases
-1.0 days for "final review" (high yield facts, photos, pharm cards) wrapping up with dinner, then no studying night before.

NBME 2 (5/23): 460/209
NBME 5 (5/24): 520/224
NBME 6 (6/3): 570/234
NBME 3 (6/6): 530/226

UW: 47% unused, overall average of 58% correct, last 300 average of 68% (random, timed, unused).

Happy with a 230, Goal is 240 (or better)... in media final review while reviewing pharm daily (weakest subject). Test is 6/11. Freedom is 6/12.

Last edited:
Nice thread whoever started it....a bit theraputic to see we're all in the same boat..

(8 wks. from D-day) NBME 1 -219/500
(6.5 wks) - NBME 2 - 226/530

UWorld Biochem - 65% - LOTS more to do

Only finished Biochem so far....on to Micro

Goal - 240+

School made us take NBME 4 in March, before path and pharm were done, and I got a 440 (est. 204).

Current cumulative in UW: 60% on unused questions only
Recent performance: around 70%
NBME 5 today (two weeks out): 610 (est. 242)

Current mood: :D if I actually get a 240, I would be thrilled. My studying has been going well, so I hope I have yet to peak.

for those getting 240 range, are you guys getting * in every section?

I just took nbme 6, got 13 of these * (i think it's 17 total categories) but still the numerical number is w/in 1SD of the mean. =(

this is especially frustrating since when going through 6, i thought for sure I was going to break 240 on it.
I think I had two sections without stars - histo and GI.

School made us take NBME 4 in March, before path and pharm were done, and I got a 440 (est. 204).

Current cumulative in UW: 60% on unused questions only
Recent performance: around 70%
NBME 5 today (two weeks out): 610 (est. 242)

Current mood: :D if I actually get a 240, I would be thrilled. My studying has been going well, so I hope I have yet to peak.

Congrats! Stay with it and you will kill that thing in 2 weeks.

Keg - well done my friend. continue the progress. celebrate with a trip to locust hills.

Last edited:
Thanks! doing well has killed my motivation to study for today :p I've been sluggish on the phys so far.

I know exactly how you feel because I did better than I expected early on in my studying. But then as soon as I struggled with a couple of UW blocks it brought me right back to where I needed to be. I almost like missing questions on there just so I know I won't miss them on the real thing and because it keeps me in the books hard.

Yea, I've been doing random 50 Qs since day 2 of studying, its been about 2 and half weeks of studying, with 2 and a half more weeks left. Ive been roaming around 60-66%. The last 3 random 50s were 64, 60, and 62. I dont know if this is good or bad...but i feel kind of :scared:

is that good or bad? meh...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I've been doing random 50 Qs since day 2 of studying, its been about 2 and half weeks of studying, with 2 and a half more weeks left. Ive been roaming around 60-66%. The last 3 random 50s were 64, 60, and 62. I dont know if this is good or bad...but i feel kind of :scared:

Well, it's above average, and the average UW user is probably at least an average med student, so I think it's a good sign.

60-66% not bad at all - for example - the cumulative biochem average is around 48%...and like prowler said, the average user of UWorld is probably at least an average med. student

Well I'll put mine up, don't laugh... all I want is a 220 and to be done with this.

UW's 75% complete with a cumulative average of 57% on all random questions and no repeats. The last six have averaged in the 65% range.

Form 4 (3 weeks out): 209
Form 3 (2 weeks out): 236

I'm thinking that's got to be a fluke though, no way I learned enough in one week to go up 27 points... I'll take another when I'm one week out to see if it's a real indicator or not... Are there any forms you recommend I take? I was thinking of going with Form 6.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Well I'll put mine up, don't laugh... all I want is a 220 and to be done with this.

UW's 75% complete with a cumulative average of 57% on all random questions and no repeats. The last six have averaged in the 65% range.

Form 4 (3 weeks out): 209
Form 3 (2 weeks out): 236

I'm thinking that's got to be a fluke though, no way I learned enough in one week to go up 27 points... I'll take another when I'm one week out to see if it's a real indicator or not... Are there any forms you recommend I take? I was thinking of going with Form 6.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

6 would be a good one to take. not too overloaded on one subject.

Hey everyone,

Here are my scores so far-

UW 64% done / 67% average
NBME 2 5/14: 234 (Post finals, pre-study)
NBME 4 5/22: 236
NBME 5 5/29: 250
NBME 6 6/4: 261

For studying, I've been mainly doing UW, the subject based part of FA, and three of the systems in FA (Musculoskeletal, Neuro, and Renal). I'm a little surprised that my score has improved as much as it has given that I still have so much of FA to do...

My concern is that I've been getting lucky, and I know that if my test is Pharm and Micro heavy (both of which I loathe...I hate memorizing! :mad:), I'll be in trouble.

My test is 6/18, so I have just under two weeks. Any suggestions for what I should do until the test?

After 1 week of studying
UW%: 48 with 15% used

not good... after 2 weeks of studying didn't improve all that much.

NBME 2: 174
UW percentage is at 54% with 48% used.

ahhhh.

thanks everyone for making this thread a hit.

After 1 week of studying
UW%: 48 with 15% used

not good... after 2 weeks of studying didn't improve all that much.

NBME 2: 174
UW percentage is at 54% with 48% used.

ahhhh.

thanks everyone for making this thread a hit.

Keep at it, that UW improvement bodes well, don't worry about the NMBE scores, it won't mean as much until you've covered all your subjects. Just keep at it. I bet your next NMBE will be even more of an improvement.

If it helps I only did NBME #6 a little more than a week before the exam. I got a 238 on the NBME and a 247 of the real deal.

Hi all. Thought I'd contribute my info:

NBME 4 (2 weeks out): 250 (660)
NBME 3 (about 1 week out): 245 (630)
NBME 6 (about 5 days out): 256 (700)

UWorld: 100% complete, 72% cumulative, about 75% on the last 400

I didn't really like form 3. I found that it asked just a lot of detail-type questions, and was a bit tougher than 4 and 6. I thought that form 6 was pretty good. Not too many detail-type questions, and more path/pathophys and physiology questions. It also had a bit more clincial-type vignette scenarios.

My test is this coming Tuesday. At this point I just want to take this thing and get it over with. My goal is 235+ (I'm not planning on applying to any super-competitive residencies), so hopefully I get somewhere in the vicinity of my NBME scores. Good luck to all those studying!

Last edited:
Goals: Like to get 230+; I want to do pediatrics or primary care.

Stuff I’ve used to prepare:
Got thru 82% of Kaplan Qbank with 76% correct; in the 70s and 80s for the last 200 questions.

First Aid (starting on my 3rd time through it)
The Doctors In Training/What You Need to Know class
Read the entire books to prepare for 2nd year finals:
BRS Behavioral Science
BRS Path
BRS Phys
BRS Pharm
Also read the charts at the end of every section of Bates

Goljan audio 2-3X
Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
The immunology section of the BRS Micro/Immuno
Skimmed sections of HY Anatomy and HY Neuroanatomy

Practice Tests:
-. .5/22: the 150 question one at the Prometric center: 86% correct
-. .5/25: NBME 2: 580/236
-. .5/29: NBME 3: 640/247
-. .6/1: NBME 4: 630/245
-. .6/6: Kaplan Full Length Institutional Administered Practice Exam: 79% correct
-. .6/14: USMLE Step 1!!

Thanks for letting me procrastinate by posting this....

hey guys,

i posted earlier, but just took nbme 6, so i'll repost my scores,

nbme 4: 228 (taken about 4 to 5 weeks ago)
Nbme 3: 226 (taken about 3 weeks ago)
Nbme 6: 242 (took yesterday)

hoping to crack 240 on the real deal, hopefully 6 has some correlation....

i can totally understand getting lazy after doing well. i've been pretty slow on my studying ever since!:D

How much can your score improve in 10 days or so?

6 weeks out I got a 190 on NBME 1
2 weeks out I got a 76% on the free 150 I took at the test center (230)

What is a realistic score for me to achieve in these last 10 days of cramming?

How much can your score improve in 10 days or so?

6 weeks out I got a 190 on NBME 1
2 weeks out I got a 76% on the free 150 I took at the test center (230)

What is a realistic score for me to achieve in these last 10 days of cramming?

Wow, great jump in scores in a matter of only 4 weeks! You must have been going balls to the wall. I see no reason to get yourself 5-10 points higher with a week of cramming bugs, drugs and embryo - at least that's what I'm telling myself with 9 days to go.

Keep in mind that most everyone else will be doing the same to get those easy micro, pharm and embryo points, so I think 5 points is a safe bet.

took NBME 4 today... 600(240)
NBME 6 was 580(236) 2 weeks ago.

I would have liked to see a little bit more jump in scores seeing how I have about 2 weeks left to go. Is it the general consensus that 4 is the hardest one?

took NBME 4 today... 600(240)
NBME 6 was 580(236) 2 weeks ago.

I would have liked to see a little bit more jump in scores seeing how I have about 2 weeks left to go. Is it the general consensus that 4 is the hardest one?

I've heard 3 and 6 were the hardest ??? No telling though, different strokes for different folks.

NBME 3: 253 (680), 5 days out

UW: 65% cumulative (last test 86%!) with 40% complete.

Planning to do at least one more NBME... Which one (or two) forms would you recommend during these last few days???

Crap

NBME 2 (3 weeks out; first one) - 238; after two weeks studying
NBME 3 (2 weeks out; 2nd one) - 216; after 3 weeks studying (today)
Kaplan Qbank - 42% done with 62% avg

Goal 240+ would be happy witha 230+

I found test 3 harder, I dont know what happened. I thought I had an okay pace throughout. I haven't covered the bulk of pathology or pharmacology yet. And this test compared to 2 had more pharm and systemic path, so maybe tahts why? But man...that took a blow to my ego.

:scared:

So I just took the USMLE World assesment.

I took NBME 5 - 221.... 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks out.
Then NBME 3 - 224.....last week, 2 weeks out

Then I did pharmacology, embryology, biostat, behavioral science....you know all the dumb give away crap I've been missing.

I took USMLE World assesment: 244.

My goal is 240+, and I pray to God that I can learn a lot more in the next 8 days. I also hope that UW is semi-representative.

Okay,

Here's my last update before the big day.
I've taken 4 of the NBME's and almost completed UWorld. I stopped doing it 2 days before my test just in case I did bad on a block and got overly stressed about it.

NBME 1 before studying: 220
NBME 2 3 weeks out: 257
NBME 3 2 weeks out: 259
NBME 4 5 days out: 259
UWorld average with 25% remaining: 75%

After taking NBME 3 I decided to move my test up a week. Partly because I felt ready, and partly because I felt I was going to forget stuff I had learned in the first weeks if I waited too much longer. Plus, I was slowly getting more lazy about my studying and schedule as the day drew nearer. Pushing the date up gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get my act together.

I guess I'll see in a couple of days whether or not it was a good idea or not, here's hoping though :eek:

Okay,

Here's my last update before the big day.
I've taken 4 of the NBME's and almost completed UWorld. I stopped doing it 2 days before my test just in case I did bad on a block and got overly stressed about it.

NBME 1 before studying: 220
NBME 2 3 weeks out: 257
NBME 3 2 weeks out: 259
NBME 4 5 days out: 259
UWorld average with 25% remaining: 75%

After taking NBME 3 I decided to move my test up a week. Partly because I felt ready, and partly because I felt I was going to forget stuff I had learned in the first weeks if I waited too much longer. Plus, I was slowly getting more lazy about my studying and schedule as the day drew nearer. Pushing the date up gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get my act together.

I guess I'll see in a couple of days whether or not it was a good idea or not, here's hoping though :eek:

Those certainly look like good indicators that you are ready to take the test. What percentage have you been doing on UWorld in the past 300 questions?

5/11- Pre-study - NBME 1 - 490 (216) --> freaked me out.
5/25 after 2 weeks- NBME 2 - 630 (245)
5/31 3 weeks out - NBME 3 - 650 (248)
6/8 12 days out - NBME 5 - 650 (248)
UW - 34% remaining, 65% correct.
Test date - 6/20

5/11- Pre-study - NBME 1 - 490 (216) --> freaked me out.
5/25 after 2 weeks- NBME 2 - 630 (245)
5/31 3 weeks out - NBME 3 - 650 (248)
6/8 12 days out - NBME 5 - 650 (248)
UW - 34% remaining, 65% correct.
Test date - 6/20

looks like you're in pretty good shape. why did scoring around the national average before studying freak you out? I'd be excited. Nice work, keep it up.

looks like you're in pretty good shape. why did scoring around the national average before studying freak you out? I'd be excited. Nice work, keep it up.

Because he wants to be a Plastic Orthopedodermatologist, with a sub specialty in Ophtho.

Because he wants to be a Plastic Orthopedodermatologist, with a sub specialty in Ophtho.

Believe the field actually should have been an "integrated" plastic Uroorthopedodermatologist, with a sub specialty in Ophtho.

update:

NBME 6 - 265+ 5 days out <-- found this easier than NBME 4

Uworld avg with 15% remaining: 83% with last 4 sets of 88, 86,92,88

I'm gonna go vomit because I can't sit down and study anymore. Last two days I ended up watching 2 movies and going to a friends's party. I really think my score is going to suffer since in the last 3-4 days people cram the **** out of FA - I am incapable of doing that at this point :(

update:

I'm gonna go vomit because I can't sit down and study anymore. Last two days I ended up watching 2 movies and going to a friends's party. I really think my score is going to suffer since in the last 3-4 days people cram the **** out of FA - I am incapable of doing that at this point :(

Sounds like you're ready. Get through the next few days and go get 'em.

update:

I got a question about you and others who are posting UW scores. Now these percentages are these all randomly chosen, unused questions that you're getting 83% on or are these questions in a particular section, or are these questions that you've done before? Thanks for the clarification.

I got a question about you and others who are posting UW scores. Now these percentages are these all randomly chosen, unused questions that you're getting 83% on or are these questions in a particular section, or are these questions that you've done before? Thanks for the clarification.

I think the majority of UW users are doing random, timed, unused for their question blocks. That's what I did.

Unless posted otherwise, most people mean timed, unused, random.

I really think my score is going to suffer since in the last 3-4 days people cram the **** out of FA - I am incapable of doing that at this point :(

If you are actually worried right now, then you are lying about your scores. For future reference - a little honesty goes a long way...at least be honest with yourself.

So is there any consensus on the UW self assessment?

I took NBME #6 a week ago and kinda struggled/freaked out with it and got a 216, but I took the UW self assessment today and ended up with a 254.

Although I think my NBME result was a little low compared to others with the same UW results (~66% completely finished w/timed, random blocks of 50), I don't know if I'm at the 254 level either.