How's your NBME progression coming? scores and trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrancisvsGoljan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking it would be a great idea to track how NBMEs are going and what question bank people are using. It gives us a good way to figure out how we're doing individually. I know it's not based on just sdn and there are a ton of people. But it's better than nothing. Also how long you've been studying. I guess I'll start!

After 1 week of studying
USMLEWorld: used 15% and overall correct is 48%
NBME 1: 172.5 :scared:

I know this is not great but hopefully a good starting point. I spent 2 days on biochem and one on behavioral science and the other times just doing questions. my overall goal is a 230. we'll see how it goes....

comment are highly appreciated. thanks! I'll keep this post updated. I hope others do too.:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

(6 weeks out) NBME 5: 224/520
(5.5 weeks out) NBME 4: 226/530
(4 weeks out) UW assessment: 238/590
(~3 weeks out-5/20) NBME 1: 234/570 62% UW average of last 300 questions leading up until this exam

UW cumulative avg:64% with 73% completed
Last 300 questions(as of 5/25): 70% (74, 68, 74, 64, 70)
15 days out:scared:
Test:6/10

I really want to break 245+:luck:

Last edited:
so what is the consensus... to take nbme 5 or not? some say yes, some say no? i took the others already...

also... are the nbme exams as correlative as those aamc practice mcat exams??! if so, then they must really suck and not be representative at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got UW Self Assessment to work this morning and took it.

CBSE (end of class before studying - 7 weeks out): 70/200
UW Self Assessment (5/26 - 4 weeks out): 650/248

I haven't started the UW QBank yet so I wasn't sure what to expect and I thought the test was very difficult, so I was shocked to have done so much higher than I did on my CBSE. I felt like I was just guessing on so many questions. I guess I should maybe make a new goal since I was shooting for 240, but I would still be satisfied just to stay where I am.

I feel that UW tends to test more obscure information than the online NBMEs, which can mostly be answered with a solid fund of knowledge. Perhaps your base is better than most people's but they have more of the details in place?
I guess that's a logical conclusion, but it does seem very strange that I'd somehow remember more of the stuff that NBME considers to be important and forget all of the details that they don't. Maybe it has something to do with having done so many UW questions before studying as opposed to during or after studying? Which makes me wonder if UW is really as good of a learning tool as is claimed... since it had a negligible impact on my NBME score after 1000 questions.

In any case... I see the jump you made and hope I can improve half that much!

Just took my final NBME (3). 800, but strangely enough I had a respiratory score with half the bar in borderline performance, don't know how that works.

I wonder what the minimum percentage is for an 800 score. 90%? 95%? 98%?

I've been wondering about something else as well... it seems agreed that the statistical method NBME uses weights certain questions differently, so that one question may help or hurt you more than another. I can't help but wonder if they follow a strict "one correct answer" rule, or they might also weight certain incorrect answers differently. i.e., maybe it wouldn't hurt you so much for picking astrocytoma instead of medulloblastoma, but picking chondroma would be really bad. :laugh: If so, getting a good score might include only picking reasonable answers for the ones you miss instead of random guessing in addition to getting a lot absolutely correct. Any thoughts?

I've been wondering about something else as well... it seems agreed that the statistical method NBME uses weights certain questions differently, so that one question may help or hurt you more than another. I can't help but wonder if they follow a strict "one correct answer" rule, or they might also weight certain incorrect answers differently. i.e., maybe it wouldn't hurt you so much for picking astrocytoma instead of medulloblastoma, but picking chondroma would be really bad. :laugh: If so, getting a good score might include only picking reasonable answers for the ones you miss instead of random guessing in addition to getting a lot absolutely correct. Any thoughts?

It's a fun idea, although I doubt they would do that. For one it is extremely, extremely complex to do that, and how do you weigh a wrong answer better than another? Aren't all wrong answers equally wrong because they have a reason for being wrong? And a reason for something not being the answer is a good enough reason for not picking it.

No one knows how many questions you need to answer correctly to get 800. It may be anywhere from 90-100%. But I don't think there is any negative scoring.

I posted an explanation of how USMLE like tests can be designed:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6625862

In my hypothetical example if you replace my distribution with NBME distribution with M = 500 and SD = 100, then 10/10 will get you 820, and 9.2/10 will get you exact 800.

That may also explain following:

Just took my final NBME (3). 800, but strangely enough I had a respiratory score with half the bar in borderline performance, don't know how that works.

No one knows how many questions you need to answer correctly to get 800. It may be anywhere from 90-100%. But I don't think there is any negative scoring.

I posted an explanation of how USMLE like tests can be designed:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6625862

In my hypothetical example if you replace my distribution with NBME distribution with M = 500 and SD = 100, then 10/10 will get you 820, and 9.2/10 will get you exact 800.

That may also explain following:

With that exam methodology in mind, what happens when something drastic happens to the exam-prep methods of the population of exam takers? For example, if USMLE world is this brilliantly effective exam prep tool that was used by 25% of the exam takers in 2007 but 75% in 2008, what happens to the score distributions? Right now, 60% on USMLE World's question bank works out to about 230 on the real exam. Given that this Qbank IS effective, a larger percentage of exam takers using the tool should increase the probability of a random test taker getting a random question correct (shifting the distribution for that question to the right, right?). But, the test wizards mandate a mean of 216ish, so does the 60% on USMLE world then work out to 220? And, more importantly, does a given amount of knowledge equate to a lower score?

With that exam methodology in mind, what happens when something drastic happens to the exam-prep methods of the population of exam takers? For example, if USMLE world is this brilliantly effective exam prep tool that was used by 25% of the exam takers in 2007 but 75% in 2008, what happens to the score distributions? Right now, 60% on USMLE World's question bank works out to about 230 on the real exam. Given that this Qbank IS effective, a larger percentage of exam takers using the tool should increase the probability of a random test taker getting a random question correct (shifting the distribution for that question to the right, right?). But, the test wizards mandate a mean of 216ish, so does the 60% on USMLE world then work out to 220? And, more importantly, does a given amount of knowledge equate to a lower score?

Is the avg of all UW users around 60%? If not, then it doesn't really correlate to a higher Step 1 avg. Not all UW users grasp the info given in their explanations as competently as others.

I wonder how many med students use UW vs. how many SDN-using med students use UW.

You have a point, though.

Members don't see this ad :)

First, let me say this, I am not a statistician! So, take everything I said in my old post and this post with a grain of salt.

The impact of prep-course like UW will be minimal on actual USMLE exam, and even on my hypothetical final exam. Let me first try to explain USMLE case:

The robustness of USMLE questions lays in item-analysis. The professional exams like USMLE are very high-stakes exams, therefore item-analysis has to be as prefect as possible. Although every component of item-analysis plays a big role, the distracter-analysis and PBC play a bigger role in selecting questions for final exam. In fact distracter plays very critical role. As you know, all the questions are designed to test full breadth and depth of knowledge acquired during whole learning, not just what is learned from a particular prep-course. During item-analysis, using specially designed frequency table, each experimental question is analyzed for distracters. On a five-response multiple choice question one of the distracter will be chosen such that it will appeal to those who have not mastered all the material.

Just take the example of NBME. Whenever there is a discussion of some question on NBME on these forums, most students with good knowledge-base quickly narrow the options down to 2. After that a lot of time it is your whole knowledge (text-book + prep-course knowledge) that helps you pick one.

Other fact, that UW has minimal impact on UW, can be derived from example of NBME-2. My assumption is that NBME-2 is more than 3 year old? Yes/no??
Now look at the impact of UW. A lot of students are taking UW this year. But some who are scoring in upper 60s or low 70s in UW are scoring the same on NBME-2 as those who are scoring in mid-50s on UW. How is that possible? Only explanation for that is choice of distracter on NBME-2. When you take a prep-course like UW/Kaplan, it helps you improve many things but you still need to have good/excellent text-book+class-lecture knowledge to have that extra edge.

Now in my hypothetical example, I was doing M & SD calculation on every question every time the exam was administered. So every question is going through continuous statistical analysis. Therefore that setup will take care of any adjustments due to any prep-course spikes. In fact I am sure USMLE does the same, including item-analysis every time that question is repeated on an exam.

Your last question, I already answered that. You need whole knowledge to attack this exam, not just prep-course(s).

Other fact, that UW has minimal impact on UW, can be derived from example of NBME-2. My assumption is that NBME-2 is more than 3 year old? Yes/no??
Now look at the impact of UW. A lot of students are taking UW this year. But some who are scoring in upper 60s or low 70s in UW are scoring the same on NBME-2 as those who are scoring in mid-50s on UW. How is that possible? Only explanation for that is choice of distracter on NBME-2. When you take a prep-course like UW/Kaplan, it helps you improve many things but you still need to have good/excellent text-book+class-lecture knowledge to have that extra edge.
Very interesting observation, especially in light of my UWorld average and NBME scores vs other people's. I'm almost starting to wonder if UWorld and other question banks are more valuable for their ability to get you used to timed question blocks, strange ways of asking questions, the general format, etc. than they are for actual learning potential. It does seem like there is some inherent predictive ability in UW and other banks, but that only correlates with unused question percentage, not repeat question percentage, as if learning the material in UW does not help you achieve a better score but if you already knew it then there is a higher probability of achieving a higher score.

Very interesting observation, especially in light of my UWorld average and NBME scores vs other people's.....

Yes, you are right. Qbanks do focus more on fine-tuning your test taking skills. But these skills are also very important to get a higher score. Now if you combine Qbanks with review-books, the knowledge gain is definitely more. However it may not be enough to cross certain threshold.

Let's take an example of 5 students A,B,C,D, & E, who prepare for the USMLE using different methods.

A has 100% coverage of QB, but TB coverage is 60%.
B has 40% coverage of QB, but TB coverage is 10%.
C has 30% coverage of QB, but TB coverage is 100%.
D has not used QB but TB coverage is 70%.
E has not used QB but TB coverage is 100%.

QR=(Qbanks + Review-Books), TB=(Text-books + Class-work)

** By coverage I mean knowledge/understanding/retention/recall/etc...

Now based on my assumptions, C can get 250+, A and E both can get 230+, D can get 185+, and B may not pass the exam. Therefore, Prep-courses alone may not be enough to even pass the exam. But with strong basics and knowledge-base, the prep-course will help you to excel to the highest level.

So you are right when you said
as if learning the material in UW does not help you achieve a better score but if you already knew it then there is a higher probability of achieving a higher score

When USMLE designs exam, their goal is not to fail x% of students (that is never a goal in any professional exam). With negatively skewed distribution, more students are likely to pass USMLE than fail. But question selection, based on item-analysis, is such that students have hard time crossing M+SD (215+20=235) threshold.

Getting this thread back on track with some new info.
NBME 4: 180 (taken like four months out, forced by my school with no studying)
NBME 1:209 (two months out)half assed studying started here
NBME 2: 226(one month out)started studying for real here
NBME 3:232 (three weeks out)
NBME 6:240 (two weeks out)today

280, here I come!:laugh:
Also according to the equation everyone uses to correlate usmleworld with the real thing Dwaynewade will receive the first perfect score in history. 90%*2.4+84=300:laugh:

I got a little problem. I took nbme 3 three weeks ago and scored a 460. I just took nbme 4 today and scored a 440. I wondered if this type of situation has happened to anyone else. Is their something im doing wrong. I've been studying like crazy and my exam on june 11. Any advice would be appreciated.

i think those 2 are real hard. maybe take one more - like 6 - one week before and see how that goes?

NBME123456- I can empathize. I took NBME 1 a month ago and scored a 204. I took NBME2 two weeks ago and scored a 226. I just took NBME3- scored a 204 again. To confuse things even more, I've been studing dilligently, doing 90 UWorld questions a day and listening to an hour of Goljan every evening for the past two weeks. What's going on? :mad:

NBME123456- I can empathize. I took NBME 1 a month ago and scored a 204. I took NBME2 two weeks ago and scored a 226. I just took NBME3- scored a 204 again. To confuse things even more, I've been studing dilligently, doing 90 UWorld questions a day and listening to an hour of Goljan every evening for the past two weeks. What's going on? :mad:

Similar situation here, took NMBE 2 and got a 232 then took NMBE 4 two weeks later and got a 212. I think that prooves I really am getting dumber by the day. Three weeks to go...

Anyone have any forms they recommend I take that would give me a better picture of where I stand?

Similar situation here, took NMBE 2 and got a 232 then took NMBE 4 two weeks later and got a 212. I think that prooves I really am getting dumber by the day. Three weeks to go...

Anyone have any forms they recommend I take that would give me a better picture of where I stand?

Why don't you try the UW self assessment test.

From what I've seen so far it has good predictive power, costs less than the NBMEs and you get the answers to the questions.

Took NBME 4 today. 254

after setting the "baseline" 10 days ago with NBME 3 I did worst. becoming dumber I guess. Personally, I thought NBME 4 was just weird. Questions were definitely tough

as for Uworld my past 4 sets (50 random, timed) are: 66, 80, 92, 100 :eek: (yes, I am as shocked as you are - just proves how random Uworld can be in generating sets, since I got in sixties the other day - I got lucky there)

cummulative avg: 82%; got 900 more questions to go (what a drag!..)

boooo NBME

Took NBME 4 today. 254

after setting the "baseline" 10 days ago with NBME 3 I did worst. becoming dumber I guess. Personally, I thought NBME 4 was just weird. Questions were definitely tough

as for Uworld my past 4 sets (50 random, timed) are: 66, 80, 92, 100 :eek: (yes, I am as shocked as you are - just proves how random Uworld can be in generating sets, since I got in sixties the other day - I got lucky there)

boooo NBME

Dude, 254...nothing to keep your head down about there. What are you shooting for?

its not a bad score - its just that people improve as they take NBMEs while I took a step back

shooting for 260+

There's not that much room to improve on a 262. Sounds like you're still on track with your most recent score.

Exactly. I think when you start hitting around that range (260+), you've basically hit a ceiling. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you suddenly dropped 40+ pts. A few points lower when you're that high, and I'd say you're more than on track. Keep up the good work!

5/11- Pre-study - NBME 1 - 490 (216)
5/25 after 2 weeks- NBME 2 - 630 (245)
5/31 3 weeks out - NBME 3 - 650 (248)
UW - 51% remaining, 65% correct.
Test date - 6/20

Feeling the plateau... Hopefully I am not burning out too early.

Took NBME 4 today. 254

boooo NBME

You aren't getting worse. That is the hardest test and when you are up so high your score will vary. Just make sure you cover your weak points, as evidenced by your variability in UW scores you are perfect in some areas and weaker in others.

Great avg tho and make sure you finish those questions!

I have been following this for a while.
Will be taking NBME 2 to establish baseline in few minutes and I will post my score.

An update on my progress,

I've taken 3 nbme's now,
NBME 1: 500 (220) before studying
NBME 2: 710 (257) 3 weeks from test
NBME 3: 730 (259) 2 weeks from test
USMLE World average 73% with 50% remaining

Overall my study period has been great, although I have to admit it's getting harder to stay motivated after doing well on the NBMEs, a part of me wants to schedule my test for a sooner date. After doing well on 2 I thought it may have been a fluke, but today's score on 3 made me feel better. I've actually learned something in these last two years!

Originally I was going to take NBME 4 next weekend, a week before my test, but at this point I don't know if it will be helpful or not. Any thoughts?

Took my last NBME today with a week to go. Hopefully I will end up have a ringing endorsement for the UWorld Self Assessment's accuracy in predicting scores...

NBME 5 - 230 (5 weeks out)
NBME 6 - 242 (4.5 weeks out)
NBME 3 - 245 (3 weeks out)
UWorld Self Assessment - 252 (2 weeks out)
NBME 4 - 245 (1 week out) Hated this test, FWIW...

Out of curiosity why do people seem to take the older 3 forms more often than the newer 3? Wouldn't the newer three better reflect the current questions used?

Out of curiosity why do people seem to take the older 3 forms more often than the newer 3? Wouldn't the newer three better reflect the current questions used?

One theory would be that some of the older tests (particular NBME 3 and 4) have correlated well with previous test takers, with regards to difficulty and overall score. Since the recent exams (NBME 5 and 6) have just come out, the sample size is comparatively small when trying to determine their predictive value.

You aren't getting worse. That is the hardest test and when you are up so high your score will vary. Just make sure you cover your weak points, as evidenced by your variability in UW scores you are perfect in some areas and weaker in others.

Great avg tho and make sure you finish those questions!

Wade my man!

Congrats on being done bro.

Yea, NBME 4 was tough in a weird way. I just didn't "like" this test. You know the boring/unhappy/why are they asking this kind of a question type of a feeling throughout the test. NBME 3 felt good - almost like taking a Uworld test. I guess 4 seemed foreign in some ways.

yea working on Behavioral science. lol. what a doozy those questions can be.

Yea, NBME 4 was tough in a weird way. I just didn't "like" this test. You know the boring/unhappy/why are they asking this kind of a question type of a feeling throughout the test. NBME 3 felt good - almost like taking a Uworld test. I guess 4 seemed foreign in some ways.

Wow! I thought it was just me. NBME 4 was a drag. And NBME 3 felt like UW, so my score was much better. Don't know why NBME 4 was soo weird tho?

Anyways, back to studying....!

I just took form 4 a few days ago and got a 190....

I got 3 weeks left to go, and aiming for a 240. I am kind of freaking out because I want to improve 50 points. Am I kidding myself???

:(

I just took form 4 a few days ago and got a 190....

I got 3 weeks left to go, and aiming for a 240. I am kind of freaking out because I want to improve 50 points. Am I kidding myself???

:(

I'm in the same boat as you. Got a 192 on nbme 5 last week and aiming for a 230 (not as ambitious as you, but I wouldn't mind a 240 lol). Just want you to know that there are probably a lot of people like you so you don't feel discouraged. Reading about people consistently getting 230+ freaks me out some times............

Got 3 weeks left. Thinking of pushing it back a week, even though that means I'll have no summer vacation left (not even a week).

Gonna take another nbme tomorrow. Looks like 4 is a beast, so maybe I'll take a 3 to give myself some false hope :smuggrin:

I'm in the same boat as you. Got a 192 on nbme 5 last week and aiming for a 230 (not as ambitious as you, but I wouldn't mind a 240 lol). Just want you to know that there are probably a lot of people like you so you don't feel discouraged. Reading about people consistently getting 230+ freaks me out some times............

Got 3 weeks left. Thinking of pushing it back a week, even though that means I'll have no summer vacation left (not even a week).

Gonna take another nbme tomorrow. Looks like 4 is a beast, so maybe I'll take a 3 to give myself some false hope :smuggrin:

4 is just odd, I can't really put my finger on why. Maybe it was because the whole time taking it my mind wanted to keep wandering, it's that type of test, you just get some straight forward questions and the tricky ones just seem to slip past without much acknowledgment. (At least for me anyhow.)

Keep plugging away and don't worry about the high score posts, it's a very small sample of people taking the test. I'd lay money there's 10 times more people with low scores reading than there are with high scores posting. Plus thanks to the magic of the internet everyone can be a high roller, watch:

:hardy:
Hey guys I just got a 2,800,000 on NMBE 3!!!! I'm so worried about the real thing!!! :scared:

I just took NBME, talk about frustrating.

NBME 5 = 510 (221) May 24, 3 weeks out.
NBME 3 = 520 (224) June 1, 2 weeks out.

My original goal was round about 240. I still haven't done Pharm or Embryo, Biostat, or behavioral science. So I'm hoping that I can atleast add 10 points to that, since it seems like if I wasn't guessing at the damn questions I'd be doing better.

I was hoping to be around 230 now, but I guess I don't have much control over that now. Oh well...I'm taking a solid portion of this day off, last one until June 16.

I've done almost all of Kaplan QBank, w/ 64% right. and I've done about 60% of Usmle World and Have about 65% right there. I figured that would correlate w/ a higher score than I'm getting.

I'm just hoping NBME 3 was WAY harder than 5 (which is how it seemed) and alittle less hard than my actual test.

Seconded. Keep pushing, Maria. It will pay off. I can assure you that not everyone starts out with 220s and 230s on their very first NBME with no prior Board study. There's no reason 3 weeks of hardcore studying cannot raise your score 30-40 points.

just took nbme 6 and got 580 (236). june 20 is my test date. just wondering for those who have taken form 6 what you thought about it in terms of content and difficulty to the other forms. i thought there were quite a few questions that were left field and i had no idea about them. i'm kinda worried that i might be hitting my potential since i took the csbe in march and my score was a 228 so i'm not improving that much :-(

similar boat here - 560 (232) on form 6, taken last week. one week earlier, 470 (211) using form 4.

i found 6 more clinical and 4 more basic sciency. anyone who has taken the real thing know which form is a better approximation?

thanks, good luck all

jhrugger

NBME 3 = 520 (224) June 1, 2 weeks out.

Right with you on that one:

Free 150 (before studying) = 74%
NBME 3 = 520 (224) June 1, 18 days out.

Still have to review Neuro, Endo, Repro, Heme and Pharm.....hoping to break 230. Part that worries me is that aside from Neuro, I did worse on sections that I had already studied (GI/Renal/Pulmonary).... :scared:

5/18 NBME 6 - 470/211 (baseline)
6/1 NBME 5 - 460/209 (w/2 weeks of studying)

The only thing I can say is that I got better in the things I studied- unfortunately, I seem to be regressing in those subjects yet to be studied.....

So I guess i'll add to the trend as well...

i have 28 days left till my exam.

Took NBME 4, 4-5 weeks ago-228
NBME 3, 3 weeks ago-226

Over the past few weeks, I've finished about 50% of Uworld and cum average is around 67&, but my most recent tests are probably averaging around 72ish.

Goal: 240+
Would be very happy with 235+ though.

I'm gonna hit up my weaknesses this week-behavioral, embryo, anatomy, and biostats. That'll put me through all the material one time.

I'll have 3 weeks starting next monday to go back and review.

Plan on taking NBME 6 next sunday-hoping to crack 230.

Good luck all.

for those getting 240 range, are you guys getting * in every section?

I just took nbme 6, got 13 of these * (i think it's 17 total categories) but still the numerical number is w/in 1SD of the mean. =(

this is especially frustrating since when going through 6, i thought for sure I was going to break 240 on it.

sad how in one nbme test i get * on a section, and on another test it might be borderline failing. :(

love the fact that this thread took off. i'll post my nbme form 2 here at the end of the week. gluck everyone!