How would AUA not accept me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kharkuss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for AUA med school, but my GPA is just shy of a 3.0 (2.97), and I did horribly in my Pre-Req's, but have retaken them and did exceptionally well, got all A's. Here is a quick look:

Bio 1: UW (My school makes you take Bio 2 first, so I had to take the UW)
Bio 2: F
Chem 1: C+
Chem 2: C
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: A
Bio 1 (retake): A
Bio 2 (retake): A
Physics 1: A
Cell Bio: A
Immunology: A
Micro Bio: A-

I took my MCAT and received a 25 (BS 9, PS 7, V 9). Will I have a chance of getting into AUA with these grades and a GPA that is BARELY 3.0 and an MCAT of 25? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply for AUA med school, but my GPA is just shy of a 3.0 (2.97), and I did horribly in my Pre-Req's, but have retaken them and did exceptionally well, got all A's. Here is a quick look:

I took my MCAT and received a 25 (BS 9, PS 7, V 9). Will I have a chance of getting into AUA with these grades and a GPA that is BARELY 3.0 and an MCAT of 25? :xf:

From what I have heard, you are a shoe in.

Members don't see this ad :)
retake the MCAT. See if you can get your grades up a little bit, do a lot of hospital volunteer hours, and try for DO schools, all your state MD schools, and then if you can't get into those after trying at least once, you could go for Caribbean. Most people can bring up MCAT scores if they study hard. IMHO the physics part is the easiest part to study for - it was my weak section but if you memorize a lot of the commonly tested stuff and learn test taking strategy, you can probably do better.

I echo what other people have said in this thread...Get your GPA 3.0+, retake the mcat and shoot for 27+ and apply to DO. I also think with your current stats you have a shot at AUC and SABA, which are better than AUA.

Hey, thanks for all of the tips and advice. I just registered for the Sept 10 MCAT, getting private tutoring from my biochem prof, and bought a ton of practice exams. I'm not sure if I want to do DO (no offense to any DO's), I would rather have the MD after my name, although I know there is no difference between the two, it is more of a personal choice. Again, thanks for the tips and advice!

Hey, thanks for all of the tips and advice. I just registered for the Sept 10 MCAT, getting private tutoring from my biochem prof, and bought a ton of practice exams. I'm not sure if I want to do DO (no offense to any DO's), I would rather have the MD after my name, although I know there is no difference between the two, it is more of a personal choice. Again, thanks for the tips and advice!

if you're not planning on applying DO then retaking the MCAT might be a waste of time. the standards for all carib schools except SGU are practically non-existent and you should have no problem getting into ross or AUA with your current stats. that being said going to the carribean is generally a very bad idea, especially if you are going there because you did poorly in undergrad and on the MCAT.

if you're not planning on applying DO then retaking the MCAT might be a waste of time. the standards for all carib schools except SGU are practically non-existent and you should have no problem getting into ross or AUA with your current stats. that being said going to the carribean is generally a very bad idea, especially if you are going there because you did poorly in undergrad and on the MCAT.

I wasn't planning on retaking my MCAT, I'm content with my 25. The CariCOM schools are probably a "bad idea", but considering their US-based curriculum, low tuition fees, "quicker" programs, such as Ross' 16 month MD program, and other factors, CariCOM schools aren't only for those who do bad in undergrad. I know a lot of people who had 3.5+ GPA and scored 28+ on their MCAT, but they are currently in CariCOM schools because they don't want to have $400k plus undergrad loans hovering over them.

I wasn't planning on retaking my MCAT, I'm content with my 25. The CariCOM schools are probably a "bad idea", but considering their US-based curriculum, low tuition fees, "quicker" programs, such as Ross' 16 month MD program, and other factors, CariCOM schools aren't only for those who do bad in undergrad. I know a lot of people who had 3.5+ GPA and scored 28+ on their MCAT, but they are currently in CariCOM schools because they don't want to have $400k plus undergrad loans hovering over them.

But they're ok with a $300K plus loan? cause the good carib schools aren't cheap about $50K a year. Although rent can be cheap, groceries are pretty pricy there. plus the good chance of not getting a residency coming from those schools you'd be a real idiot to turn down a US school offer for the carib.

the best carib schools has a match rate of about 70%, that's 70% of those that enter the match, match into a residency. This doesn't take account prematching but that's over. Compared to 98% match rate of US schools.

But they're ok with a $300K plus loan? cause the good carib schools aren't cheap about $50K a year. Although rent can be cheap, groceries are pretty pricy there. plus the good chance of not getting a residency coming from those schools you'd be a real idiot to turn down a US school offer for the carib.

the best carib schools has a match rate of about 70%, that's 70% of those that enter the match, match into a residency. This doesn't take account prematching but that's over. Compared to 98% match rate of US schools.

$30k/yr x 4=$120k v. $400k, makes a big difference. unless you want a competitive residency like derm, radiology, or ER, then carib isn't a problem. a lot of students are matching for anesthesiology now even, and thats a competitive field. if you want to match for family, internal, peds, even surgery now, then carib schools are your cheapest ways to getting there... and anyone can get at least a IM match

$30k/yr x 4=$120k v. $400k, makes a big difference. unless you want a competitive residency like derm, radiology, or ER, then carib isn't a problem. a lot of students are matching for anesthesiology now even, and thats a competitive field. if you want to match for family, internal, peds, even surgery now, then carib schools are your cheapest ways to getting there... and anyone can get at least a IM match

That's just tuition, they add a bunch of fees for processing to that which is another $5 to $6K per term, plus not to mention room and board, everything is mostly imported to these islands so the prices are double to to triple of what things cost in the US. Rent is anywhere from $600 to $1,000 a month and if you're renting you'll be paying for the full year even though you won't be there for a few months out of the year because of summer and winter breaks. Electricity and internet are also a lot more expensive on the islands, if you like to stay cool and use your AC then you'll be paying around $150 per month just for electricity, another $100 a month for DSL that's a decent speed so that you can use skype and download movies. Then flying home and back to school every semester can get expensive as well. Add all of that up and your yearly totally quickly becomes close to $50K a year which is what I said or around $200K plus ad whatever loans you have from undergrad which is about $50K to $100K for most and you get your $300K of debt like i mentioned. Remember the carib islands are 3rd world countries, a lot of the things you take for granted here in the US will be a luxury which people will expect you to pay extra for.

US med schools don't cost $100K a year, are you kidding. http://www.medicalschooladmission.com/nyu-school-of-medicine/
NYU medical school costs $28K a semester, that's the same as SGU, ROSS, and AUC, But 50% of NYU students get a grant or a scholarship which they don't have to pay back. A lot of the schools also have government funds with low interest rates, or cheaper tuition for in state residents. Most carib schools especially AUA only has private loans with interest rates of 18% or more and claim to have scholarships but only offer it to one person per year.

As for matching into a residency from a carib school compared to a US school there's no comparison. the 70% match rate is for SGU only. But still 30% don't match, each SGU class is around 450 people that's a graduating class of close to 900 (some fail out, some drop out, some transfer out), 30% of 900 is 270 students and a lot of times it's not that the students with the lowest grades and scores don't match. I know a lot SGU grads with good grads and board scores who couldn't match, they were simply not lucky enough.

if you look at other schools their match rate is well bellow 50%. The NRMP puts out a match outcome every year or so and shows how many people from different types of schools matched into a residency, they look at US seniors vs everyone else (DO's, IMGs and FMGs). And when looking at the percent of non-US seniors that match you'll see that it's around 50%, and that's for all residencies even peds, and FM. Do you really want to pay $200K and have a 50% chance of getting a residency (any residency)?

And what if you do a rotation in some specialty and fall in love with it, or worse yet you do a rotation in family medicine and end up hating it, but it's the only residency you can match into, then you'll be stuck at doing a residency in a field that you hate, and working your whole life in a job that you hate simply because you need a good job to pay off your debt which is accumulating at an 18% or more interest rate.

Residency programs give priority to US medical school grads first and whatever is left over goes to the carib students and everyone else. You gotta be smoking some really strong drugs to think that you have just as a good of a chance of getting a residency, any residency if you go to a carib school especially a school like AUA as compared to any US school. AUA isn't even an approved medical school in a lot of states, when you graduate from most carib schools you won't be able to practice in a lot of states because most of those schools aren't approved. And what then? what if one of those states is your home state, or a state where your husband/wife has a really good job offer but you can't move there because you won't be able to work as a doctor in that state, what then? you get a divorce? you tell your husband/wife you can't take that job? or you simply don't work as a physician?

The only med schools that you can practice in all 50 states after graduation are SGU, AUC, ROSS, and SABA, that's it. No one else, if people tell you otherwise they're either lying to you because they want your money or are miss informed themselves like you are.

As for surgery being easy to get? It's not, I would say general surgery is harder to get than EM, Anesthesia and maybe a little easier than radiology. Most of the matches into general surgery you see are only for the intern year (your first year of residency) and don't lead to any sort of certification or further training. Those spots are extremely easy to get because you're basically treated like a slave that year and do all the scut work. If you look at SGU's match list and you look at one class you'll see that maybe 50 or 60 people of the class matched into general surgery when looking at the PGY-1 year but then you flip to the pgy-2 year and you notice that only maybe 20 of those matches are actually for categorical surgery spots and not prelim spots.

How do I know all this? because I went to SGU, graduated from SGU and now I am a 2nd year Anesthesia resident at a university program in the mid-west.

I had to have USMLE scores that were 1 standard deviation above the average to get into residency and so did most of the people that match from SGU. The only reason we match is because our grades and scores are so much higher than our US counterparts, we work so much harder and that's how we're able to secure residencies at crappy, bottom of the barrel residency programs (for the most part). If I was a US grad with my grades, and step scores, I would be at a much better residency program than I am now.

There are articles out there that show SGU as having the highest USMLE pass rates in the carib. They compared SGU to other schools, The USMLE pass rates of other schools like AUA is around 60% that means 40% of the class will fail the USMLE, once you fail the USMLE your chance of matching into any residency drops by a very significant margin.

You're only a pre-med, a lot of the people giving you advice on these forums have gone to carib schools and graduated from them.

If you don't believe what I am saying to you go to www.valuemd.com talk to the current students in those carib schools, they'll tell you the same exact thing.

Yes a lot of people match coming from the big 4 carib schools, but what the schools don't tell you is how many start medical school and how many end up matching or even how many graduate.

SGU, ROSS, and AUC have graduating classes of about 1,000 students every year, but only list 500-600 matching residencies per year on their websites. that means around 300 to 500 students don't match per year. For US schools if more than 10 students don't match then that was a bad year for the school.

Really, there's no comparison between carib schools and US schools. Most of those attending carib schools right now would easily pay double if they had the chance of going to a US med school. They would even start all over and many who transfer have to repeat a year of med school.

So get your facts straight because this is your future and it's a lot of money. It would really suck to waste it and then find out you can't get a residency and can't get a well paying job to pay off your loans, and that does happen to some people every year.

Reactions: 1 user
And there's no such thing as a "quicker" med schools either. Just because you can graduate from some carib schools in 3.5 years vs 4 years you still won't be able to start residency early. Residencies start once a year on July1st and you apply for them on September 1st the previous year. So if you graduate from a carib school late and don't get your ECFMG certification (which can take a few weeks) before July1st you won't be able to start residency and will have to wait a whole year before you can start. So really there's no time advantage to carib schools either. You stll won't be able to start residency until 4 years after you start medical school.

Wow, this is a really fantastic post. Answers so many questions I've had and is from someone who actually went to a Caribbean med school. Thanks for answering some of my questions even though I'm not the OP.

That's just tuition, they add a bunch of fees for processing to that which is another $5 to $6K per term, plus not to mention room and board, everything is mostly imported to these islands so the prices are double to to triple of what things cost in the US. Rent is anywhere from $600 to $1,000 a month and if you're renting you'll be paying for the full year even though you won't be there for a few months out of the year because of summer and winter breaks. Electricity and internet are also a lot more expensive on the islands, if you like to stay cool and use your AC then you'll be paying around $150 per month just for electricity, another $100 a month for DSL that's a decent speed so that you can use skype and download movies. Then flying home and back to school every semester can get expensive as well. Add all of that up and your yearly totally quickly becomes close to $50K a year which is what I said or around $200K plus ad whatever loans you have from undergrad which is about $50K to $100K for most and you get your $300K of debt like i mentioned. Remember the carib islands are 3rd world countries, a lot of the things you take for granted here in the US will be a luxury which people will expect you to pay extra for.

US med schools don't cost $100K a year, are you kidding. http://www.medicalschooladmission.com/nyu-school-of-medicine/
NYU medical school costs $28K a semester, that's the same as SGU, ROSS, and AUC, But 50% of NYU students get a grant or a scholarship which they don't have to pay back. A lot of the schools also have government funds with low interest rates, or cheaper tuition for in state residents. Most carib schools especially AUA only has private loans with interest rates of 18% or more and claim to have scholarships but only offer it to one person per year.

As for matching into a residency from a carib school compared to a US school there's no comparison. the 70% match rate is for SGU only. But still 30% don't match, each SGU class is around 450 people that's a graduating class of close to 900 (some fail out, some drop out, some transfer out), 30% of 900 is 270 students and a lot of times it's not that the students with the lowest grades and scores don't match. I know a lot SGU grads with good grads and board scores who couldn't match, they were simply not lucky enough.

if you look at other schools their match rate is well bellow 50%. The NRMP puts out a match outcome every year or so and shows how many people from different types of schools matched into a residency, they look at US seniors vs everyone else (DO's, IMGs and FMGs). And when looking at the percent of non-US seniors that match you'll see that it's around 50%, and that's for all residencies even peds, and FM. Do you really want to pay $200K and have a 50% chance of getting a residency (any residency)?

And what if you do a rotation in some specialty and fall in love with it, or worse yet you do a rotation in family medicine and end up hating it, but it's the only residency you can match into, then you'll be stuck at doing a residency in a field that you hate, and working your whole life in a job that you hate simply because you need a good job to pay off your debt which is accumulating at an 18% or more interest rate.

Residency programs give priority to US medical school grads first and whatever is left over goes to the carib students and everyone else. You gotta be smoking some really strong drugs to think that you have just as a good of a chance of getting a residency, any residency if you go to a carib school especially a school like AUA as compared to any US school. AUA isn't even an approved medical school in a lot of states, when you graduate from most carib schools you won't be able to practice in a lot of states because most of those schools aren't approved. And what then? what if one of those states is your home state, or a state where your husband/wife has a really good job offer but you can't move there because you won't be able to work as a doctor in that state, what then? you get a divorce? you tell your husband/wife you can't take that job? or you simply don't work as a physician?

The only med schools that you can practice in all 50 states after graduation are SGU, AUC, ROSS, and SABA, that's it. No one else, if people tell you otherwise they're either lying to you because they want your money or are miss informed themselves like you are.

As for surgery being easy to get? It's not, I would say general surgery is harder to get than EM, Anesthesia and maybe a little easier than radiology. Most of the matches into general surgery you see are only for the intern year (your first year of residency) and don't lead to any sort of certification or further training. Those spots are extremely easy to get because you're basically treated like a slave that year and do all the scut work. If you look at SGU's match list and you look at one class you'll see that maybe 50 or 60 people of the class matched into general surgery when looking at the PGY-1 year but then you flip to the pgy-2 year and you notice that only maybe 20 of those matches are actually for categorical surgery spots and not prelim spots.

How do I know all this? because I went to SGU, graduated from SGU and now I am a 2nd year Anesthesia resident at a university program in the mid-west.

I had to have USMLE scores that were 1 standard deviation above the average to get into residency and so did most of the people that match from SGU. The only reason we match is because our grades and scores are so much higher than our US counterparts, we work so much harder and that's how we're able to secure residencies at crappy, bottom of the barrel residency programs (for the most part). If I was a US grad with my grades, and step scores, I would be at a much better residency program than I am now.

There are articles out there that show SGU as having the highest USMLE pass rates in the carib. They compared SGU to other schools, The USMLE pass rates of other schools like AUA is around 60% that means 40% of the class will fail the USMLE, once you fail the USMLE your chance of matching into any residency drops by a very significant margin.

You're only a pre-med, a lot of the people giving you advice on these forums have gone to carib schools and graduated from them.

If you don't believe what I am saying to you go to www.valuemd.com talk to the current students in those carib schools, they'll tell you the same exact thing.

Yes a lot of people match coming from the big 4 carib schools, but what the schools don't tell you is how many start medical school and how many end up matching or even how many graduate.

SGU, ROSS, and AUC have graduating classes of about 1,000 students every year, but only list 500-600 matching residencies per year on their websites. that means around 300 to 500 students don't match per year. For US schools if more than 10 students don't match then that was a bad year for the school.

Really, there's no comparison between carib schools and US schools. Most of those attending carib schools right now would easily pay double if they had the chance of going to a US med school. They would even start all over and many who transfer have to repeat a year of med school.

So get your facts straight because this is your future and it's a lot of money. It would really suck to waste it and then find out you can't get a residency and can't get a well paying job to pay off your loans, and that does happen to some people every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
11u9qht.jpg

I applaud you sir [or madam]
Great post

$30K/yr? that's probably some carib school that's not even accredited. schools like SGU are ~50K/year (just tuition). which is equal to or way higher than many US schools.

Amazing post, RussianJoo.

I'm bookmarking this. It should probably be stickied, but that's not up to me.

I've always been sympathetic to the plight of the US IMG, and I applaud those of you who work hard and overcome such big obstacles.

Coming from a private US allopathic school, I can say that the debt can be suffocating. I would definitely not underestimate this factor. I guess I should feel lucky that the bulk of my debt is in low-interest federal loans.

I went to SGU, graduated from SGU and now I am a 2nd year Anesthesia resident

And yet for all your bitterness and complaining, you are still an anesthesiologist. Wow!!! You will soon be making some serious money, even if you end up working in a mid-sized city for a hospital that nobody has ever heard of. Considering all the undergrad students who weren't able to get into ANY med schools, this is outstanding! Congratulations!

In my community there are a handful of practicing MD's who went to Caribbean schools. They are well respected by their peers and by the community. That I know of, there is an allergy and respiratory specialist (sorry, don't know the official name), an ER doc, a general surgeon, and a couple family practitioners and generalists at the VA and family clinics. Most of the community doesn't care where they went to school, and their peers only care that they are competent, which they all are.

We have a personal friend and a radiologist who is on the recruiting board for his group. He explained that there is such a shortage of MD's in general but also radiologist that they simply are not able to fill all their slots. When they consider candidates they want to bring out for an interview they really don't care where they did their residency. They will look at someone from John H. or Mayo just as quickly as someone from Podunk hospital in Iowa. And they really don't care where he or she went to med school. What they look at is letters of recommendation, feedback, etc. And either way, the radiologists they hire will soon be on partner track and will eventually earn $500,000/year plus. And this is in a small town in Minnesota about an hour northwest of the Twin Cities.

Will you have to work harder than US students to get the same residencies? Of course. Will you end up at top residencies like Mayo? Maybe, but don't count on it. Will you need to be in the top 50% of your class to stand a chance of getting placed at all? Most likely. Will you ever end up being a world famous cardiothoracic surgeon? Ummm, no.

But...

Is this an avenue to fulfill your dream of becoming an MD? Can it provide you with a rewarding career with an extremely comfortable lifestyle? Can you become a physician who is well respected by your peers and the community?

Yes. Yes. And yes.

And yet for all your bitterness and complaining, you are still an anesthesiologist. Wow!!! You will soon be making some serious money, even if you end up working in a mid-sized city for a hospital that nobody has ever heard of. Considering all the undergrad students who weren't able to get into ANY med schools, this is outstanding! Congratulations!

In my community there are a handful of practicing MD's who went to Caribbean schools. They are well respected by their peers and by the community. That I know of, there is an allergy and respiratory specialist (sorry, don't know the official name), an ER doc, a general surgeon, and a couple family practitioners and generalists at the VA and family clinics. Most of the community doesn't care where they went to school, and their peers only care that they are competent, which they all are.

We have a personal friend and a radiologist who is on the recruiting board for his group. He explained that there is such a shortage of MD's in general but also radiologist that they simply are not able to fill all their slots. When they consider candidates they want to bring out for an interview they really don't care where they did their residency. They will look at someone from John H. or Mayo just as quickly as someone from Podunk hospital in Iowa. And they really don't care where he or she went to med school. What they look at is letters of recommendation, feedback, etc. And either way, the radiologists they hire will soon be on partner track and will eventually earn $500,000/year plus. And this is in a small town in Minnesota about an hour northwest of the Twin Cities.

Will you have to work harder than US students to get the same residencies? Of course. Will you end up at top residencies like Mayo? Maybe, but don't count on it. Will you need to be in the top 50% of your class to stand a chance of getting placed at all? Most likely. Will you ever end up being a world famous cardiothoracic surgeon? Ummm, no.

But...

Is this an avenue to fulfill your dream of becoming an MD? Can it provide you with a rewarding career with an extremely comfortable lifestyle? Can you become a physician who is well respected by your peers and the community?

Yes. Yes. And yes.

First of all who said I am bitter? You basically said the same thing I did. If you go to a carib med school, you must work harder than your US med student counter parts, and have better grades. And then still you'll be lucky to land a residency in any program or worse yet in any specialty that will take you. And you have to be better than 50% of your classmates because about 50% of carib med students won't get a residency. So don't expect to go to the carib and do a Dermatology residency at Mass General, or anywhere in North America for that matter.

As for your statement about being a carib med student, you're right as long as you speak english and aren't too foreign looking people will think you went to a US med school and no one will care where you went to school,.

As for your radiology friend. I really hate to break it to you, and I am really truly sorry for the hard news but you live in Podunk Minnesota. And it's well Radiology. On average a radiologist will probably make $50-100K less in a desirable city, like NYC, Maimi, LA, San Fran, Chicago, Boston just to name a few. But radiologists make significantly more money than most professions.

I am extremely lucky to have matched into any anesthesiology residency. And although I won't be making close to what some anesthesiologists are and have been making for the last 10+ years, I am still extremely happy because I'll be doing what I've wanted to do since high school and that's pretty cool. I'll probably be starting at around $250K and won't make that much more.

I really hate to break it to you, and I am really truly sorry for the hard news but you live in Podunk Minnesota.

Ummm..... you're not breaking anything to me. I know this. And that was my point. MD's who live in Podunk, Midwest can still make serious money.

He hasn't told me what he makes, but when I mentioned someone who earned $600k/year, he commented that he didn't make that kind of money until he became a partner. And this is the same guy who said they don't care what school their recruits went to, or where they did their residency.

My whole point is that going to a med school in the Caribbean doesn't mean you are doomed to a miserable career working as a broke, depressed underpaid, un-respected quack in a roach infested, fly-by-night firm that only serves undocumented immigrants. Of course I'm being silly to make a point, but your long post above struck me as a little on the negative side.

I repeat: Will you become a world famous cardiothoracic surgeon? No. Can it provide you with a rewarding career as an MD with an extremely comfortable lifestyle?

Absolutely.

Ummm..... you're not breaking anything to me. I know this. And that was my point. MD's who live in Podunk, Midwest can still make serious money.

He hasn't told me what he makes, but when I mentioned someone who earned $600k/year, he commented that he didn't make that kind of money until he became a partner. And this is the same guy who said they don't care what school their recruits went to, or where they did their residency.

My whole point is that going to a med school in the Caribbean doesn't mean you are doomed to a miserable career working as a broke, depressed underpaid, un-respected quack in a roach infested, fly-by-night firm that only serves undocumented immigrants. Of course I'm being silly to make a point, but your long post above struck me as a little on the negative side.

I repeat: Will you become a world famous cardiothoracic surgeon? No. Can it provide you with a rewarding career as an MD with an extremely comfortable lifestyle?

Absolutely.

yeah two years ago 2 grads from my program went to work in North Dakota they were making about $500k a year, but it's north Dakota, the most expensive and nicest restaurant there was a TGI Friday's. Most people don't want to live in places like this, that's why they have to pay the docs so much in order to keep them there.

People pick their jobs mostly based on three things, Location, Money, Vacation, you're lucky to get 2 of the 3.

yeah two years ago 2 grads from my program went to work in North Dakota they were making about $500k a year, but it's north Dakota, the most expensive and nicest restaurant there was a TGI Friday's. Most people don't want to live in places like this, that's why they have to pay the docs so much in order to keep them there.

People pick their jobs mostly based on three things, Location, Money, Vacation, you're lucky to get 2 of the 3.

We're getting off topic from the OP, but....

I'm with you on ND. Yuck. But MN is not ND. We have and abundance of lakes, woods, and rivers. And just an hour away is the Twin Cities with all the culture, theater, and restaurants you'd want. I love it here. Our friend the MD has all three: He loves where he lives, he makes good money, and he gets 20 weeks of vacation a year.

Back on topic...

I created a new post outlining the conclusions of what my wife and I have found while considering her application to AUC. It's here.

This is for OP who asked about going to AUA. My advice is to ignore anyone who went to a Carib med school and tells others not to. Suspect+
Yes, it is true that you will need to work your butt off, but that's true for ANY med school. And don't worry if you look/sound like you stepped off the boat like 55,000 Indian origin doctors in the US do. But you probably look/sound just like any other American, so no worries. OP's concerns are misplaced on this score.

BTW, AUA just got approved for the Cali List. :p

Last edited:
ignore anyone who went to a Carib med school and tells others not to. Suspect+

I agree. I keep looking at the end result.

• I've met and had conversations with practicing MD's who are leaders in their field. They have no regrets about where they went to school. Everyone says that once you are practicing in a clinic or hospital, where you went to school is a non-issue.

• If your goal is to end up at some place like The Mayo Clinic, then the Caribbean may not be a viable option. But if you are considering the Caribbean then you are not going to get into the top MD schools in the States anyway.

I agree. I keep looking at the end result.

• I've met and had conversations with practicing MD's who are leaders in their field. They have no regrets about where they went to school. Everyone says that once you are practicing in a clinic or hospital, where you went to school is a non-issue.

• If your goal is to end up at some place like The Mayo Clinic, then the Caribbean may not be a viable option. But if you are considering the Caribbean then you are not going to get into the top MD schools in the States anyway.

Yes, but your talking to the people that made it. That's selection bias isn't it? For every person that has made it to the point of practicing medicine, there are 3 that couldn't pass their classes, couldn't pass their boards, or couldn't match into residency.

I would do DO, tip on physical science do problems first then go back to passage for the ones you dont know.

U should not use you not taking Bio 1 before 2 as an excuse for W, it my school FAu we do the same and I took Bio 2 first got a B+, B in lab and the Bio 1 and got A in both lecture and lab.

We're getting off topic from the OP, but....

I'm with you on ND. Yuck. But MN is not ND. We have and abundance of lakes, woods, and rivers. And just an hour away is the Twin Cities with all the culture, theater, and restaurants you'd want. I love it here. Our friend the MD has all three: He loves where he lives, he makes good money, and he gets 20 weeks of vacation a year.

Back on topic...

I created a new post outlining the conclusions of what my wife and I have found while considering her application to AUC. It's here.

I grew up 20min outside of NYC, to be honest most cities including the twin cities are like a small town when compared to NYC. I live downtown of a major midwest city right now and it's like a village, I am totally surprised at the lack of traffic or people outside, even during the summers. My small 20K people town in NJ has more traffic jams and more people walking around than the city i live in now. kind of pathetic, I've been to the twin cities and it's roughly the same, cultural events and restaurants don't compare to NYC.

Did you end up going to AUA?