How Usefull Is An Md/mba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyphool

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, so I was considering trying to do an md/mba program and have some things to consider. I was a business major as an undergraduate. To be honest I am not sure what I want to do. I recnetly began working in finance right now as an analyst and am studying for the mcats at the same time. The routes that an md/mba degree does not seem very vast. MD/MBAs seem like a very rare breed. Either way at the end youll have to commit to working in only one of those fields.

The opportunities I see for the MD/MBA are either hospital admistration or biotechnology in finance. So if you were solely interested in getting your md just to go into biotechnology(finance) how much more of an edge do you have on someone that doesnt have an md degree in terms of position and salary? By the time you have both degrees a person not pursuing an md would have already been promoted to vice president. Also, if you decide to do hospital administration, how much more of an edge do you have on someone that doesnt have an md degree in terms of position and salary?

What types of hospital administration work is out there? What are their primary responsibilities? How is the pay?

Is it necessary to go to a top tier mba program?

Just a few things on my mind.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

actually the opportunities for MD/MBAs are not restricted to hospital administration or financial management. I know some of them are deans at medical schools, serve as department chairs, work with managed care companies etc.

If you have a business background, your opportunities in the medical field will be augmented by the MD. However, I know several CEOs and Presidents who have no MD, but have MBAs and serve in healthcare systems.

hospital administration mostly consists of positions like Board of Trustees, President, VP, CEO, CFO, COO and CMO (Chief Medical Officer for the MD/MBAs) at the tertiary level of management. These people usually earn around 175-200K depending on the company.

For the MD/MBA, it is not necessary to get the MBA at a top tier program, because there is a shortage of MD/MBAs in the country...so a MD/MBA graduate from an institution of decent reputation should be able to find a good position.

i also want to point out that MBA does not explicitly = finance. it's also the study of management of people and resources. this will come in very handy as chief attending or dept chair(the chair of wash u's radiation oncology is an md/mba, i believe). getting an md/mba is not an either/or proposition where you either make use of the md or the mba but not both.

for finance/consulting for top companies, top 10 mba is the only mba that counts. if you just want the skills of an mba, top 25 should serve you fine.