How tough is the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZTCM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and happy holidays everyone!

I have yet to take the OAT. Is it as tough as everybody says it is. Honestly, how much do you actually recall from lecture that is even on the exam...mainly the science, biology, and chemistry aspects. How was the reading and the rest of the exam? Did anyone have to guess a lot? I noticed that the OAT is offered online now. Is that an advantage? Is there a time limt per section online? I am really nervous as you can tell. Shouldn't be, since I will be taking it in the comfort of my own home. Any opioins or advice would be greatly appreciated. Later..........................

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the OAT in the comfort of your own home??

I'm pretty sure that is a mistake...I took mine in May and had to go to a testing center. They are very strict about what you bring in with you (obviously no notes or calculators) and you can't discuss the test with others. Heck, if you could take the OAT in your own home, what would stop you from using a calculator on the QR part? Sure would make it easier! MZTCM - I would suggest checking the policies in the OAT examinee guide https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_examinee_guide.pdf.

Members don't see this ad :)
iowaeyes is right, although you do now have to take the OAT 'online', it must be from a testing centre where someone can watch over you!

As to it being easy or hard, i think it depends a lot on when you took the relevant undergrad courses and how well you did in them. If you just aced two organic chemistry courses the year before the exam, for example, then that section should be easy.

Personally, I hated the physics section, but I thought the RC and biology sections were fine. It just depends what you like and what you're good at. Overall it's long, stressfull, but not TOO traumatizing, as long as you study hard and are prepared.

Good luck!

Thanks For The Info Guys! I Thought By It Being Online, That You Could Take It At Home. Duh! Well, I Definitely Learned Something New. I Am Still Awhile From Taking It, But I Hope To Do As Well As You Future Optometrists.