How to write about your experiences in PostbacCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yarida

Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding what adcoms for post-bacc programs want written in my experience section. On PostbacCAS, it gives me 600 characters for "Description/Key Responsibilities." I'm wondering if I should plainly list my experience description like a resume, include an anecdote with a big takeaway, or have a mix of both? Many of the postbacc programs ask for a CV/resume anyway so it almost feels redundant plainly listing my responsibilities. I don't know if I should be treating these sections like the work and activities section in AMCAS too, which already has mixed opinions on how it should be written.

Members don't see this ad.

Include brief anecdote (can range from 1-3 sentences) and add reflection. You can describe the kind of work briefly in the anecdote, but unless your work is super unique there isn't really a need to go to in depth. ADCOMs will know what a medical scribe, MA, etc... does. The anecdote should set the tone for what you want to reflect on. Also try to be concise, specific, and most importantly honest.

These concepts worked for me to get into 3 post-bacc/SMP Programs, and I think its pretty good general advice to follow. However, at the end of the day they're just suggestions. Don't get too wrapped up in following a format and push a narrative of some sort.

Reactions: 1 user