How to use TBR??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnzymaticFuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m very confused on how to to use TBR books properly. I’m using them to study for Chem and Physics. Lots of their passages have new matieral that i haven’t reviewed and they contain various phases per chapter. How should i approach this?

@BerkReviewTeach do you or anyone else mind giving me a brief overview on how to use TBR?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this will help.

There are two ways to get the most out of the books. The first approach is to emphasize the passages, looking back at the reading section as needed. Learn via trial by error, not concerning yourself with scores on the homework. The second approach is to read the text portion of each section and make one to two pages of notes that include all short cuts, tricks, mnemonics, important definitions, and summaries. Keep those notes handy as you do the homework phases.

Approach 1:
Start by doing Phase 1 homework for chapter 1 (Translational Motion in Physics and Stoichiometry in General Chemistry.) Do those 25 questions methodically, taking notes on each passage and every question as you go. For any questions you are uncertain on, rank the answer choices 1 through 4. When you are all done, walk away for about five minutes. When you come back, grade it quickly, not looking at any explanations. Try any questions you got wrong again, this time with three answer choices. Now go back and grade yourself. For any question you got wrong or felt uncertain on, read through the explanation and then try the question again, this time taking notes on how you answer it. This should help commit the pathway to an answer to your memory, rather than the answer. Learning the pathway to a best answer is essential. Once you have done this, then go back and read any sections in the chapter you think might help. Keep in mind that about ten percent of questions in the homework come from a totally different chapter. This is done to both keep you on your toes and to serve as an ongoing review of older material as you reach the later chapters in the books.

Give it a few days and then do Phase 2 for the chapter. Phase 2 is all about timing. Set a timer you can watch count down as you do the second phase. Make note of where you are at when time expires. These questions are designed to be longer than Phase 1 and to stress you out a little. This is part of your training. Grade them the same way you did Phase 1.

Do Phase 3 homework about two to three weeks later, allowing you time to forget some of that is fresh during Phases 1 and 2. This is meant to help you prepare for how you will feel on the actual MCAT. Phase 3 passages have many experiments, data tables, and convoluted questions. Before Phase 3 passages, reread your notes for the chapters in the book you are using. Don't spend too much time, just enough to scratch your memory. Once you have done these passages, you should go immediately to the answer explanations and this time take minimal notes on any questions you missed. If you misread a question, rewrite it. If you missed a math question write the formula you should have used and try the calculation in your head. The big thing with Phase 3 is to hone your testing skills.

Approach 2:
Approach 2 is essentially the same as Approach 1 for the second and this homework phases. The biggest difference is that you are reading each chapter first. The goal is to keep a running list of strategies, formulas, and tricks. For instance, when you get to lenses, the thin lens equation will be rewritten into an easier to use format. Write that down on your note page, along with the quick summary of what to do with diverging (concave) lenses, converging (convex) lenses, diverging (convex) mirrors, and converging (concave) mirrors. Use that page as you do Phase 1, adding to it as you do homework. Phases 1, 2, and 3 should be done as listed above.

You are going to get beaten up by some of the homework sets. Do not let this get you down, as the homework is designed to help you develop as a test taker, not to give you an accurate score of where you are at. The average student will get 56% correct on phase 1s, 62% correct on Phase 2s, 67% correct on Phase 3s, and 128s on the science sections (C/P and B/B). Getting so many homework questions wrong is part of your development, and while it may upset you and demoralize you at times, it's a big part of your growth.

Good luck with the books!

Reactions: 1 users