How to thank LOR writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obbyjobby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to see how you all were thanking your letter writers. I kind of want to give a small gift (REALLY simple -- like a small box of nice chocolates or something) but do ya'll think it's better to forego the gift and just hand them a thank you note by itself? Does anyone have any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to see how you all were thanking your letter writers. I kind of want to give a small gift (REALLY simple -- like a small box of nice chocolates or something) but do ya'll think it's better to forego the gift and just hand them a thank you note by itself? Does anyone have any ideas?

i did chocolate truffles + thank you note. thank you notes are so commonplace that i think you need a little something extra. godiva and joseph schmitt are the most 'gift like'. i had friends that did flowers/small potted plants (female letter writters only). a lb of nice coffee (starbucks/pete's) is also a good idea. nothing too extravagant though.

Something homebaked wouldn't seem too over-the-top (that is if you have someone to bake). I'm having a hard time with this as well because most food gifts I think of have sugar and one of husband's letter writers is diabetic. Coffee is a good idea.

i think a thank-you is sufficient ... but thats just me. by working for a teaching hospital or choosing to accept students, writing LORs becomes part of the job, a job they get paid well for. besides, i think it sounds a little like a$$ kissing. but again, thats just me.

i think it sounds a little like a$$ kissing. but again, thats just me.

:thumbup:

did chocolate truffles + thank you note. thank you notes are so commonplace that i think you need a little something extra. godiva and joseph schmitt are the most 'gift like'. i had friends that did flowers/small potted plants (female letter writters only). a lb of nice coffee (starbucks/pete's) is also a good idea. nothing too extravagant though.

All this is fine if you don't mind bribing someone.

Best way to thank- Just kick their da*n butts.

if you give it to them after the letter had been submitted, how is it "bribing" or "ass-kissing?" i think it is a nice thing to do as long as it isnt too expensive. i agree that is not necessary at all. i dont really think a card is necessary. but it is definately a nice thing to do and something i think of which they will be very appreciative.