switching into IM residency after intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to switch from Rad Onc into the IM residency program at the institution where I do my intern year in medicine for Rad Onc? Ostensibly, this is easier than going from IM to Rad Onc, but I'm not sure how feasible it is regardless. How many PGY2 IM spots are available at well-reputed program?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible based on your performance, but I wouldn't count on a PGY-2 spot being available to you. You'd probably have to repeat PGY-1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How difficult would it be to switch from Rad Onc into the IM residency program at the institution where I do my intern year in medicine for Rad Onc? Ostensibly, this is easier than going from IM to Rad Onc, but I'm not sure how feasible it is regardless. How many PGY2 IM spots are available at well-reputed program?

Why do you want to switch? Rad onc is an awesome field.

It is common for there to be open PGY-2 spots at good programs. People change their mind. Your home program might be able to flex and find a spot for you -- I sometimes have a "partial slot", usually created by someone being off cycle. For a good internal candidate, I can usually convince GME to let me fill it. Note that you'll need a match waiver to do so, and you'd need to decide before Jan 15th.