Medical How to succeed as a non-trad in Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a URM first gen. non-trad from PA. My dream school is Upenn but happy anywhere in philly (temple/drexel/jefferson) for md. Starting my career changer post bacc soon. Considering I'll have a 3.5cum 3.8> sci if all goes well, and my MCAT is in the median range, what are my chances if I won't have any research experience? Ik Upenn is a research heavy school. Does Penn take non-trads without research experience? If you're a student that fits that description, could I connect with you? Thank you!
Bottom line, 3.5 would be significantly below average for UPenn. Even with a median MCAT and URM status, you will need *something* that makes your app stand out and give them a reason to think you would excel. It doesn't have to be research, but you need a plan.

Realistically, if you have a 3.5 with "average" MCAT the other schools that you listed are more likely landing spots, and you should also consider other nearby schools unless you're truly tied to the region, ie, spouse has a great job that they cannot move with.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind the that Cooper (MD) is also just across the river to Philly. And in addition there is PCOM and Rowan for DO with PCOM in Philly basically down the street from Drexel, and Rowan about a 30 minute drive from philly with access via Patco (train station is about 2-3 blocks distance from the school campus and hospital.

As a non-trad with a 3.5 GPA and no MCAT yet who seems to want to stay in/near philly, I'd add those schools as well.

Yea, RowanSOM (one of 2 Rowan medical schools) is DO in Stratford just off Rt 30 which would be where the Voorhees Patco stop is. The other Rowan school is Cooper which is MD and in Camden. And the PCOM is DO and located off of City ave, a mere 3 minutes from Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls (where Drexel Med is).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my story is compelling as I'm coming from death-row work in my inspiration to become a doctor / starting EMT work for clinical experience. What kinds of things do you mean in giving them a reason to excel? Like prior work/volunteer experience or something related to academics like a strong MCAT score? Thank you for your response I appreciate it!
Everyone applying to med school has some sort of compelling story. When you're scraping the top of the top schools, everyone has a compelling story and immaculate stats, and often something *extra* like research or major leadership or something like that.

It's kind of a moot point because there are clearly other schools nearby that you seem interested in as well. By all means apply and see what happens, but make sure you include all of the other schools mentioned above too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.