How to study with a pre-clerkship curriculum of 1.5 yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulkas

Witness.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much been chilling all summer but school is starting in less than two weeks for me. With the first day of school fast approaching, I am wondering if y'all have advice or tips on studying strategies in a p/f school with an integrated pre-clerkship curriculum? I definitely want to do well in classes but at the end of the day I am more concerned about step 1. Having said that, I would also really appreciate advice on how you prepared yourself for step 1 with this kind of curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Get ready to drink a stream of scientific information from a fire hose.

Be ready to study harder than you ever have. Once you find out what works for you, it will take less time for you to learn the same amount of material. Individual techniques are very person dependent, and I would recommend finding something that works for you on your own.

I was pretty much expecting this. Thanks anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Step 1: At my 18-month preclinical school, the upperclassmen encouraged us to start studying the relevant parts of First Aid when we hit that material in class for the last 12 months of preclinical.

Regarding Step 1: At my 18-month preclinical school, the upperclassmen encouraged us to start studying the relevant parts of First Aid when we hit that material in class for the last 12 months of preclinical.

I'm in the same position as the OP. I'm wondering how exactly to work with First Aid during those last 12 months of preclinical. Would that be a good time to have a new copy of the latest edition, and start annotating, even though we won't really be heavily into Step 1 prep by then?

Reactions: 1 user
Bump. Anyone else willing to post about their experiences or share some tips?

I'm in the same position as the OP. I'm wondering how exactly to work with First Aid during those last 12 months of preclinical. Would that be a good time to have a new copy of the latest edition, and start annotating, even though we won't really be heavily into Step 1 prep by then?

Yes, but a new edition in Jan, annotate it as you learn the material for class. By then you should have an idea of how the tests run, whether they are based on readings, ppts, etc. study hard, keep having a life, and enjoy the ride.

Yes, but a new edition in Jan, annotate it as you learn the material for class. By then you should have an idea of how the tests run, whether they are based on readings, ppts, etc. study hard, keep having a life, and enjoy the ride.

probably wouldn't annotate FA with class stuff if I were you, just causes information overload

probably wouldn't annotate FA with class stuff if I were you, just causes information overload

You just need discipline when you're annotating FA. You can't put everything in there, but if you pick out the most high-yield sounding facts from your lectures that aren't in FA, it'll help. However, if you're writing out the exact gene loci on every disease (besides the ones that you were required to remember like all the leukemia/lymphomas) in FA you're doing it wrong.

I have pretty much been chilling all summer but school is starting in less than two weeks for me. With the first day of school fast approaching, I am wondering if y'all have advice or tips on studying strategies in a p/f school with an integrated pre-clerkship curriculum? I definitely want to do well in classes but at the end of the day I am more concerned about step 1. Having said that, I would also really appreciate advice on how you prepared yourself for step 1 with this kind of curriculum.

Best advice (take with a grain of salt) is to buy the new edition of FA, which is released in December each year. During Aug-Dec of first year, just chill out and learn material casually without worrying about annotating FA. When the new version comes out, then start to annotate YOUR MNEMONICS ONLY into FA. AKA write out little phrases/mnemonics that help you to memorize stuff so that when you study the stuff later, you can just look at your mnemonics and be like "oh yea that's so easy...i remember it."

Annotating class notes is worthless because you don't know what's high yield until you start doing UWORLD/actually studying for step.

I noticed that you're starting at UVA this Thursday....good luck man and you'll be fine!!!

Shoot me a msg if you want more personalized info/study tips (I'm a current M3 at UVA).

I would love to learn more about this 1.5-year preclinical approach.

Anyone whose school does this willing to post a summary of the courses?

I think you are going to be a first year at my school based on the information you gave..My advice: worry about not failing first, then worry about step 1.

I would love to learn more about this 1.5-year preclinical approach.

Anyone whose school does this willing to post a summary of the courses?

Our pre-clerkship curriculum has changed a bit over the past 3 years since they initiated the 18-month curriculum, but here's a general overview.

Molecular and Cellular Medicine - Basically encompasses all the really basic science you need to know, including basic pharmacology (pharmakinetics, etc), biochemistry, cell biology, metabolism, etc. It has variably been split so that immunology is here or with the microbiology section.

Microbes - Basically, learning the basics of pathogens, including viruses, bacteria, and parasites, with minimal information about fungi. We end up revisiting most of these pathogens in the individual systems, so this is mostly just to give an overview and an introduction to antimicrobials.

Musculoskeletal - The beginnings of hard-core anatomy, where we focus on the anatomy of the extremities. Some sports med and Ortho is also tossed in here for clinical focus. Derm is variably represented here and in molecular and cellular medicine as well.

Mind, Brain, and Behavior - Psych, Neuro, and other development. With how much they have broken up the basic science, this is now the longest system.

GI - GI anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and pathology.

Then we break for summer, which lasts anywhere from 7 to 10 weeks, depending on what year you went through the system.

After summer break, we do Renal, Pulmonary, and Cardiac systems similar to GI. Endocrine and Reproduction is similar, but has a more whole body approach than the others for obvious reasons, and we round out second year with Hematology, which has a lot of emphasis on things that we learned in molecular and cellular medicine first year (especially with the porphyrias and thalassemias, etc).

We end in December, have to take Step 1 sometime before the beginning of February, and then start transitioning to third year the second or third week in February. Rotations officially start around the first of March (whatever that Monday happens to fall on).

Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting mvenus, thanks.

Just out of curiosity what other schools have this curriculum? I only know of UVA & UVT.

**BUMP** Anyone? The more advice, the merrier :).

I would also love if students at UVA, UPenn, or any other school with the 1.5 year curriculum culminating in Step 1 in Feb. had any advice! Is it wiser to begin annotating FA as you go along, or wait until Dec. until the new book comes out, when to begin UWorld practice questions, etc. I'm starting at one of these schools in the Fall and it'll be the first year my school is doing it this way! :joyful:

It depends on how your school does it. If they do the more basic science topics, I'd wait until the new edition of FA comes out. If they start off right away with systems, then it's probably worth it to start annotating right away. But repetition is really the key, so reviewing concepts in each of the systems and how they relate to one another is going to be how you reinforce those concepts and remember them come test time.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on how your school does it. If they do the more basic science topics, I'd wait until the new edition of FA comes out. If they start off right away with systems, then it's probably worth it to start annotating right away. But repetition is really the key, so reviewing concepts in each of the systems and how they relate to one another is going to be how you reinforce those concepts and remember them come test time.

Yeah, it looks like we're starting with the basic science and then moving into the systems (exactly the same schedule as one person on this thread described theirs as). What's the benefit of using the new FA book? Is it not the same material covered in older books? Or would "high yield" things change from year to year? And are basic science topics not covered on Step or just to a lesser extent? Lol I have no idea what Step actually entails...:laugh:

Edit: I'm thrilled about the change, I guess my question really is I'm not sure how to integrate Step studying into the curriculum. Do people just start annotating FA in Dec. and then do UWorld or whatever practice questions during dedicated study time, or are there certain resources/q banks I could use as we go along in addition to annotating FA to really consolidate information the first time around, and then save practice exams and hard core reviewing during the dedicated study time? Tryna to make a game plan to limit stress later :p

Last edited:
The absolute best thing you can do is master the material of the block you are in. Do everything possible to hit 95% or so on your tests. If you are able to do that, then you may want to think about long-term studying for step. But unless you are mastering the material of the block you are in, studying for step1 is pointless.

Here is a little mantra I tell myself when thinking about mastering material: Conceptualize, memorize, practice.

1. Conceptualize-you need to have a full, in depth understanding of what you are learning. The opposite of this would be memorizing a fact without understanding the why. Most people conceptualize a topic by watching/studying lecture material. Personally I like the textbooks but to each his own. Just make sure you start with conceptualization. If you don't understand something, or its not explained well in lecture, look it up.

2. Memorize-Unfortunately there is no way around memorizing certain stuff. The key to high performance in this regard is NOT waiting until the weekend before the exam to memorize stuff. You want to be memorizing things every day as you go along, for a couple reasons. First, there is just too much to cram in at the last minute. You will not be able to get it all into your brain. Second, the key to memorizing lots of information is repetition. The more times you practice memorizing it/test yourself, the better and longer you will remember it for. Personally I have found Firecracker to be excellent for this. I realize that the main marketing/selling point of FC is the long-term spaced repetition aspect, but I have actually found it helps me immensely with studying for my test. For instance--we started the current block learning about glycogen metabolism. The test is in 3-4 weeks, but I have already memorized the pathways because I marked the topics in firecracker the first day we studied them. The week before the test I will be reviewing this information instead of trying to memorize it. My advice is to check out firecracker and anki for memorization tools. Pick one and stick to it.

3. Practice-in the wise words of my favorite ED doc, "You don't know what you don't know." Do practice questions to expose gaps in 1) your conceptualization and 2) your memorization. Practice questions also help solidify what you are learning and keep facts in your brain longer. There are a few Qbanks out there and a whole lot of discussion on which ones are "best". Personally I use USMLERx, and the questions at the end of the chapter in Robbins. Regardless, you need to find practice questions to do. It also helps with procrastinating--I set a goal to have reviewed all the material for a test 1-2 days before the test so I can do a bunch of practice questions (200-500 depending on the test).

A couple other helpful tools are

1) Pomodoro technique. I like the app Tide. Helps maximize the (limited) hours in a day.
2) Studercising (exercising while studying). I like to watch pathoma or physeo, or listen to Goljan audio on the treadmill.

Reactions: 7 users
The absolute best thing you can do is master the material of the block you are in. Do everything possible to hit 95% or so on your tests. If you are able to do that, then you may want to think about long-term studying for step. But unless you are mastering the material of the block you are in, studying for step1 is pointless....

Damn dude, this sounds like a solid plan. Thanks, I really appreciate all the advice!!! But do you not find that "studercising" (love it) :headphone: defeats the purpose of using exercise to get your mind off things, as a break, etc.? And what's the pomodoro technique? Sounds kinda cool :joyful:

Damn dude, this sounds like a solid plan. Thanks, I really appreciate all the advice!!! But do you not find that "studercising" (love it) :headphone: defeats the purpose of using exercise to get your mind off things, as a break, etc.? And what's the pomodoro technique? Sounds kinda cool :joyful:

Yeah, I only studercise maybe half of the time. It really depends on my mental state. Pomodoro is basically spacing out periods of focusing and taking small breaks. The "classic" pomodoro interval is 25min focus, 5 min break, and after 4 focus sessions, a 20 min break. If I can get in 16 "focuses" in a day, my brain is tired and it was a good day. I like the app because it keeps track of how many sessions you're doing, its all automatic so all I have to do is obey, and it has white noise options which I like.

Reactions: 1 users
A Couple quick questions:
  1. Do you suggest starting FC from day one of MS1? If so, how many reviews do you typically do a day? Do you do less reviews on weekends/breaks?
  2. For USMLE-RX do you only do questions in that one-two day period prior to the exam? Or do you do some here and there throughout the weeks leading up to the test?
  3. Thoughts on using FA/Pathoma/Sketchy as an MS1?

1. FC is definitely a personal choice. I started at the beginning of M1 but used it more as an afterthought, and did not keep up as much. I also did not put enough effort into focusing while I was using it and taking the time to actually memorize things. After talking to multiple people including a family member who scored 260+ and attributed a lot of the success to FC, I started taking it way more seriously. What I found is that it is an excellent resource for studying alongside classes. Its essentially a primary resource for me. Many people complain that it takes too much time to use effectively. The way I use it, it replaces other things I might normally do to study. Right now I'm doing 285 cards per day. About half of that is the current block I'm in, the other half is old stuff. So far this has been the magic number for me, but cards per day is definitely a personal choice. I typically skip FC on test days, but otherwise I really try to do it everyday. Some days I don't finish, but I don't let it derail me. The more I use it the more I love it. Definitely try the month free trial and see if you like it. Feel free to PM me if you want more details or tips on using it.

2. For Rx I just do it before the test. Otherwise you get questions about stuff you have not learned yet. Plus, I probably wouldn't have time. FWIW, once you are in organ systems I would check out the Robbins questions. They are slightly more detailed and more reflective of my exam questions. Also much much cheaper.

3. FA might be helpful for biochem because it has some good charts and stuff. I have not used it otherwise. Not too many people in my class use it. Its basically a big study guide written specifically for dedicated test prep, to help remind you of what you have already learned. I'm sure some people find good use for it during classes, but personally I am not a huge fan. Sketchy is super popular with my classmates. I really love micro, so I did not feel like it was necessary for me. I got the top score in my class, so it is definitely not necessary if you do not want to use it. But yeah if you hate micro then you should check it out. I have not tried sketchy pharm, but I am going to look into it this summer because I suck at pharm. Pathoma.......it gets soooo much love. Honestly I do not completely understand why. Yes, they are good lectures. But they are far from comprehensive enough for school exams. I do watch them alongside my classes, because I tend to pick up some helpful tidbits. But some of my classmates tried to use pathoma as a primary resource for the last block and many of them legitimately failed lol. So yeah...pathoma is supplemental and entertaining, but far from a primary resource during classes. I really like Robbins and I read it religiously for my primary pathology resource. I like to read a section and then do those specific cards in firecracker. To each his own though.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, it looks like we're starting with the basic science and then moving into the systems (exactly the same schedule as one person on this thread described theirs as). What's the benefit of using the new FA book? Is it not the same material covered in older books? Or would "high yield" things change from year to year? And are basic science topics not covered on Step or just to a lesser extent? Lol I have no idea what Step actually entails...:laugh:

Edit: I'm thrilled about the change, I guess my question really is I'm not sure how to integrate Step studying into the curriculum. Do people just start annotating FA in Dec. and then do UWorld or whatever practice questions during dedicated study time, or are there certain resources/q banks I could use as we go along in addition to annotating FA to really consolidate information the first time around, and then save practice exams and hard core reviewing during the dedicated study time? Tryna to make a game plan to limit stress later :p

That person was me, four years ago ;) It's also UVA's curriculum as of four years ago, for whoever was asking for one specific to them.

The reason you want to wait for the new FA is because there is a TON of errata every year, despite it being revised every year. It's better to get the most up-to-date stuff, rather than getting confused by something that wasn't like how you studied it. And FA should not be used as a primary study tool. Think of it as a review before your test in the unit, that includes stuff on your test, but is not all-inclusive. Your hard score step studying should be done in the 2 months or so before the test, and not before.

The absolute best thing you can do is master the material of the block you are in. Do everything possible to hit 95% or so on your tests. If you are able to do that, then you may want to think about long-term studying for step. But unless you are mastering the material of the block you are in, studying for step1 is pointless.

Here is a little mantra I tell myself when thinking about mastering material: Conceptualize, memorize, practice.

1. Conceptualize-you need to have a full, in depth understanding of what you are learning. The opposite of this would be memorizing a fact without understanding the why. Most people conceptualize a topic by watching/studying lecture material. Personally I like the textbooks but to each his own. Just make sure you start with conceptualization. If you don't understand something, or its not explained well in lecture, look it up.

2. Memorize-Unfortunately there is no way around memorizing certain stuff. The key to high performance in this regard is NOT waiting until the weekend before the exam to memorize stuff. You want to be memorizing things every day as you go along, for a couple reasons. First, there is just too much to cram in at the last minute. You will not be able to get it all into your brain. Second, the key to memorizing lots of information is repetition. The more times you practice memorizing it/test yourself, the better and longer you will remember it for. Personally I have found Firecracker to be excellent for this. I realize that the main marketing/selling point of FC is the long-term spaced repetition aspect, but I have actually found it helps me immensely with studying for my test. For instance--we started the current block learning about glycogen metabolism. The test is in 3-4 weeks, but I have already memorized the pathways because I marked the topics in firecracker the first day we studied them. The week before the test I will be reviewing this information instead of trying to memorize it. My advice is to check out firecracker and anki for memorization tools. Pick one and stick to it.

3. Practice-in the wise words of my favorite ED doc, "You don't know what you don't know." Do practice questions to expose gaps in 1) your conceptualization and 2) your memorization. Practice questions also help solidify what you are learning and keep facts in your brain longer. There are a few Qbanks out there and a whole lot of discussion on which ones are "best". Personally I use USMLERx, and the questions at the end of the chapter in Robbins. Regardless, you need to find practice questions to do. It also helps with procrastinating--I set a goal to have reviewed all the material for a test 1-2 days before the test so I can do a bunch of practice questions (200-500 depending on the test).

A couple other helpful tools are

1) Pomodoro technique. I like the app Tide. Helps maximize the (limited) hours in a day.
2) Studercising (exercising while studying). I like to watch pathoma or physeo, or listen to Goljan audio on the treadmill.
awesome advice, thanks!

I used kaplan videos and followed along in first aid with my classes.

I also used the Kaplan question bank during my pre-clinical years
Edit: Got it. I'll stick with Kaplan for those resources throughout my 1.5 yrs.

Last edited: