How not to protest a clerkship evaluation (sarcasm)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2nd clerkship of 3rd year. Was very interested in neurology. After experience with preceptor and being ghosted by PD trying to follow-up on unsuccessful grade protest, I will not be applying to neurology for residency. Sad really. Of Note: got a "reevaluation" about 2-3 weeks later after grade protest. No ratings changed. Incorrect name was still on the evaluation. :confused:

Attached is my grade protest sent to PD. PD then asked me to send it to Preceptor also (awkward, but whatever).
WARNING: 5 pages long if you care to read. All identifying info taken out.

Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you should contact your school to reach out to this person since he hasnt been responsive to you if you're fully confident you did well. I think examples of circumstances of where he thought your performance was lacking would have been useful if you feel you did well during it.

These things are very subjective. Sometimes preceptors just fill them out in a standard way as quickly as possible too. I liked clinicals but also hated clinicals for how subjective the grading was.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
OP, it sounds like you had a rotten preceptor who should have involved you more. Nevertheless... you really do need to learn that your education is probably not the number one priority for your attending, especially in outpatient settings. Read the room. If you're repeatedly offering to get more involved and are getting rebuffed or people seem annoyed, that should be a clue that you need to back off.

I would almost never submit a grade protest that a "meets expectation" evaluation should have been higher. These evaluations are by definition subjective, so while you may firmly believe you deserve a better grade you're very unlikely to get the grade changed and will only cause yourself unnecessary angst.

The other main lesson I would take from this is that while your attending SHOULD give you formal feedback midway through your rotation, if you don't receive it then you should seek it out. Even just an informal "Hey, we're at about the midway point--how do you think I'm doing? Is there anything I should change or work on?" Ideally this will help prevent you from getting surprising negative evals at the end of the rotation, but also if you can concretely say you got feedback and then either 1) The attending didn't give you anything to work on, or 2) The attending gave you feedback and you made appropriate changes, it may then be easier to submit this kind of protest. As it is, when your only feedback was on the last day, it kind of boils down to your word vs. the attending's, and you're usually going to lose that protest.

Again, completely sympathize with you and it seems like you got a bad preceptor--but since this is likely to happen again at least once or twice during 3rd year, these would be my recommendations going forward.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2nd clerkship of 3rd year. Was very interested in neurology. After experience with preceptor and being ghosted by PD trying to follow-up on unsuccessful grade protest, I will not be applying to neurology for residency. Sad really. Of Note: got a "reevaluation" about 2-3 weeks later after grade protest. No ratings changed. Incorrect name was still on the evaluation. :confused:

Attached is my grade protest sent to PD. PD then asked me to send it to Preceptor also (awkward, but whatever).
If that one "bad" experience turned you off to an entire speciality field, it was probably not right for you to begin with. Remember, you may have other experiences similar to this before all said and done.

Reactions: 3 users
If that one "bad" experience turned you off to an entire speciality field, it was probably not right for you to begin with. Remember, you may have other experiences similar to this before all said and done.
I can kind of empathize with what the OP is saying. If your dream is to be a surgeon and your attending in the OR basically tells you at the end out of nowhere that you suck at surgery, this would be pretty soul crushing, at least to me it would. I think most people go into the clerkship that is aligned with what they want to do, with the idea that they're going to do well because they might put forth a little extra effort. So it can suck when effort isnt recognized.

Thanks for the feedback all. I should have been more clear in my OP. I have finished 3rd year and will be applying to another specialty, not neurology. Current MS3s have asked me whether they should let this preceptor eval them after 1-2 days with them. I tell them to avoid like the plaque.

OP, it sounds like you had a rotten preceptor who should have involved you more. Nevertheless... you really do need to learn that your education is probably not the number one priority for your attending, especially in outpatient settings. Read the room. If you're repeatedly offering to get more involved and are getting rebuffed or people seem annoyed, that should be a clue that you need to back off.

I would almost never submit a grade protest that a "meets expectation" evaluation should have been higher. These evaluations are by definition subjective, so while you may firmly believe you deserve a better grade you're very unlikely to get the grade changed and will only cause yourself unnecessary angst.

The other main lesson I would take from this is that while your attending SHOULD give you formal feedback midway through your rotation, if you don't receive it then you should seek it out. Even just an informal "Hey, we're at about the midway point--how do you think I'm doing? Is there anything I should change or work on?" Ideally this will help prevent you from getting surprising negative evals at the end of the rotation, but also if you can concretely say you got feedback and then either 1) The attending didn't give you anything to work on, or 2) The attending gave you feedback and you made appropriate changes, it may then be easier to submit this kind of protest. As it is, when your only feedback was on the last day, it kind of boils down to your word vs. the attending's, and you're usually going to lose that protest.

Again, completely sympathize with you and it seems like you got a bad preceptor--but since this is likely to happen again at least once or twice during 3rd year, these would be my recommendations going forward.

I completely understand that preceptors need to put student education at a lower priority. But we also need to stop preceptors from using medical students as free menial labor and/or taking med students and not teaching them anything just so the preceptor can get cash inflow from the school.

It should be the med school’s responsibility to police this.

I completely understand that preceptors need to put student education at a lower priority. But we also need to stop preceptors from using medical students as free menial labor and/or taking med students and not teaching them anything just so the preceptor can get cash inflow from the school.

I agree. At the same time, I think it is worth recognizing that there are some things that are under a student's control, specifically requesting earlier feedback and definition of roles/expectations on a rotation. Of course a good preceptor SHOULD give these things unprompted, but if these things don't happen naturally then you should ask for them

I tell them to avoid like the plaque.
Is that a bad neurology pun? :p

Anyway, sad to hear about the field. Neuro was on my short list of two things I wanted to do going into third year and my neuro rotation ruled it out for me in a somewhat (but not exactly) similar fashion.

I believe what Browns99 says is true. If it takes that bad experience to rule it out for us, it probably wasn't meant for us to begin with.

Sorry to hear this happened and I'm sure you'll thrive in your new chosen field of interest.

I believe what Browns99 says is true. If it takes that bad experience to rule it out for us, it probably wasn't meant for us to begin with.
I mean it can make it hard to rule it in especially if a jerk attending gives a P in the specialty of interest where programs want to see an H

I must say I can relate to you with bad preceptors. So far I have only had one bad preceptor, but when I say he was terrible I mean he was terrible. The only thing I ever heard out of his mouth was "no' or "wrong". It was the least enjoyable rotation I have had thus far. His only intention on a daily basis was to belittle me. Unfortunately preceptors like this exist, although I can't understand why they choose to take on this role when they clearly have no interest in being around or teaching students.

Most preceptors don't get paid. No "cash inflow" involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank goodness my school is P/F rotations. I'm keeping a written list of all the terrible things in medical education I've seen in clerkships so far if I ever do become a med school dean one day. There are so many easy fixes, yet no one bothers to do so because of tradition.

Then where the hell does our 3rd and 4th year tuition go...
Ask your school. Most preceptor don't get paid. Teaching takes time, time away from physician productivity. Now that's no excuse for a crappy preceptor as they know this before agreeing to take students. My wife would not take students for this reason.

For OP, freshly minted 3rd yr students aren't very useful, well, because they can't be. They don't know how the service/office works, they are not familiar with EMR, and their skills need to be developed. As a new 4th yr, looking back, I'm sure you recognize you bring more value now to a service than last July. This will be more apparent when as a 4th yr or resident you have to supervise new 3rd yrs. I did read your entire complaint and have a few comments. These are mostly for newly minted 3rds yrs as you now recognize most of what I am saying.
Professionalism. Students must be punctual, NEVER late.Ideally arrive 15 min early. Obviously respectful and helpful.
Most 3rd yrs show up and expect a bedside lecture. Preceptor lectures will be fewer than in hospital services like IM or surgery due to the constraints of time.
Most 3rd yr H&P skills need to be refined, and this is normal. Getting a Meets Expectations is what most 3rd yrs would receive durimg their first few rotations, imo.
Ask if there is anything you can do to help, even if it turns out to be menial or non medical related. Being likeable is a plus, rather than some who give the impression of an entitled med student.
If you are not getting the formal education you expect, pick a case that interests you and ask if you can give a presentation on the subject..
Some rotations just suck, despite your best effort. Make the most of them and move on. Above are many of the important qualities PDs look for when ranking residency applicants.

Cut the tuition by removing all the expenses funneled to administrative crap and send at least 70% of tuition to pay attendings to teach
Do you know a breakdown of what % goes towards what during each year? What about the money that goes towards the hospital itself? If 70% goes towards attendings directly does that mean the other 30% goes towards the hospital?

Do you know a breakdown of what % goes towards what during each year? What about the money that goes towards the hospital itself? If 70% goes towards attendings directly does that mean the other 30% goes towards the hospital?
I was trying to simplify the process because how the finances are allocated varies greatly by school. My point is there is an administrative bloat that needs to be cut down and the tuition should be largely given to attendings who take the time to teach.

Although tbh I personally wouldn’t mind paying higher tuition to ensure attendings get paid for teaching. But i support cutting a lot of expenses and eliminating the administrative bloat.

Reactions: 1 user
Although tbh I personally wouldn’t mind paying higher tuition to ensure attendings get paid for teaching. But i support cutting a lot of expenses and eliminating the administrative bloat.
I’ve often wished there were a way to compensate faculty for teaching. As it is now, faculty are actually penalized for teaching at most places. Sure, teaching can be part of your promotion package but it doesn’t really contribute anything to your actual compensation prior to your actual promotion. For faculty paid on a productivity bonus system, slowing down and teaching actually costs them money.

I’ve often wondered about a system where the top rated teaching faculty could get some kind of bonus to compensate them for whatever they lose from teaching. Or even better, enough bonus to incentivize it.

The flip side is that I’m not sure how big a difference this would make. I doubt it would turn a crap teacher into a good one. And great ones will be great regardless. There might be some in the middle though who would devote more time to it if they felt it worth their while and if it go admin off their backs.

Did you want to put yourself on admin’s radar? Because this is how you put yourself on admin’s radar.
Yeah I read OPs diatribe and if that’s the version of his rotation that HE wrote and biased toward trying to make himself look good, well, I’d love to have a beer with his preceptor and hear his story!

All I could think was “thank God this kid wasn’t in my clinic!”

And I actually like teaching!

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve often wished there were a way to compensate faculty for teaching. As it is now, faculty are actually penalized for teaching at most places. Sure, teaching can be part of your promotion package but it doesn’t really contribute anything to your actual compensation prior to your actual promotion. For faculty paid on a productivity bonus system, slowing down and teaching actually costs them money.

I’ve often wondered about a system where the top rated teaching faculty could get some kind of bonus to compensate them for whatever they lose from teaching. Or even better, enough bonus to incentivize it.

The flip side is that I’m not sure how big a difference this would make. I doubt it would turn a crap teacher into a good one. And great ones will be great regardless. There might be some in the middle though who would devote more time to it if they felt it worth their while and if it go admin off their backs.
I think there should be an added salary increase for attendings willing to teach and a good bonus for good teaching performance based on student evals. I definitely think great preceptors should be heavily rewarded financially in addition to teaching awards.

Reactions: 1 user

Cynically, while "teaching" is technically part of the promotion package, I can't fathom that it is actually given much (if any) weight other than a box that gets checked that, "yup, GoSpursGo taught med students and residents." If you're a truly awful teacher with terrible comments, maybe it can hold you back, but I don't think there is any meaningful difference between being a "below average but fine" teacher and an amazing teacher. "Well, GoSpursGo didn't get any grants in the last 2 years, but he got straight 5s from his learner evals!" -said nobody ever. When you look at my annual review, it literally says I'm supposed to devote 4% of my effort towards clinical education, so it's the equivalent of that quiz that you blew off in undergrad because you knew you could still get an A in the course even if you didn't try. Thus, while I spend time teaching because I like to teach and I think I'm pretty good at it, I do it knowing full well that I'm never ever going to get any credit for it.

This is a victim of faculty almost exclusively being hired on the "clinician researcher" track vs. "clinical service" track. The former cares mostly about grants and research output, the latter cares about RVUs and clinical service. There is technically a "clinician educator" track that one can be hired on at some institutions, but these are almost exclusively weighted toward people who are hired to be a PD or a dean or something like that. Even associate program directors get something lame like 0.1 FTE.

So, as others have said... there would need to be a significant overhaul of the system to get any meaningful change. But I couldn't tell you what kinds of changes might be effective, because students generally don't have any leverage no matter how justified they may be in their gripes.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Cynically, while "teaching" is technically part of the promotion package, I can't fathom that it is actually given much (if any) weight other than a box that gets checked that, "yup, GoSpursGo taught med students and residents." If you're a truly awful teacher with terrible comments, maybe it can hold you back, but I don't think there is any meaningful difference between being a "below average but fine" teacher and an amazing teacher. "Well, GoSpursGo didn't get any grants in the last 2 years, but he got straight 5s from his learner evals!" -said nobody ever. When you look at my annual review, it literally says I'm supposed to devote 4% of my effort towards clinical education, so it's the equivalent of that quiz that you blew off in undergrad because you knew you could still get an A in the course even if you didn't try. Thus, while I spend time teaching because I like to teach and I think I'm pretty good at it, I do it knowing full well that I'm never ever going to get any credit for it.

This is a victim of faculty almost exclusively being hired on the "clinician researcher" track vs. "clinical service" track. The former cares mostly about grants and research output, the latter cares about RVUs and clinical service. There is technically a "clinician educator" track that one can be hired on at some institutions, but these are almost exclusively weighted toward people who are hired to be a PD or a dean or something like that. Even associate program directors get something lame like 0.1 FTE.

So, as others have said... there would need to be a significant overhaul of the system to get any meaningful change. But I couldn't tell you what kinds of changes might be effective, because students generally don't have any leverage no matter how justified they may be in their gripes.
Exactly. It’s a checkbox at best.

Compared to clinical and research productivity where there are very clear objective metrics.

Thanks Operaman! I think all MS can benefit from your sound advice.

Attn all MS who are thinking about protesting a preceptor's evaluation that your school says you have a right to do if you are unsatisfied with your grade. Make sure that you do not provide any and all evidence that you believe supports your position. Otherwise you will be accused of being biased and going on a diatribe.

Therefore, what you should actually do when protesting any future evaluation is send an email to the clerkship director and say, "Dear Dr. Director. I would like to protest my evaluation pursuant to the school's policy. I don't like it. It makes me sad. Can you pretty please change it?"
Sincerely, MS

Attn all MS who are thinking about protesting a preceptor's evaluation that your school says you have a right to do if you are unsatisfied with your grade. Make sure that you do not provide any and all evidence that you believe supports your position. Otherwise you will be accused of being biased and going on a diatribe.

Therefore, what you should actually do when protesting any future evaluation is send an email to the clerkship director and say, "Dear Dr. Director. I would like to protest my evaluation pursuant to the school's policy. I don't like it. It makes me sad. Can you pretty please change it?"
Sincerely, MS
OP, the problem is that a five page manifesto pushes you out of reasonable protest category into “doth protest too much” category.

If you weren’t allowed to/taught to do physical exams and then punished for not doing them well, that’s a very fair argument that should be looked into (and a big problem on your preceptor’s part). Had you stuck to that very valid point, I’d be in your corner.

Most of everything else is just you arguing about how great you are, and why that means you should have “exceeded expectations.” You might have been fantastic. And that might have been her expectation. Clinical expectations have always been subjective, that’s how the cookie crumbles. Arguing with a subjective eval doesn’t paint you in the best light.

Edit: fixed a typo

Last edited:
Sadly, I could not because the preceptor was apathetic. I even commented on the preceptor's skills with the patients. It was personable and sociable, two skills that were not shown to the MS who was doing everything they could to make the most of the clerkship. They were great as a clinician, but as an instructor, not so much.

Protesting 7 questions on the evaluation out of 18 hardly means that I was full of myself. I actually agreed with the average ratings of the other 11.

Last edited:
Edited as per OP’s request - be careful what you post on teh interwebz kids…

I’ll always enjoy med student feedback, positive or negative, though particularly enjoy the hubris often associated with the latter. My favorite still remains a MS3 who complained about me taking too much time reviewing his/her notes when “there was absolutely nothing wrong with them as written” and then had the balls to claim I frequently took naps while he/she “did all the work.” What work pray tell, as this was inpatient psych and your only task was to check-in with your 3 patients and write a note for each? Also, if I was napping how the fu** would I know what should or should not be edited from your note??? Or a different student who was repeatedly talked to about her/his performance (primarily professionalism issues but also general lack of tact socially) starting the 2nd week of the rotation with minimal improvement to the point that she/he was explicitly told by the attending that he/she was at very high risk of failing unless very black and white, specific improvements were made. Student ultimately got a sympathy pass (which was made very clear during final feedback) and then was bold enough submit a grade appeal and argue that she/he should have received honors.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Are you talkative? I am. In medschool I received a similar piece of feedback about clinic work flow. What it usually chalks up to is talking out of turn, intruding yourself into a conversation when you are meant to listen, etc. You really don’t get to see how a learner affects your flow until it happens to you. Your examples kinda speak to an overzealous med student that keeps talking out of turn trying to be helpful but really affecting the clinician’s flow. When your flow is off, your patient care is affected. Subjective grading sucks. Especially for us talkative people. You are either loved or hated lol. Best thing is to just try to assimilate to the expectations. I can assure you that an irritated attendings eval feedback will be a lot more palatable than a senior resident you piss off when you’re an intern.

That's fair. Thing is I don't know because the attending didn't care enough to provide the feedback even when we went over how it all went for 5 minutes on the final day after the last patient. The PD spoke to the attending after my protest, told me to email/test them to talk about it, but ghosted me when I tried to follow up.

Sincerely, MS
I hate to say it, but your shortened protest would have likely been more effective then the 5 pager you posted. It also included about the same amount of useful information.

Look, I can read between the lines and it sounds like you were very overeager (not always a bad thing) and managed to be much more of a nuisance than a learner. Part of this falls on your preceptor for not setting expectations clearly, but it seems to vastly overestimated your role in that clinic. My guess is that he doesn’t give such low marks to every other student, so something was clearly different about his interactions with you.

It sounded like you were constantly inserting yourself into patient care and doing so often outside the scope of the issue at hand. Interrupting to talk about smoking cessation during a visit unrelated to tobacco use? You’re just wasting time and annoying your preceptor. My guess is you have some trouble with self awareness and don’t realize how you’re coming across. The 5 page diatribe further supports this conclusion.

That’s a big part of being a student and a resident - you gotta learn the game and find that balance.

I get it.

You have not experienced as a MS the oddball behavior of an attending who was so afraid of catching COVID that they locked themselves in their office at every opportunity even when they and the MS and everyone else in the office wore N95s.

Of course you are going to naturally assume incorrectly that the MS had the balls to interrupt an attending speaking to the patient because you who wasn't there would never believe that the MS was the one tasked with getting a comprehensive HPI of the new patient and during the social history took ten seconds to mentioned that someone who had smoked for 60 years should consider quitting and that the attending was in the room on the computer doing their note as MS spoke to the patient was the one who interrupted.

And of course it makes sense that you have forgotten what it was like to be a MS whose clerkship grade was made up of the final eval and the shelf exam score and that if you were in my position you would have been happy knowing that the eval caused your transcript to end up with a P in a field you were interested in, and you would have only protested 1 of 18 ratings because that would have clearly helped improved your final eval score sufficiently to get that P to an H or even HP.

And lastly I'm certain that if you were this attending's senior colleague also a neurologist who during one lecture to the entire class of MS2s made certain to promote the specialty and encouraged all the MS to consider the specialty as a career would be estatic to hear that the attending's apathy turned a MS interested in the field completely off of it.

If you invite me to the beer gathering, I will buy the 1st several rounds. Maybe then the alcohol could loosen up the attending so that they could really provide the constructive feedback that I never got all throughout the 2 week clerkship with them and even after the failed evaluation protest.

Checkmate Opera, checkmate.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
I get it.

You have not experienced as a MS the oddball behavior of an attending who was so afraid of catching COVID that they locked themselves in their office at every opportunity even when they and the MS and everyone else in the office wore N95s.

Of course you are going to naturally assume incorrectly that the MS had the balls to interrupt an attending speaking to the patient because you who wasn't there would never believe that the MS was the one tasked with getting a comprehensive HPI of the new patient and during the social history took ten seconds to mentioned that someone who had smoked for 60 years should consider quitting and that the attending was in the room on the computer doing their note as MS spoke to the patient was the one who interrupted.

And of course it makes sense that you have forgotten what it was like to be a MS whose clerkship grade was made up of the final eval and the shelf exam score and that if you were in my position you would have been happy knowing that the eval caused your transcript to end up with a P in a field you were interested in, and you would have only protested 1 of 18 ratings because that would have clearly helped improved your final eval score sufficiently to get that P to an H or even HP.

And lastly I'm certain that if you were this attending's senior colleague also a neurologist who during one lecture to the entire class of MS2s made certain to promote the specialty and encouraged all the MS to consider the specialty as a career would be estatic to hear that the attending's apathy turned a MS interested in the field completely off of it.

If you invite me to the beer gathering, I will buy the 1st several rounds. Maybe then the alcohol could loosen up the attending so that they could really provide the constructive feedback that I never got all throughout the 2 week clerkship with them and even after the failed evaluation protest.

Checkmate Opera, checkmate.
I am sorry that you had a bad preceptor experience. You have received some feedback in this thread on how your complaint was perceived by other attending physicians. Regardless of whether you agree or not, this probably important information for you to have going forward, as perception is often reality when you're a trainee. If all you wanted to do was rant and complain as a way of blowing off steam, then kudos to you, that's fine. I hope you feel better now.

In any event, I'm now closing this thread per your request.

Status
Not open for further replies.