How to Study for CPJE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x3dgame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking my CPJE in a month, and I just want to know how I should study? I have never taken the California law class, and I don't know exactly what the test is like. I just know that it is more than just a law test, and it is hard.

So please, if you have an idea how to study for it, please let me know. What study material should I look at? What is a good resource to look for all the information? Where can I find a review course or practice test? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I just purchased it right now, i wish i could find it cheaper, but the good reviews makes it enough for me to buy it, and even use it for work.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the law section of the CPJE test? Do I just need to read all the California statue?

Hi everyone. I am just wondering if anybody is using the book "Pharmacy Law for California Pharmacists" by William L. Marcus and Marsha N. Cohen to study for the CPJE and if it helps. Sounds like a lot of people here recommend Weissman's book but I have already bought the other one. Thank you so much.

What about the clinical section? Beside the ebay things that everybody has mention, what other resource should I use? Should I just study the APhA book again? Thank you.

i got the ebay thing, and i have to say, that the study guide is so awesome its not even funny. It will dramatacilly reduce my studying time. I am not gonna write much anymore on the forum, because for the next few months i am going to focus on studying. After I take the test and after i know that i have passed, i will post exactly how i studied for it. Good luck everyone.

I am taking cpje in 2 weeks. I am using Rxprep book and online quizbank for practise. I wonder if I should rely on these for passing cpje.
The quiz bank does not test on doses/brand generic.

Does anybody have a recent top 200 list w/ max doses that they can share. Dosing/frequency is my biggest weakness :(

What about the law section of the CPJE test? Do I just need to read all the California statue?

I just passed the cpje. The Weissman's law book was very useful, as well as "The Scripts" on the board of pharmacy's website. Good luck to you!

What material did you use to study for the clinical portion? Thank you.

For the clinical portion, I used the pharmacy charts (the ebay link above). Read a few chapters in the apha book and I did practice questions in the apha book and lange Q/A pharmacy (got these books from amazon).

Members don't see this ad :)
For the clinical portion, I used the pharmacy charts (the ebay link above). Read a few chapters in the apha book and I did practice questions in the apha book and lange Q/A pharmacy (got these books from amazon).

I can't really not effort the ebay chart. Is the APhA preview book good enough? If not, then I guess I will find a way to purchase the ebay chart then.

I can't really not effort the ebay chart. Is the APhA preview book good enough? If not, then I guess I will find a way to purchase the ebay chart then.

The APhA book is not a bad book. It just has a lot of information and some of the clinical information is questionable but I thought the review questions were good. I would do those.

It has been almost 3 months since I applied to have my license transfer to CA and to take the CPJE. I have not heard anything back! I have emailed and left VM with the board and still nothing.

Does anyone have experiene dealing with the CA board? Is there a way for me to expediate my application? I know the class of 2012 will be applying soon and I want to be stuck in a jam.

To OREN, message number #18:

You wrote: "It has been almost 3 months since I applied to have my license transfer to CA and to takethe CPJE. I have not heard anything back! I have emailed and left VM with theboard and still nothing."

My answer: After I applied for CPJE, the answer came in paper mail, not email. So, maybe the post office lost your paper mail.

My secret is: That paper mail is not that important.

Why? The paper mail does not have any code for you to pick a date of CPJE test.

To pick a date, you do not need that paper mail.

To pick a date, you use your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER at website for CPJE test called www.psiexams.com.

At this site, you can know your CPJE status. How? Does it cost money?

To know your CPJE status, you do not have to pay anything.

FIRST ACTION: You REGISTER. The secret key is your SOCIALSECURITY NUMBER (without using dash, just 123456789.) Again, you do not need the paper mail from the board. That paper mail is only important to know YOUR EXACT LEGAL NAME FOR TEST CENTER. Meaning, that paper mail shows the EXACT NAME that the TEST CENTER wants to see on your PHOTO ID.

SECOND ACTION: within www.psiexams.com, go to a section called "VIEW MY ACTIVITY".

THIRD ACTION: look at the top left, you will see a line called "Registered records". Below that, you will see a table for "Registered records".

In the table, if CA BOARD allowed you to take CPJE, you will see some words that means you are allowed to take CPJE and the "expiration date" of that CPJE test.

In the table, if CA BOARD DID NOT allow you to take CPJE, you will see exact phrase "NO ACTIVITIES FOUND"and NO "expiration date".

I hope that helps many of us. Why? I was checking my HOME mailbox, EVERYDAY, for 60 DAYS…………….It was painful to realize: the paper mail is NOT needed for picking CPJE test date……………

Good luck to you. and please help others. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Learner, thank you so much! I followed your advise and finally got my att! How long did it take you to prepare for the cpje?

Is the Weissman law book and "the scripts" the main sources for law? Anybody reading the "health notes" on the board's website? How important is calculation?

Is the Weissman law book and "the scripts" the main sources for law? Anybody reading the "health notes" on the board's website? How important is calculation?

The scripts is a must. It is even recommended in the sample.questioms that they mailed to you. Anybody took the cpje in June and got your result?

Scores are out! I passed. Good luck everyone. Last year they had another Q/A after the first week of August so take it soon!

For those of you still studying for the CPJE, I only had less than 10 questions on law. The rest of the 90 questions were situational, basic dosing calculations...etc.

Before you take the exam, know your insulin brand/generics, inhalers brands and generics (what's in the ingredient for spiriva?). Other than that, I would say you either know it by now or you don't. That's how hard the exam is...I feel like it's impossible to study for it since it's down to the most random detail of the most random drug. I kept track of the questions I guessed on and after 30 questions and guessing on more than 12 of them...I stopped keeping track.

Good luck! I took mine 7/13 and am certain I failed but there's always hope!

Hey Does anyone know what this "DCA_BPH_ID_Number" is? I read somewhere here that it's the SSN number, but I tried it with and without the dashes and it didn't work. I got an email saying that I was made eligible to take the test, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks!!!

Hey Does anyone know what this "DCA_BPH_ID_Number" is? I read somewhere here that it's the SSN number, but I tried it with and without the dashes and it didn't work. I got an email saying that I was made eligible to take the test, so I'm not sure what's going on. Thanks!!!

It's definitely your SS#. If it's still not working, I'd contact PSI exams or the state BOP (good luck getting a response) to see what's going on.

For those of you still studying for the CPJE, I only had less than 10 questions on law. The rest of the 90 questions were situational, basic dosing calculations...etc.

Before you take the exam, know your insulin brand/generics, inhalers brands and generics (what's in the ingredient for spiriva?). Other than that, I would say you either know it by now or you don't. That's how hard the exam is...I feel like it's impossible to study for it since it's down to the most random detail of the most random drug. I kept track of the questions I guessed on and after 30 questions and guessing on more than 12 of them...I stopped keeping track.

I took mine today (7/19) and I agree with everything in your post. A large portion of the exam is in brand name. Kinda surprised that there were math questions but it was basic. Some of the law questions I had were not straight forward in my opinion. Most of the questions were on counseling points (storage, adverse effects, etc.). Surprisingly no iv compatibility questions or MOA questions.

Reading "health notes" and past issues "the script" was a waste of time for my exam (confirmed because some of the questions I had on certain disease topics covered in health notes could not be found in the document). I think your time would be better spent reading the Weissman textbook. The Rxprep quiz database for law is not sufficient at all (got 98% on it and still had a lot of questions I was unsure of on the exam). Doing the quiz database for the other topics wasnt as useful as it was for NAPLEX. If I were to have changed how I studied I would just go over drug counseling points and maybe look over some guidelines for the more common disease states and not bother doing the rxprep quizzes.

I felt like I guessed on too many as well. Hope it works out for the both of us.

I had the same problem. When I contacted PSI they told it was because I haven't taken an exam through them yet? It didnt make sense to me either but they said there was nothing they could do about it. They also told me that I had to call them every time I wanted to schedule/reschedule an exam which I think is bogus since the packet that was sent to us says we can register online. But that's what the representative at PSI told me.

I'm getting worried...it's been a week since I took mine and my results haven't been sent. With some people getting their results in less than a week, I'm definitely nervous now.

I had the same problem. When I contacted PSI they told it was because I haven't taken an exam through them yet? It didnt make sense to me either but they said there was nothing they could do about it. They also told me that I had to call them every time I wanted to schedule/reschedule an exam which I think is bogus since the packet that was sent to us says we can register online. But that's what the representative at PSI told me.

Wow... well... I guess I should be glad I'm not the only one. Thank you for the reply, I guess I'll just call them to schedule the exam when I'm ready to take it!!!

I'm getting worried...it's been a week since I took mine and my results haven't been sent. With some people getting their results in less than a week, I'm definitely nervous now.

You should get your results soon. I took mine on 6/13 and got my result on 7/16. My friend took his on 7/7 and also got his result on 7/16. We both passed.

Rxprep, weissman , and 2012 pharmacy charts online from eBay. I passed with a good margin and I went to school out of state and not CA

I will be taking the CPJE. Can someone tell me the names of the books to buy? Thank you
I posted this in another thread.

For CA law I used:
(1) Weissman's (primarily source): http://www.rxprep.com/m-1-rxprep.aspx
(2) Last few publications of "The Scripts" http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/publications.shtml#script

Clinical pharmacy:
(1) pharmacy charts (primarily source): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Editio...k_Education&hash=item3a6d253c7d#ht_2179wt_966
(2) rxprep (see above for link)
(3) apha (you can find a good deal on ebay and amazon)

No idea how the CA BOP decide when to release your score. Two of my friends took it on the same day. One received her score last week and one has not. :confused:

1. what is Q/A?
2. and could you summarize the materials I have to study for CPJE?
Cuz I'm out of state graduate.
3. could you send any tips to my email? [email protected]

1. what is Q/A?
2. and could you summarize the materials I have to study for CPJE?
Cuz I'm out of state graduate.
3. could you send any tips to my email? [email protected]

1. QA means Quality Assurance. When the BOP is doing a QA it means that you have to wait up to 3 months for your score. As far as what exactly they do during a QA...I wouldn't know.

2. When you register for the CPJE they will send you a booklet. It will tell you exactly what you should focus on.

3. Review the material mentioned in this thread/booklet and you should be fine.

I feel like you too FarmDee09. I took the exam on 7/30 & feel like I failed it, & the CA BoP is taking their sweet time in releasing my score. At least if they let me know that I fail sooner then I can start restudying for the next CPJE instead of sitting around & forget what I studied a month ago.

Hey guys. I'm a new graduate. I took the CPJE about a month ago and got the results in 14 days. I got an 84. I felt like the exam was really hard when I left, but I turned out ok.

The best thing to do is study as hard as possible and live and breathe pharmacy for like 3-4 weeks. I passed both the NAPLEX and CPJE the first time out of school using PassNaplexNow books (2 books) and a 5 days on/2 days off study schedule of 8-10 hours a day for 2-3 weeks. Good luck. Feel free to message me if any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Selling ProntoPass MPJE review for California and Nevada. Package includes Federal law, NV, CA, a stack of MPJE review flash cards. I paid $198 for everything. You can have them for $75. Please send me an email at [email protected]. Thank you.