How to respond to "What do you do for a living?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayhomePT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to ask you guys on how to respond when people ask you "What do you do for a living?"

I seem to have trouble answering this question since I'm not currently employed, but I'm a licensed PT. I'm currently looking for a job and until I get one, this question always seem to catch me off guard. I can't say I just graduated PT school because that was years ago and it took me multiple attempts to pass the NPTE.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to ask you guys on how to respond when people ask you "What do you do for a living?"

I seem to have trouble answering this question since I'm not currently employed, but I'm a licensed PT. I'm currently looking for a job and until I get one, this question always seem to catch me off guard. I can't say I just graduated PT school because that was years ago and it took me multiple attempts to pass the NPTE.
You don't do anything for a living if you are unemployed. "I'm looking for work"

Reactions: 1 users
I tell people that I am a physical therapist. We work with people in pain and help them eliminate, decrease, or manage their pain. we also work with . . . the list goes on. You could say that you are an expert in movement disorders, physical performance enhancement etc . . . whatever your current position happens to look like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I passed my national boards so I can happily say I'm a licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy. Currently, I'm in the negotiating phase of interviews but, after the specifics have been hammered out, ill be working in an outpatient/inpatient setting with mainly [take your pick of patient populations].

Tell them you're a physical therapist student. Or tell them you're a deplorable.