How to pinch every cent in medical school? Whats your secret?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't buy cable or satellite and get some rabit ears instead or just listen to the radio instead of watching TV.

Don't pay garbage bills compost and recycle. Many stores now have recycle bins. Store like target let you recycle any plastic, cans, old electronics, etc.. you bring in. They have bins.

Eat vegetarian. You'll cut your food bill by 30% or more not eating meat.

Don't drive. Get a bus pass its way cheaper. No insurance or gas to pay for with the bus.

Members don't see this ad.

Buy the fruits and vegetables that are on sale (cabbage for 33 cents a pound, 3 cucumbers for a dollar, a pound of pasta for 66 cents) and then use allrecipes.com to find your recipe.

Don't buy cable or satellite and get some rabit ears instead or just listen to the radio instead of watching TV.

Don't pay garbage bills compost and recycle. Many stores now have recycle bins. Store like target let you recycle any plastic, cans, old electronics, etc.. you bring in. They have bins.

Eat vegetarian. You'll cut your food bill by 30% or more not eating meat.

Don't drive. Get a bus pass its way cheaper. No insurance or gas to pay for with the bus.

My best money saving tips:

2. Don't incur credit card debt. This is the fastest route to maximum financial hemorrhage. If you need money in a given month and won't be able to pay off your next credit card statement in full, borrow money from someone else instead of charging it. Or if you charge it, borrow money to pay off the credit card statement in full. Ask your parents. Ask your siblings. Agree to wash your neighbor's stinky dog every week for the next year. Use your status as a student to get a loan at a lower interest rate.

For food, the best advice has already been cited. Just remember that every time you buy a soda or a lunch on campus, you're throwing money down the drain. The same 12 oz coke that costs a dollar on campus costs 20 or 25 cents if you buy it at a grocery store and bring it to school with you. Or drink water. It's free.

as for #2.... think twice please.... PLEASE dont be "that guy"...

my group of friends in med school included one guy who (as we all found out mths/years later) asked almost all of us to borrow money during the semester (ranging from 200$-over $2000!! from roommates)... because he had "problems getting his loan money" for !!!4 semesters!!! And this guy lived so lavishly compared to the rest of us, flying cross-country to meet his gf, shower her w/ gifts, go to concerts, several times a semester!! The worst part was that he never kept track of what he owed others and it took 1 million+ reminders to get paid back. none of us realized this pattern of behavior until one of us started ranting about it 2 yrs later.... and then we found out that we had all been, well, backhanded like little stitches....:mad:

More relevant to the thread i REALLY second the drinking only water. And TO NEVER BUY BOTTLED water. Not only are the plastic bottles poison to the environment, they are blasted expensive!
Get yourself a nice waterbottle or two (i love the camelbak waterbottles myself) and just fill and go. You can get a rocking sleeve so the bottle doesn't sweat all over the place when you have an ice-cold beverage in there too! :love: