How to not burn this bridge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinapharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need some advice. I just got hired by Walmart Neighborhood pharmacy as a full time floaters and pretty happy with it for 3 months now( I were from Walgreens ). I am also an PRN Rph for a local hospital. Then I also asked Walmart if they will hire my wife and they did and she got the ft staff position at a busy Walmart store so I asked the DM if we can swab . My wife would get my floating position and I will be staffing. The DM said ok. So far we will fill our role pretty soon. Then today, I got a call from my hospital supervisor that there is a full time position opens and if I am interested. Tbh, This is what I’ve been aiming for and so ready to say yes.
But how to I tell my Walmart DM now? I really don’t want to burn the bridge. I feel like I owe this DM. Will Walmart put my name on their do not rehire list?
Sorry if my grammar is messed up. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks guys/lads

Members don't see this ad.

you owe them nothing

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are just a slot in an excel spreadsheet. Take care of yourself first. Give your notice, and move on. You can always offer to stay on prn (whether or not you actually pick up any shifts is up to you) but that might show a little good faith.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't put your notice in or let your DM know about this until you have been offered and accepted the hospital position. Giving them a full months notice would be nice, and would prevent the bridge burning.

Reactions: 1 user
I left Walmart a week after they finished training me for a better offer. Don’t feel bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If you want to come back, they probably won’t hire you back. If you are happy with leaving the company for foreseeable future, just put in two weeks.

The world is a bigger place than most realize and it turns out there are plenty of other bridges. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Reactions: 4 users
The only defense you have in a capitalist society is to whom you sell your labor. Unless you are signed to a contract that requires you to be in the position, your are at-will and may leave after giving due notice (2 weeks is almost everywhere).

That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. In your resignation letter, cite that you appreciated all the help and support from Walmart (and blah, blah, blah), but you honestly got a great opportunity that you believe is a great one.

Also, COMPLETELY echo the above the advice to not turn in a notice until you are certain that you are hired.

Reactions: 5 users
The only defense you have in a capitalist society is to whom you sell your labor. Unless you are signed to a contract that requires you to be in the position, your are at-will and may leave after giving due notice (2 weeks is almost everywhere).

That doesn't mean you have to be a jerk about it. In your resignation letter, cite that you appreciated all the help and support from Walmart (and blah, blah, blah), but you honestly got a great opportunity that you believe is a great one.

Also, COMPLETELY echo the above the advice to not turn in a notice until you are certain that you are hired.
No contract. And will not turn in the notice until absolutely sure, sir yes sir.
It just that the fact they are happy to have someone to staff for them and now I turn the table making me feel bad. That is all.
Thank you for the advice

If you want to come back, they probably won’t hire you back. If you are happy with leaving the company for foreseeable future, just put in two weeks.
why so?

Several reasons 1) he's made it clear he prefers hospital, so they know if they hire him back it will just be until he gets a better offer 2) they acquiesced to his requests for schedule changes, and he is still leaving them almost immediately after he was hired by them. 3) he hasn't worked with them long enough to show he is a good employee worth hiring back, they will just see on paper that he is flighty.
Places don't want to waste time interviewing, hiring process, training, someone who isn't going to stay long enough for it to make it worth their while.