How long to stay at a job to not burn a bridge for possible rehire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of floating with one of the major chains, but it is not what I see as the dream job, and I am networking and contacting staff agencies to find better work, which I assume will open up in the next four months or so. (I am trying to avoid a gap on my resume, hence the floating.)

How long does one need to stay to not be black listed by the company? How does one make their exit? Is it possible to get a reference from the DM--no overlap at this company, so not sure how often I'll see the pharmacy manager?

Would it be better to look for work over the next few months until I found something I like and forego the floating? I would like to have the opportunity to work at this chain in the future, given the lack of employers out there because of mass consolidation--Where are you FTC!?

Members don't see this ad.

I take it you are already networking and applying for other job opportunities right now? If you get the opportunity to work at your dream job, I would take it. In the future, if you end up needing a job at the chain you currently work for, and they ask you why you left the company, you can simply tell them that you wanted full time work and the only option you had with their company at the time was PRN floating.

As far as making an exit, I'm not sure if the "2 week notice" applies for pharmacists, but you definitely want to let your employer know ahead of time when you get the new job offer! Also, if you are floating between stores, it likely won't be as big of an issue when you leave the company than if you were full time at one store location.

Now, as far as the customary amount of time to work for an employer before leaving, I'm not sure!

30 days notice is standard for most places I know of (at least it is common courtesy for scheduling purposes) - I think a year is a minimum amount of time to stay to avoid burning a bridge - but that is just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Even floating in retail? Who makes the decision for rehire down the road?

At many places, when you leave there is an "Eligible to rehire?" query in your file and your supervisor checks yes or no.

I understand that, but what is the 'informal' etiquette from the employer's perspective in general?

Usually "eligible for rehire" means you were not fired and left on good terms with the employer. If you gave your minimum notice, they you are probably eligible for rehire.

Two week notice is always standard. Don't listen to these pharmacists who tell you 30 day notice or that you need to tell your employer that you're looking around. Ridiculous!

Reactions: 1 user
So working retail part time, would leaving after 3-5 months be kosher if the reason for leaving was seeking full-time work? Would a reference be unrealistic in this scenario?

30 days notice is standard for most places I know of (at least it is common courtesy for scheduling purposes) - I think a year is a minimum amount of time to stay to avoid burning a bridge - but that is just my opinion

I follow the same rule. One year minimum is what I tell myself when I take a job. However, in practice I have always kept myself from even looking until I've been there for 18 months since I read that figure in some article. So far I've been averaging 2-3 years between jobs.

So working retail part time, would leaving after 3-5 months be kosher if the reason for leaving was seeking full-time work? Would a reference be unrealistic in this scenario?

1. Yes, a reference is likely unrealistic in 3-5 months.

2. You could be eligible for rehire if you play your cards right. Be nice, don't make people mad, do a good job, etc. If you don't get a full time stable position then leaving for a full time stable position can be understood by most reasonable bosses. Not all, but most.

3. Are you a new grad? Finding a dream job in 3-5 months is a lofty goal. Most "dream jobs" require a minimum of a couple years experience. I'm not sure why your original post said you assumed 4 months or so.

3. Are you a new grad? Finding a dream job in 3-5 months is a lofty goal. Most "dream jobs" require a minimum of a couple years experience. I'm not sure why your original post said you assumed 4 months or so.

Also, here is a healthy reminder that we live on planet Earth and not in a movie: once you land your "dream job" you will soon discover that it is still just a job and will probably let you down.

Source: some guy who landed multiple "dream jobs" before realizing you should just buy a fishing boat or something instead of obsessing about work.

Definitely not a dream job, but a little more interesting. I thought people went in and out of retail like opening and closing cereal boxes?
Another point is, the company is one of those that will be bought and taken over by another soon. At that point does it even matter? Wont the old company be dissolved, absorbed into the new one, destroying all labor records?

Definitely not a dream job, but a little more interesting. I thought people went in and out of retail like opening and closing cereal boxes?
Another point is, the company is one of those that will be bought and taken over by another soon. At that point does it even matter? Wont the old company be dissolved, absorbed into the new one, destroying all labor records?

Possibly, possibly not. As for pharmacists going in and out of retail....like the saying goes, this ain't 2005 anymore. Nobody in any pharmacy setting wants to waste time training a pharmacist who isn't going to stick around for more than a couple of months.