How to maximize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaminhippoParasite

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an MS-1 from a reputable UK school (Not Oxford/Cambridge but one of Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL). I am a dual UK/Canadian citizen. I feel am pretty set on path, but I recognize im quite callow and am functionally a layman in medical specialities/medicine in general lol. I am keeping an open mind in other specialities (Anesthesiology, IM, OB etc) but would like to show interest early on.

1) I'm fortunate to have 4 months of guaranteed hands-on CE in Canada at a University. I am wondering if Canadian CE is seen as equivalent to USCE? Would US observerships be seen as equivalent to USCE for pathology?

2) What can I do to show interest in Path? Would joining the Royal College of Pathologists help? Since my uni doesn't have a dedicated Path interest group, I was thinking of proposing one.

3) I am able to do summer research at Tufts, I am wondering what would look better–clinical or basic science research? I would assume most would see my research as a formality more than anything significant.

Thanks all for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Canadian CE won't be viewed the same as US CE. An observership in the US would help. However, having the Canadian CE is good to keep because that at least shows you went through an 'official' rotation and thus have at least an ok understanding of how Path works.

Societies help with showing interest, but that won't likely be anything that makes or breaks you in terms of getting a US path residency spot if that is your goal.

I would say just do research in what interests you. Basic science seems more impressive to me because fewer in medicine want to do it, but (and a big reason premeds/med students probably do less of it) it tends to be more difficult to get pubs/presentations out of it unless you jump into a lab that does small projects or is good at pumping out results.

Reactions: 1 user
Canadian CE won't be viewed the same as US CE. An observership in the US would help. However, having the Canadian CE is good to keep because that at least shows you went through an 'official' rotation and thus have at least an ok understanding of how Path works.

Societies help with showing interest, but that won't likely be anything that makes or breaks you in terms of getting a US path residency spot if that is your goal.

I would say just do research in what interests you. Basic science seems more impressive to me because fewer in medicine want to do it, but (and a big reason premeds/med students probably do less of it) it tends to be more difficult to get pubs/presentations out of it unless you jump into a lab that does small projects or is good at pumping out results.
Sorry I was drained yesterday and didn't have time to respond.

Thanks so much for your response :) really appreciate it! I am planning on trailing in basic science as its supposed to be pretty lax my first few years, hopefully to develop my research skills for the future!

Members don't see this ad :)
UK graduates generally have done well at CaRMS pathology. You will be better off applying to General Pathology which have less applicants. For example, in first round this year, Dalhousie general pathology matched 0 of 3 spots. Incidentally I know for sure there is a resident at Dalhousie GP who graduated from UK. There is another UK grad at Ottawa pathology as well.

UK graduates generally have done well at CaRMS pathology. You will be better off applying to General Pathology which have less applicants. For example, in first round this year, Dalhousie general pathology matched 0 of 3 spots. Incidentally I know for sure there is a resident at Dalhousie GP who graduated from UK. There is another UK grad at Ottawa pathology as well.
Tysm!! That's amazing to hear. Dal would be lovely haha, ofc anywhere in Canada is quite nice.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you not considering pathology residency in the UK?
Even though im dual citizen I lived in NA my whole life (family in Canada and the States), so that's probably the main thing. I would like to support my parents as they are both first-gen.

Compensation as well. I would be lying if I said that isnt a big factor

Length of training is four years longer which is kinda gross for the fact you're grossly underpaid

And finally from what I hear from r/medschoolUK and from extended family the NHS is going to s***; it doesn't seem conducive to having a good life in and out of the hospital. It's def hard to match as any IMG (whether from Cambridge or Carrib) but im down to take the risk :)

I heard the FRCPath UK histopathology pass rate can be as low as 60%, while in Canada and US it's >90%. That alone I think would be a big draw factor. In addition to the length of training and pay factors.

Online it says the standard NHS consultant salary is about 110K GBP/Yr, but I heard rumors there are private work which you can do for additional income. Can you find out if that's true? I am curious as to what the "real" compensation of pathologist in UK is.