Maximum number of interviews you will attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maximum number of interviews you will attend?

• 1-5

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 6-10

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • 11-15

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • 16-20

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • 21+

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Logos'

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.......

I just asked a similar question in the interview thread before I read this.

I was thinking about 8 or so, but have to admit that is a completely arbitrary number. However, there would seem to be no way that I have the cash or the time to interview at all 14 programs I applied to. (However, I may not get the chance to worry about it if I don't get any more interviews, because I am at 8 right now.)

I can't think of any logical reasoning behind any particular number, it all seems so arbitrary, but one would assume there are diminishing returns on interviews.

JulianDelphiki said:
I can't think of any logical reasoning behind any particular number, it all seems so arbitrary, but one would assume there are diminishing returns on interviews.

Stupid question - how many programs can we rank at Match time?

Members don't see this ad :)
geddy said:
Stupid question - how many programs can we rank at Match time?

NOT AT ALL...totally legit question, and i for one am not completely sure on the right answer...from reading somewhere online, it seems like you can rank 15 places [!!! jeez that seems like a lot] for free (well, not for free, but assuming you paid the $50 or so registration fee for NMRP in the first place), but if you want to rank more you have to pay more.

now again, i'm not sure if this info is correct or not so we'll have to wait 'til yaah/other path GURUS responds...

I think you're right - I can't exactly remember. What I do remember is that I ranked about 10 and there wasn't an additional charge. I would expect the NRMP website would tell you the real story. If I remember you could rank either 15 or 20 without an additional charge.

In any case, rank as many programs as you can, it doesn't hurt. Other than the potential financial cost if you rank too many, there are no penalties. The computer doesn't grade you down any because you ranked more places.

And, I am sure for the first time of many times saying this, RANK PROGRAMS IN THE ORDER YOU WANT TO GO TO THEM. Do not rank them in the order you think you are more likely to match to. If a program ranks you #1, for example, it doesn't matter one frog's butt whether you ranked them #1 or #25, if it comes down to that program on your list, that is where you will go. The algorithm favors you in that you will get your top choice that is open per the computer program.

People make mistakes in rank lists:
1) Not ranking enough programs
2) Not ranking a "reach" program #1 because they think they have no shot there.
3) Ranking a "reach" program #1 when you really don't want to go there.
4) Ranking a program higher because they told you they like you.

Very sound advice yaah. Thanks.

Also FYI, at our school they have some kind of graph where likelihood of matching is on the Y-axis and number of places on the rank list is on the X-axis. Apparently 7 is the number where your chances of matching significantly goes up (it wasn't a linear curve). So rank at least 7? I guess that's what I'll do.

So I could rank 7...rank 8, rank 10, or even rank 15. Screw it! Whatevah whatevah, I do what I want!

OK well here's a really stupid question...can we rank programs we didn't interview at? Say I get tired/broke and can't interview at more than 10 of 20 places....is it lame to rank all 20?

You can, but I don't think it is going to do you any good. In order to match to a program, they also have to rank you, and I highly doubt a program would rank students they didn't even interview - would prefer to fill a spot with a scrambler than try to fill with an unknown commodity.

from NMRP:
1 to 15 programs ranked-No Charge
Each additional program over 15-$30.00 per program ranked

$30 per program? :eek:

yaah said:
You can, but I don't think it is going to do you any good. In order to match to a program, they also have to rank you, and I highly doubt a program would rank students they didn't even interview - would prefer to fill a spot with a scrambler than try to fill with an unknown commodity.

Thanks. I figured...but it's always worth asking (especially when anonymous :D )

For what it's worth, I interviewed at 9 programs and found 3 that I liked enough to rank.

I've come to the point where I'll have to cancel interviews to make room for any more invites I receive. It's tough deciding which to keep and which to cancel. I'd like to visit them all but I've run out of room in my schedule (and dollars in my pockets). Someone posted that having more than 7 programs on your match list greatly increases your chances of matching. If I rank 10 wouldn't you say that's plenty? I do not want to cancel interviews and then end up not matching. Can anyone provide any statistics showing % med students matching in their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice and on?

Yeah...Is there really some truth behind the lucky rule of 7? I finally made it to golden #7 and am hoping this is a good sign for me. Does anyone have any clue on this?

They say doctors are some of the most suspicious people...I know I am, on a call night!