How to Interpret CBSE Equated Percent Correct Score? (OMFS Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndifferentOsteoblast

Reaction score
Historically, there's been an "ideal" CBSE score for OMFS applicants to shoot for, whether that was 70/200+ or 80/225+. My question is that, now that the scoring has gone to an equated percent correct, what is the new "ideal" score for a competitive applicant? Is there a conversion chart to understand how our score compares to other scores? For instance, I recently took one of the released NBME exams, and it told me my equated percent correct score was 76% and that there was a 99% chance of passing Step 1. My goal score was 80+, but now there's no way to tell. I appreciate any insight anyone might have on this matter!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the chart a resident shared at our omfs interest group meeting a few months back. I think it’s the same one that’s popped up a few times on other threads.
3A603916-A9BC-4911-8730-9105D2CCC537.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I was told still shoot for 78% EPC/230+ to be "safe"/competitive, but this obviously varies by program. Some don't care about CBSE as long as you pass, others have hard cutoffs (typically set by the medical schools).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing. So you think it's safe to say that, if you score >/= 78% correct, there's really no reason to retake because that surpasses 99%, if not all, program cutoffs and the time could be better spent going on externships, research, etc?

Thank you for sharing. So you think it's safe to say that, if you score >/= 78% correct, there's really no reason to retake because that surpasses 99%, if not all, program cutoffs and the time could be better spent going on externships, research, etc?
I definitely would not retake if you get 78%+. I would chat with PDs/residents at programs you are interested in and find out about specific cutoff scores. From what I know, being a "normal" person that people want to spend 80-100 hours a week with for years, that is hardworking and dedicated, is far more important than crushing the CBSE. It's just a test that, unfortunately, is the only real option right now for comparing applicants. Take it, pass/do well, and be well rounded and you should be fine. People that want to do OMS, they do OMS. Just keep checking off the boxes required to get you there. My $0.02 (worth nothing btw).

I definitely would not retake if you get 78%+. I would chat with PDs/residents at programs you are interested in and find out about specific cutoff scores. From what I know, being a "normal" person that people want to spend 80-100 hours a week with for years, that is hardworking and dedicated, is far more important than crushing the CBSE. It's just a test that, unfortunately, is the only real option right now for comparing applicants. Take it, pass/do well, and be well rounded and you should be fine. People that want to do OMS, they do OMS. Just keep checking off the boxes required to get you there. My $0.02 (worth nothing btw).
Even 78% with a poor (50th perentile) rank?

Even 78% with a poor (50th perentile) rank?
I’d defer to someone who is already a resident or PD. My guess, though, is that assuming the rest of your application is in great shape, it should be fine. 78% puts you right near the average score of the medical students. I’d say if you feel you can really improve from a 78%, to maybe mid-80s+ then do it. Personally, I wouldn’t want to spend another 6 months studying for it when I could just move on with my life and work on other areas. Studying for this all the time sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree on the personal attributes aspect. A very important part of the selection process

I completely agree on the personal attributes aspect. A very important part of the selection process
And it seems to be pretty overlooked by applicants. We’re all type A, data-driven people so stats/scores/grades seem to be the most important and objective things to improve and focus on. In reality, while those are important, our patients just want us to be someone that is compassionate, trustworthy, and competent/skilled. and you can’t really teach those first two things.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice for the last week before taking the CBSE? So far, I have exhausted UWorld, FA, pathoma, and sketchy, as well as completed UWSA1 and all released NBMEs. NBMEs have ranged from 70%-76%, with the higher scores being more recent. Now it feels like I'm only going through the motions ripping through UWorld blocks. What's the best way for me to use this remaining time?

Anyone have any thoughts or advice for the last week before taking the CBSE? So far, I have exhausted UWorld, FA, pathoma, and sketchy, as well as completed UWSA1 and all released NBMEs. NBMEs have ranged from 70%-76%, with the higher scores being more recent. Now it feels like I'm only going through the motions ripping through UWorld blocks. What's the best way for me to use this remaining time?
Do UWSA2, review FA high yields, and then play golf, go to breweries, and relax. That’s what I’ll be doing. If you don’t know it by ~Wednesday, you probably won’t know it Saturday. And it probably won’t even be on the test.

Reactions: 2 users
Do UWSA2, review FA high yields, and then play golf, go to breweries, and relax. That’s what I’ll be doing. If you don’t know it by ~Wednesday, you probably won’t know it Saturday. And it probably won’t even be on the test.
the advice of someone who wants to fluff the curve. i kid i kid

• Haha
the advice of someone who wants to fluff the curve. i kid i kid
the key to 250+ is not studying the 3 weeks leading up to the test and pounding bourbon the night before!!!! trust me!!!!!!! i'm an expert!!!!! who scored >260 using this method!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
I’d defer to someone who is already a resident or PD. My guess, though, is that assuming the rest of your application is in great shape, it should be fine. 78% puts you right near the average score of the medical students. I’d say if you feel you can really improve from a 78%, to maybe mid-80s+ then do it. Personally, I wouldn’t want to spend another 6 months studying for it when I could just move on with my life and work on other areas. Studying for this all the time sucks.
Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, a 78 puts you around the 90th percentile for medical students (probably higher for dental students)

Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, a 78 puts you around the 90th percentile for medical students (probably higher for dental students)

I think he’s talking about the average Step 1 score vs. CBSE. A 78 EPC on the CBSE is a 230 which is right around the average Med student score for Step 1.

Most med students that take the CBSE either haven’t started studying or just started dedicated so I don’t think the percentiles from NBME on the cbse hold much weight.

I think he’s talking about the average Step 1 score vs. CBSE. A 78 EPC on the CBSE is a 230 which is right around the average Med student score for Step 1.

Most med students that take the CBSE either haven’t started studying or just started dedicated so I don’t think the percentiles from NBME on the cbse hold much weight.
That makes sense. Med students seem to improve 30+ points on their CBSE scores when Step1 wasn't P/F.

So when we see the average CBSE score which is pretty low (~55-60 on the old scale) and it includes Med students as well I believe, is it fair to assume that the average for OMFS applicants is much higher (70+?) since this is our Step1 basically?

That makes sense. Med students seem to improve 30+ points on their CBSE scores when Step1 wasn't P/F.

So when we see the average CBSE score which is pretty low (~55-60 on the old scale) and it includes Med students as well I believe, is it fair to assume that the average for OMFS applicants is much higher (70+?) since this is our Step1 basically?

I think the average cbse for all omfs guys was an old scale 60 in 2021. Scores increased about a point each test so it should be around 63-65 for everyone taking it now.

In terms of average matched score I feel like it’s probably around the old scale 70 range but that’s purely my anecdotal opinion

I think the average cbse for all omfs guys was an old scale 60 in 2021. Scores increased about a point each test so it should be around 63-65 for everyone taking it now.

In terms of average matched score I feel like it’s probably around the old scale 70 range but that’s purely my anecdotal opinion
Why does it feel like the way people talk if you don't have an 80 old scale you can't get in anywhere

Why does it feel like the way people talk if you don't have an 80 old scale you can't get in anywhere

I think that’s a combo of sdn gunner vibes + the truth of that’s the “safe” score everyone aims for.

If you get an 80 you will probably get enough interviews to match, but there are plenty of people that match in the 70s for sure.

Just look at the match threads, many people are in the 70s getting a lot of interviews.

Yeah I’m talking about that score will put you at average for step 1. Old 70 is cutoff for lots of programs, and I’ve heard they don’t care all too much after that. they just want to make sure you’ll pass step in med school. Obviously it looks good the higher you score and can potentially compensate for weaker areas in your app. Also the “have to get 80+” ppl were the same ones demanding you need a 25+ DAT to get into dental school

I think it's possible you need closer to 80 to match right out of school, while you can get by with low 70s if you did a non cat year.

Does anyone actually have the stats of average CBSE of those that match straight out of school?

I think, intuitively, the cbse holds more weight for 6 year because of its relevance to step 1. This is not saying it doesn’t matter for 4 year. It’s probably fair to say, but not absolute, that 6 year programs are going to expect higher applicant scores.

On another note, a higher score is probably going to open more doors than a lower or borderline failing score. I don’t think people are saying this to incite fear or troll others. There’s truth to what they are saying. While it is true that 70 is the cutoff for a number of programs, that might not be the case for every single program, especially 6. The fact is scores are higher and more competitive now.