Research for omfs (as a dental student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airfryerwings

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight does research hold for omfs applications? I have 2-3 posters, 1 publication (not first author). How much weight will additional research help with omfs applications? Honestly not sure if I can balance externships, seeing patients, and trying to publish something (current D3). Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine it would carry a lot of weight for some of the higher caliber programs

A guy in my class was bottom 50% rank, essentially no ECs besides 1 poster/abstract and got 15/30 interviews because he got a 75+ EPC. Got interviews to every 6 year he applied to including some of the “high caliber” ones

Reactions: 1 users
I did plenty of research during undergrad which led to 2 coauthored publications in nerve regeneration research. Did a lot of research during dental school where I committed a lot of time on a weekly basis.

During interviews I had some attendings be impressed with it. However, I believe whatever benefits it had during my application was negligible. I was a strong applicant regardless and would most certainly have matched whether I did it or not.

I wholeheartedly regret this. It’s unnecessary to do research to get into OMFS.
That being said those programs that are really into research are probably the ones that want you to do a research project during your residency - again that’s a huge waste of time. Residency is meant for learning to operate.

Your most important objective is to do well academically, and do well during your externships. Score some high recommendations. This is what matters.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. Currently one of the chiefs at my program and sat in for interviews with my third years not long ago. Research didn’t make or break anyone.

Some of my attendings thought some applicants research was interesting and asked about it but not more than that.

Research for dental specialties is not as emphasized as medical residencies. From my perspective, you don't need a bunch of papers for dental residencies (depending on their institutional culture), even if the programs want you to do some while in training. The real focus is your professional hand-skills (and willingness to improve them) and your professional demeanor. Nail the tests to allay concerns about your academic foundation (which are significant for OMFS), but know what you have done clinically and why you want the rigor of OMFS for the next few years.

Spoke with a PD a few years back who said it only makes them say “wow” when an applicant has 5+ pubs

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. Currently one of the chiefs at my program and sat in for interviews with my third years not long ago. Research didn’t make or break anyone.

Some of my attendings thought some applicants research was interesting and asked about it but not more than that.
Was this a top program?

Was this a top program?
lol relax with this top program stuff. The fact of the matter is the three most important things to match are CBSE, class rank, and being a cool normal person that is honest, hardworking, and enjoyable to work with/hang out with

Reactions: 1 users
This is so passive aggressive and salty 😂
I’m sorry. I’ve seen too many dental students this year show me their rank list, and when I ask “Why did you like X so much?” They say “well, isn’t it a prestigious program?” 🤦‍♂️

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
This is so passive aggressive and salty 😂
Its true though. Lots of programs that are 'big names' actually don't train you well in the core parts of OMFS. More residents come out uncomfortable with full bonies/implants than people realize.