how to improve psych for ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Northerncardinal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time doing psych questions in uworld CK.
What sources can i utilize to overcome my weakness in psych?
I'm reviewing kalpan ck notes and also browsing through first aid step 1.

any suggestions would be appreciated. thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! For biostats, understanding and being able to apply the info in behavioural science section of first aid for step 1 is enough. Make sure you do lots of practise questions to get comfortable with quickly drawing out the 2 by 2 table and calculating specificity, sensitivity, PPV and NPV. For behavioural sciences the thing that helped me the most was Conrad Fischer 100 cases book. In fact I didn't read the whole book and just went through the first four chapters. Just those four chapters helped me develop a basic understanding of the foundational principals of bioethics and helped me to develop a feel for the right answer whenever I did questions. So I would say the first few chapters covering the FOUR core ethical principals ( beneficence, nonmaleficence, autonomy and justice) must be read at the very least and am confident that quickly going through the whole book may net you a few extra points. Lastly, a drug abstract may show up on the exam, where there is a huge passage followed by two to three questions. Best advice for that is to, at all costs, keep it for last in the block that contains it. First solve all other questions and then come back to it and deal with it based on the time you have left. Do not read the whole passage from start to finish; rather, read the questions one by one and then refer back to the passage to look for answers. Hope it helps.

Reactions: 1 user

I did OnlineMedEd first and then did the Psych UW section untimed on tutor mode to mostly learn the material. I did 20 questions a night when studying for my shelf exam last month. I started off averaging 55% on the first two 20 question block, but after reading every explanation and reviewing I averaged between 70-80% from that point on on every 20 question block. OME helped me a lot and IMHO that's all that you need really. Read all the explanations.

Remember that the UWorld website for the CK section says that it expects people to average between 50-60% the first time they do questions so that people can learn 40-50% of new information that they previously didn't know. The point is to make you learn new information and connect dots and fill up the gaps in your knowledge and give you a strong foundation to answer almost any psych question the majority of the time.

A lot of upperclassmen gave me this advice - use the UW qbank only as a learning tool. So don't beat yourself up if you're missing questions. Just learn from your mistakes. To see how you're doing, take self assessments.

Reactions: 1 user