How to get research experience when I need post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mriyain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am considering the DO career path. I was pre-dental for the longest time but after much shadowing decided that I couldn't focus on the mouth for my whole life/career and I wanted to be able to connect with patients much more. I'm still shadowing DO's, so nothing's set in stone.

Anyway, dental schools don't really care about research on applications, so I never considered doing it in undergrad. Additionally, I messed up a lot with my science grades the first 2 years of undergrad (just a lot of personal life problems in addition to not knowing how to study honestly) so even if I did apply to research positions I wouldn't have gotten them with my transcript. I'm only a junior in undergrad so I may have the chance to do it my senior year, especially with good science grades on my junior year transcript. However, I might not have time for it because of the course load I'll have.

I absolutely will have to do some sort of post bacc program to replace all of my C's, and I know there are so many people on this site who have had to do the same. My questions to y'all is how did you get research experience if you did? Like, is it possible to get research experience while you do a post-bacc program for example? Additionally, how much does research experience matter for DO schools?

I hope my questions make sense! And I'm sorry if this seems unnecessarily long, I just don't know how much y'all need to know about me to answer questions like this! And I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if there's like a massive thread about this that I've never seen.

Members don't see this ad.

Get good grades in post bac, get good grade in MCAT, get relevant healthcare experience, get acceptance call.

I know your story all too well... I graduated undergrad with a 2.6 something GPA lol... and I just got an acceptance call to med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Get good grades in post bac, get good grade in MCAT, get relevant healthcare experience, get acceptance call.
so research experience isn't crucial? I was planning on working as a CNA during post-bacc so I'll have healthcare experience

CNA work is tough work, I did it, and it got me into medical school. And I would worry more about gpa and Mcat rather than research.

CNA work is tough work, I did it, and it got me into medical school. And I would worry more about gpa and Mcat rather than research.
Yes, that's why I want to do it, I need to make sure this is really what I want to do and if I'm up to the challenge of really caring for patients :) Thanks for your help! Can I ask how long you worked as a CNA? Did you have a lot of additional volunteering/shadowing on top of that?

Yes, that's why I want to do it, I need to make sure this is really what I want to do and if I'm up to the challenge of really caring for patients :) Thanks for your help! Can I ask how long you worked as a CNA? Did you have a lot of additional volunteering/shadowing on top of that?

CNA will be really tough to balance with school work. I would recommend hospital or free clinic volunteering as that is more flexible. Your main priority is getting good grades and an MCAT.

CNA will be really tough to balance with school work. I would recommend hospital or free clinic volunteering as that is more flexible. Your main priority is getting good grades and an MCAT.
I was/am going to make another thread asking about that. I know it's going to be a lot of work and I need to look at all my options/make a timeline before I commit to doing anything during school or after post-bacc. Lots to plan and think about. Thank you :)

Yes I had additional volunteering and shadowing experience. I worked as a CNA for 1 year now.