How to get dhal thats thick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance... I am new to the cooking experience. Exactly how do I get the dhal gravy to be thick? Do I use ghee? Coconut milk? And if so... do I add these things before or after the dhal is cooked? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

HistoRocks said:
Pardon my ignorance... I am new to the cooking experience. Exactly how do I get the dhal gravy to be thick? Do I use ghee? Coconut milk? And if so... do I add these things before or after the dhal is cooked? Thanks.
I think there is a different dahl for that.

use less water in cooking, so your dahl will be thicker!

Other idea that some cheap restaurants use is-- add some tissue paper paste! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
HistoRocks said:
depends on the daal......
boil it in cooker...so that its soft......drain water....
in a pan....add...butter.. sour cream......cumin seeds.....onions......aamchoor.....anaaadana.....ginger garlic paste......and whatever u feel like.......fry well.......add daal to this.......u will get a perfect punjabi daal.....thick.....daal makni..

meetlife said:
in a pan....add...butter.. sour cream......cumin seeds.....onions......aamchoor.....anaaadana.....ginger garlic paste......and whatever u feel like.......fry well.......add daal to this.......u will get a perfect punjabi daal.....thick.....daal makni..
sour cream and dahl really?

I never heard of sour cream in daal before.

sunny123 said:
why haven't us canadians heard of this thing? :laugh:

data said:
why haven't us canadians heard of this thing? :laugh:
This must be a new desi invention that has taken some time to cross to our waters :laugh: .

sunny123 said:
This must be a new desi invention that has taken some time to cross to our waters :laugh: .
Well us canadians, we got teh syrup flowing through our veins. We can't be bothered with sourcream and dahl.

sunny123 said:
yep...now the sour cream is not the very sour thing...in US its sold as sour cream.............it just gives that creamy base to the daal makhni.......some people in punjab use..plain cream..........white butter.....malai..tastes...yummy....

meetlife said:
yep...now the sour cream is not the very sour thing...in US its sold as sour cream.............it just gives that creamy base to the daal makhni.......some people in punjab use..plain cream..........white butter.....malai..tastes...yummy....
taste sweet?

How much of this malai is used in daal?

sunny123 said:
took sometime..saat samundar paas karne mein der lagi na.....

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
How much of this malai is used in daal?
depends.........one fourth of a bowl for one bowl of dhal(uncooked).....

sunny123 said:
question why does yogurt go with every indian dish?

meetlife said:
depends.........one fourth of a bowl for one bowl of dhal(uncooked).....
what other dishes do you know? i'm going to have to write all this down.

data said:
She is our designated Punjabi chef.

data said:
Pindi Cholle
Matar paneer
Yellow Dhal
Butter Chicken....
I can cook almost all punjabi dishes.....
Trying my hands on bengali dishes these days......

meetlife said:
Pindi Cholle
Matar paneer
Yellow Dhal
Butter Chicken....
how do u make matar paneer?
anyone know how to make naan?

data said:
question why does yogurt go with every indian dish?
to give the creamy base......actually all punjabi dishes need to be cooked with white butter for the real punjabi taste.....but all those things about cholesterol.......and all......so dahi is a good substitute for butter and cream.....so like its refined oil and curd......

sunny123 said:
Arre data!!
I had....misthi dahi yesterday.....great.....
me going for dinner tonight.....
the menu is.....(forgot the bengali names.... :( )
the green.......mix vegetable thing
aloo posto
dohi chicken
sandesh......
:love: :love:

meetlife said:
aloo posto
dohi chicken
sandesh......
the green vege stuff - kichuri? or is torkari?

get some rasogolla!! :D

data said:
how do u make matar paneer?
anyone know how to make naan?
boil matar
fry paneer....light brown......(buy pre-fried at Indian Store)
add half spoon butter...cumin seeds,curry pata,minced garlic ...one bada elaichi.....and fry.......till the aroma fills the room......keep aside
little oil.....add 1 onion.....till golden brown....half spoon ginger garlic paste......1 tomato....3 green chillies....salt......little garam masala.....amchoor.......fry.......add boiled matar....add little water and cook...after 3-4 min..add paneer.....cook .....and in the end add butter wala masaala.......u prepared.....cook for 1 min....its done..

sunny123 said:
the green vege stuff - kichuri? or is torkari?

get some rasogolla!! :D
its something with S.....

sunny123 said:
She is our designated Punjabi chef.
Thanks....me learning bengali as well....

DrGarfield said:
use less water in cooking, so your dahl will be thicker!

Other idea that some cheap restaurants use is-- add some tissue paper paste! :p

I did not know this (assuming you are serious). You do have to add a certain amount of water, otherwise the dhal won't cook. Tks for mentioning tomatoe paste; that works well with curries. When I put it to the dhal, result was a broth, but this did not affect the thickness of the actual dhal in any way.

meetlife said:

I never considered this. The way I have seen it done is the dhal is washed, covered with water, & the spices are added. After it has cooked for some time, onion or green chillie is added. Do you really use sour cream? That is what ppl use for cheesecake. :laugh: But of course ghee & coconut milk r equally popular. I tried evaporated milk; hopeless. I will try your idea; ginger garlic is very appealing.

meetlife said:
to give the creamy base......actually all punjabi dishes need to be cooked with white butter for the real punjabi taste.....but all those things about cholesterol.......and all......so dahi is a good substitute for butter and cream.....so like its refined oil and curd......

Punjabi's sound like high-cholestrol ppl! :laugh: Can't complain; I love butter naan.

HistoRocks said:
I never considered this. The way I have seen it done is the dhal is washed, covered with water, & the spices are added. After it has cooked for some time, onion or green chillie is added. Do you really use sour cream? That is what ppl use for cheesecake. :laugh: But of course ghee & coconut milk r equally popular. I tried evaporated milk; hopeless. I will try your idea; ginger garlic is very appealing.
I am so surprised......why do people feel ...sour cream can not be added to the food.......daal makni........butter chicken have a base of yoghurt or sour cream..........this sour craem is not a spoilt thing.......its just the name.......its not sour......its just plain cream......
the daal you are saying is probably the yellow daal...for that .....I always make the "tadka" or masala...seperately and add later.........
I always add ginger-garlic paste to my food.......

punjabi's never never never add....coconut milk to their food......not available....

I dunno....usually onions are the first thing to be cooked.....not later......

Regional differences.

HistoRocks said:
Punjabi's sound like high-cholestrol ppl! :laugh: Can't complain; I love butter naan.
yep.........I love garlic naan........amritsari kulcha.....

'm coming!drooooool!yummm!trying to cook bengali dishes too?kyon?koi bengali doctor mil gaya kya? :laugh: :laugh:
meetlife said:
Pindi Cholle
Matar paneer
Yellow Dhal
Butter Chicken....

ahhhh re!alu-posto& kolai-daal!my fav.!'m i being invited? :laugh:
meetlife said:
aloo posto
dohi chicken
sandesh......

prady said:
'm coming!drooooool!yummm!trying to cook bengali dishes too?kyon?koi bengali doctor mil gaya kya? :laugh: :laugh:
searching for one........