Indian Medical Schools other than KMC that allow practice in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowfox87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

One of my cousins is in India. She is very smart and she could get into most of the schools. I just want to know is it better to go to AUA (KMC) vs a higher ranking medical school like AIIMS? I mean AIIMS is the top medical school in India, but will she be able to practice in USA if she goes there. That is, all these other schools other than AUA (KMC) give MBBS not MD. Can these students who get MBBS take the USMLEs?

So my question is which indian medical schools are ECFMG certified other than AUA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hate to burst the bubble you're living in, but AIIMS is one of the top medical schools in the world. They take not more than 40 students out of a 120,000 which sit for its entrance exam. I assure you, those who get in, are nothing short of absolute genius.

AUA started in 2005. It's a 2nd tier caribbean medical school. It has no comparison whatsoever with AIIMS. That's borderline insulting for AIIMS actually.

To answer the second part of your question, it won't matter much where you're relative gets her medical degree. MBBS or MD. She will have to get ECFMG certified in the end and that would make her degree "equivalent" to the US MD. Following this she would need to take all the licensure exams and match into a residency. Depending on which state in the US she wishes to practice, you should check out the list of medical schools it's medical board approves/recognizes. I believe the California Medical Board list is the most sort after.

http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

All aside, an MBBS from AIIMS is probably one of the most respected medical degrees in the world.

I hate to burst the bubble you're living in, but AIIMS is one of the top medical schools in the world. They take not more than 40 students out of a 120,000 which sit for its entrance exam. I assure you, those who get in, are nothing short of absolute genius.

AUA started in 2005. It's a 2nd tier caribbean medical school. It has no comparison whatsoever with AIIMS. That's borderline insulting for AIIMS actually.

To answer the second part of your question, it won't matter much where you're relative gets her medical degree. MBBS or MD. She will have to get ECFMG certified in the end and that would make her degree "equivalent" to the US MD. Following this she would need to take all the licensure exams and match into a residency. Depending on which state in the US she wishes to practice, you should check out the list of medical schools it's medical board approves/recognizes. I believe the California Medical Board list is the most sort after.

All aside, an MBBS from AIIMS is probably one of the most respected medical degrees in the world.

I know of several university based residency programs that will take an AIIMS graduate and treat them as if they are US grads. Usually they treat them as top tier US grads but at least mid tier.

Never heard of KMC.

I don't think you quite understood my question. I am well aware of AIIMS as I'm from India myself. The question I was asking was if the goal is US certification, is it better to go to a low-ranked Caribbean med school or a high ranked Indian med school like AIIMS. Since you have to take all the USMLEs again anyways.

The above poster answered my question.