How to choose psychiatry away rotations to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frizzyhair

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering doing a couple of away rotations as a 4th year student. Hopefully, this would be a way to get my foot in the door and get an interview (or maybe match) at a program that I am interested in. However, I don’t have a specific program in mind that I would like to visit. I thought that asking some questions about the away rotation application process would help me narrow down what electives I should apply for.

Is it better to complete a “sub-internship” than an outpatient rotation? Or does it not really matter what elective you pick? (in terms of potentially getting an interview at the program)

Should away rotations be done at “reach” programs? Or is this largely a waste of time? (Maybe the program extends you a courtesy interview, but you still have little chance of matching there.)

Would doing an away rotation have a greater impact at a smaller program that only takes a few visiting students?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I go to a mid sized university program who takes a fair number of away students and doing an away here really helps.

Is it better to complete a “sub-internship” than an outpatient rotation? Or does it not really matter what elective you pick? (in terms of potentially getting an interview at the program)

Better to do a sub-i in an inpatient rotation rather than an outpatient one. Medical students are much better incorporated into the hospital structure. Pick a sub-i where you'll work directly with residents who are in their core rotation. You'll get a sense for how happy they are with their education and lifestyle. An elective where you'll only be working with the attendings can also be misrepresentative of the training as a resident.

Don't pick an elective for residents or a sub-i where you'll be working with fellows You'll minimize the chance they can vouch for you and have a limited view about the residency program. An acute adult inpatient psych rotation is usually best, but so is C/L or emergency psychiatry if there's a dedicated psychiatric emergency room. Ideally you'll work with attendings and resident who are on and/or have clout with the admissions committee, but this is much harder to figure out unless you have insider scoop on the program. This is of course if you are a nice person and perform well.

Should away rotations be done at “reach” programs? Or is this largely a waste of time? (Maybe the program extends you a courtesy interview, but you still have little chance of matching there.)

The only away rotations you should do are at reach programs. Many programs extend an interview and will rank anyone who does an away rotation at their program. This is much better than not getting an interview which tends to be more formulaic (based on step scores, clerkship grades, etc).

Would doing an away rotation have a greater impact at a smaller program that only takes a few visiting students?

Do an away rotation only at places you are strongly considering for residency. Size of the program only matters if the faculty and residents are close enough that they can discuss how interested you are in going there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking to make a good impression and get a good sense of what the program is like -do inpatient, C/L, or emergency psychiatry at a site where the residents rotate. definitely dont do outpatient for any reason other than to see what it's like. you likely won't get much if any hands on experience in the outpatient setting.

Reactions: 3 users
I would actually say try working with attendings rather than residents, though in a setting where you can actually do something. ER is a great choice and you will learn a lot.

Do an away rotation only at places you are strongly considering for residency.

In my opinion this is the best advice and a good starting point for you. Use these away rotations as an opportunity to get some sense of if you could see yourself as a resident in that program.

I would always tell this to every applicant I interviewed: use away rotations and your interviews as a chance to get as much information about the programs as possible. Although nothing is worse than an unmatched applicant, a regretful/dissatisfied resident is a close second. You may have the option to transfer programs at a certain point (and of course sometimes there are unforeseen aspects of a program you didn’t know about before starting your residency there) but I would highly recommend ranking programs based more on how much of a good fit they are for you as it increases your chance of thriving in that program and your overall satisfaction. Residency was brutal at times but it was because I loved so many aspects of my program that it helped motivate me to push on and it prevented burnout.

Last edited:
I am probably the biggest proponent of away rotations on this forum. :p

Would strongly recommend doing an away at reach programs, especially if you get along well with others. Worst case scenario you learn a lot of cool new stuff!

I was a low-average candidate from an unknown state school in the midwest... out of the whim applied to a "well known" institution on the east coast. Ended up matching within their system for residency and stayed for fellowship.

Reactions: 1 users